Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Essentials of Geometry for College Students (2nd Edition)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 26, 2014
This is a terrible book. Hard to read. I bought it for a class without realizing there were online materials for the class. It turned out that I barely used this book at all and just used the online tutorials provided by the class - because this book was so difficult to manage. It is not a book for anyone who needs to know "essentials" - it is not written by anyone who understands what "basic" math students need to know. I spent most of my time surfing the internet for what I needed to know instead of using this book. I have used much better math books in the past - therefore I can validly compare this book to others and it comes off very poorly.
on June 3, 2006
I only own a copy of the first edition (1990), but unless adding a new author (Brown) or drastically changing the text has greatly improved anything, the book doesn't try for much more than its title indicates. Like many other college introductory geometry texts, this isn't much more than high-school-level geometry without all the colorful pictures and stories that are supposed to make the topic fun and show the application of geometry to our lives (making this book about a third the size of most high school texts).

This book is not bad, and is probably fine for the student who just needs a basic understanding of Euclidean plane geometry (with chapters on solid and analytical geometry, and trig). Many of the theorems are proved (two-column proofs). The exercises are more into reinforcing the chapter contents (solving numerical problems and showing concept understanding) than in exploring new material and applications.

For authors that introduce a more rigorous approach, and show how beautiful geometry can be; try Coxeter and Posamentier.
on September 15, 2013
This is geometry after all. It has helped me some with my homework, but it is just a textbook and I think for the most part they are all pretty much alike - just depends on the person and what you are personally looking for.
on August 25, 2013
I was looking for a cheep textbook for my geometry class and this book caught my eye. For the price, it wasn't so bad and it was way more affordable than if I was to buy it from the college textbook store. I saved $40! The regular price for a used textbook was about $90 and new was over $100. The shipping was fast and affordable. The condition of the textbook met my expectations and I would highly recommend this textbook at a cheep a reasonable price since textbook editions change almost every semester.
on September 29, 2012
I bought a used version. The book was practically new and clean from highlights or markings. The contents of the book are very basic and, like most geometry books, is very proof heavy. It definitely reinforces its material through its own agenda under practice exercises, chapter reviews, and study reviews. However, it lacks any new approaches or a better, systematic understanding of the concept of geometry. It doesn't do anything nor introduce new ways to better enhance proofs, deductive and inductive reasoning, or geometric means of finding angles.

If you need your basics and essentials then go for this book, otherwise if you're looking to broaden or expand your geometry, you will have to look elsewhere.
on July 5, 2014
At first I was happy to receive this book at such an affordable price, but recently I discovered the book was missing 32 pages. I had to borrow my instructors book to complete my homework assignments.
on July 21, 2014
This book is a condensed version of a regular high school Geometry course....1 year compressed so that is could be taught in a semester. As such it has selected the most important topics and eliminated items that are used less frequently. Having taught high school for many years, that was a little difficult for me to get used to. However I don't think that it hurt my students understanding at all. Explanations are good, but sometimes a bit too brief. Many of the Theorems are stated in the text and left for proof in the exercises with answers in the back of the book. Still it is a lot to cover in a 3 unit course (45 hours) compared to the approximate 150 hours for a year long high school class.
on September 22, 2013
I really am glad I was able to get this book used otherwise it would of been a lot more and it really comes in handy for my geometry class I am taking.
on October 13, 2014
Love this book, I have learned and mastered Geometry with this book.
on August 31, 2015
It did it' job, got me through the class.