on September 14, 2014
i love the way it is written. It is a perfect time line of how we as human beings develop from the moment our moth conceives until death and the grieving process. The chapters are long but each chapter is broken up into sections with reviews at the end of every chapter. Over all enjoyed this book.
on September 22, 2013
Very useful for the graduate course I have taken. There are few things about hindu scriptures (Dharmasashtras) which are wrongly defined. Whatever the author talk about hindu religion and caste system is to be updated with relevant sources. The author says that 80% of the people of India are hindus. Never, Hindus are less than 50% excluding the Dalits and Tribals who are not hindus as they are not caste-ridden people. A hindu is born and die with caste and casteless people are not hindus according to hindu scriptures. Dalits and Tribal people are more than 27% of the total population of India which includes the converts of Buddhists and Christians. Muslims are 18% which includes Dalit converts. The Converts (caste people) from hinduism to Christianity are at least 3%. Sikhs and other minorities compose around 5% to 7%. India was never a Hindu nation. It was under Buddhism largely under Buddhist rulers for more than 1000 years, it was under Muslims for nearly 500 years and it was under Christians (British colonial rulers) for 300 years. You don't have specific Empire builders as hindus. Most of the hundu rulers were peripheral rulers in different places without any standing army. The author has to review his beginning chapters with actual facts which are not unhistoric. You cannot frame history with myths and stories. Buddhism is the first full-fledged religion with scientific reasons but without any god or supernatural powers. The author has no place to mention the contribution of Buddhism for human development in the Indian subcontinent. Moreover, every major religion in the world has one god as the head of the religion but hinduism has no any specific god as such. Hinduism is not a single religion and it is a religion of religions within headed by thousands of gods and goddesses.
-Sakya Mohan
on January 7, 2014
Excellent condition! Description fit to a tee! The only thing missing was access code for MyDevelopment Lab, didn't think I needed it when I bought it. Other than that being my fault, I'm a happy customer.
on April 18, 2014
I dislike school, do not get me wrong, I am good at academics, i just do not enjoy them. This book, however, was engaging and wasn't repeating the same information that I have read in other human development books. I am glad my professor picked this book for our class.
on May 22, 2014
I really liked this textbook, so much so that I actually looked into the author to learn more about him and his work. There is a personal touch to each section of development (Arnett talks about his teenage years, emerging adulthood, middle age, etc.) and gives to the point descriptions of every stage. It doesn't get too medical or abstract but simply states the facts and disproves myths about growing older. I especially liked how he included how different cultures perceive each stage of life. Great book
on February 11, 2014
I like this textbook because it is written very well. Its not as "boring", I guess you could say, as other textbooks for some pyschology courses. The information in the text is very clear cut and to the point and that helps out greatly especially when you don't care much for reading. This text got me through my developmental pyschology course very well. I ended with an A+ (101.0% GPA).
on August 29, 2013
First of, I didn't know that I needed access code to go to MDL. I got an access code on my pearson, only to find out that I can't access notes with that access code. I need a new code for that. Not too pleased with that. It's expensive enough to buy the book. That needs to change. Not really pleased. The material in the book itself is great!
on April 27, 2013
Bad book. Several too many content errors that I noticed, and I'm only an undergraduate student. I get the impression that the author of the book wasn't qualified to cover the breadth of material he attempted. Probably would have been better with some collaboration, especially in the physical development sections. Really, no one, regardless of how intelligent or educated they are, is qualified to write a freaking textbook on the cross-cultural physical, emotional, cognitive, and social development of humans. He needed help.

The chapter exams provided by mydevelopmentlab to accompany the book also have many, many errors.

I know that first editions usually have kinks to iron out, but I was disappointed. If you're a student and you have to buy it for a course, then you're SOL. If you're a professor, please don't inflict this on your classes. Maybe the second edition will be better.
on May 16, 2014
We used this book for a Child Psych class at my college. Why we used this instead of an actual child psych textbook, I'm not sure... But I did like the book.
on June 12, 2016
I just opened the book and the spine of it is broken, there's cuts in it, and there is tape on the pages. This was not in the description.
review image