Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Art: A Brief History (5th Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 29, 2014
The is the text for a course that I am taking, otherwise I would not buy it. Like all text books it is a total rip off and this one is written for people with a very limited span of attention. It skims over the top of things...and I really mean skims. If you are a serious art student, use an electronic version at a quarter the price because this is not a keeper. It's more of a coffee table book than a serious text book. I get more good art information from You Tube and other internet searches than this book provides. It is ok for this course that I'm taking, but that is a bit of disappointment, too.
on October 30, 2012
I got it as a necessity for an art history class I'm taking. Overall, it is a great book. The chapters aren't too lengthy, cover good information and are rather fun to read. They have good examples of art works with plenty of pictures. While the price is a bit high, the book is good.
on September 3, 2013
I bought this book for a college course in art history, and the book really helps me along because it has so many details about the art as well as the history (it says "brief," but there's still a lot in it). I haven't yet read it all of the way through, but I know I'm going to enjoy this course because of the book!
on June 6, 2015
Love that I'm renting this text as it was very expensive to purchase and has nothing to do with my major. Contains many colorful artwork and has interesting information about artists and time periods.
on October 5, 2012
I don't have the actual book, but I do have the ebook on kindle for my computer and it is great! The pictures are clear, and I don't have to lug a book around when I have my laptop with me which is a huge plus!
on February 9, 2016
As far as academic texts are concerned, this is one of the most distractingly opinionated textbook that is necessary for my degree program. Much of the book is taken up by Stokstad's opinion on how a piece of art and architecture strikes her and makes her feel. Everything I've ever been taught about writing academic papers or textbooks very specifically denotes that one should leave their own personal opinions out of the paper. Now, I fully understand why. Every time I come across a personal observation in the middle of a properly academic description, it derails my train of thought. It's reminiscent of someone interrupting after you have gotten invested in reading a book, and every time having to get over the initial shock once again.

To add further insult to this, I have come across a number of blank photos with the words "This item omitted from WebBook edition." This is the medium with which the text has been made available to us by this school. Personally, I find that publishing an art textbook with missing art is absurd.
on January 31, 2013
Not only does this book, and of course its author, have a great reputation, but I especially like the loose leaf version I bought. No more reading a four pound tome; I just take out the chapters I need and I'm good to go. Easy Peasy!
on September 13, 2013
It was cheaper AND it arrived earlier than expected,
which is greatly appreciated because I found out i needed it earlier than I thought and contacted them.^^
Even though they said shipping couldn't be upgraded, it was delivered fairly quickly.
I love how it came with a purple binder and it seems like new / gently (delicately) used...
Their customer service is also very helpful and easy to reach.
on November 2, 2014
Not a new product as advertised. I was disappointed for the price. But it arrived so late in the semester that I could not afford to send it back for a refund. I still feel that afterwave of being cheated for my money. Yet, it is a well written text.
on December 13, 2014
Informative and interesting read on the history of art. If I hadn't rented it out of necessity, I probably would have bought it at some point.
My only gripe is that the authors use the words "sumptuous", "sensuous", and "luscious" far too often and it nearly drove me mad. CHOOSE DIFFERENT ADJECTIVES RRURGH.