Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 26, 1998
I have used this book extensively in my college level literature and composition class. It has proven an invaluable resource for those seeking information on topics ranging from analysis of poetry to dramatic interpretation to stylistic movement within a piece of writing. The text offers specific examples within its lessons and includes many unabridged sources including poems, short stories, and plays. I highly recommend this book to any who seek to expand their knowledge of literary structure, sound, and sense. It will prove valuable as you struggle to expand as a writer, reader, and thinker.
on November 22, 1998
*SS&S* is a great book for anyone who enjoys serious literature. I have not read this, the latest edition, but I doubt that the content has changed significantly.
What makes this book so good is the fact that it is highly readable. The stories, poems, and plays selected for the text are chosen to appeal to a wide audience. A plethora of writers that span the Middle Ages to the mid-20th century appear within these pages. It is a wonderful overview of English literature, and I feel that it makes a much better book than the Nortan Anthologies simply because it doesn't focus on one medium, nation, or time period.
What also appeals to me about this text is the space given to non-Shakespearean authors, esp. of the Elizabethan times. Too often, ol' *Romeo*'s bard pops up, and we are deprived of a chance to learn about other (and possibly greater) writers, such as Jonson, Marlowe, and (my favorite) Donne.
Five years ago, I complete my high school senior English lit. course with the fifth edition of this text. My teacher was sufficiently impressed with my taking to the volume that she discreetly "loaned" me an old fourth edition. This red tome has journeyed across the country with me, and I hope is that one day my children and grandchildren will derive as much pleasure from it as I have. Whenever I feel the urge to read something substantial but not take a few weeks to do so, *SS&S* has always been there for me. Order this book, and you will never need for a short classic again.
on October 3, 2004
I am currently using this textbook in my AP English Literature class and this is one of the best English text books that I have used so far.

It really provides numerous poetry (famous and not-famous) with in-depth questions that I find very helpful for me to study
on June 13, 2013
'already did this! Laudatory comments made & submitted - Whaaa; d'yooz looze my comments??
Anyway, the Book is Great; the Process was painless (and cost efficient) and Experience was Positive. Tnx.
on May 1, 2000
I have this book for a college level English class, and I absolutely love it! The best part about it is the depth and quality of its selection of poems and stories. I found it to be a comprehensive collection of the best that literature has to offer.
on June 1, 2006
i originally got this book because I needed it for a class. In the end I used it for much longer. Its really good and I recommend it
on December 18, 1999
I have not yet read this particular book, but I have read the majority of this material in the Norton Anthologies. I did take some time to browse through the index; I was impressed by the variety of authors represented within. It is a general literature book intended for lower level literature classes, yet it includes many classic novellas and poems. I feel this book will provide a solid foundation for those who are interested in familiarizing themselves with the works of classic literature that have set the standard for the English language.
on October 3, 2001
Read this book for Freshman English in high school. nice alternative to a textbook. Wouldn't really want to read this outside of class.