Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Evaluating Practice: Guidelines for the Accountable Professional (5th Edition)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 21, 2005
I was pleased to hear that this text had been assigned in a graduate research course at my graduate school of social work. I'm seriously disappointed. I would not recommend this text's continued use. It is excessively repetitive, constantly restating previous material (commonly referred to as 'rehashing'), and, as a sidebar, i can't help but mention an irritating habit of unnecessary references to material yet to come ('we'll talk about that more in chapter 14.'). The writing style is terribly wordy, and in a weighted, clunky pseudo-conversational style that rarely is effective in a textbook. The actual technical information is obscured in a constant river of verbiage, usually in page after page of solid block text, the least helpful format when learning technical information (or when subsequently searching for specific information or techniques). The result? It serves as a strong sedative. Finally, the authors repeatedly express apologies, in what eventually (by page 350) feels like an obsequious and cloying manner, for putting forward an empirical and accountable approach to clinical practice. The worst, though, is the repetition of material, as if the reader were an idiot. The sheer relentlessness of it is what is so galling, and at $100 bucks, neither affordable nor worth the investment. There are other texts out there with clearer, cleaner, more articulate prose, that are more respectful of the reader, and at half the price, such as the classic and affordable: Single-Case Research Designs: Methods for Clinical and Applied Settings by Alan E. Kazdin. Ignore the pollyanna reviews above and below, and avoid this text, or if on the syllabus, protest and suggest an alternative.
on June 10, 2016
I purchased this textbook for a graduate-level research class in an MSW program. It's certainly not the worst textbook I've ever used but not the best either. I found Chapter 1 to be particularly challenging because of the content and the layout of the pages (LOTS of text in block format). I honestly could not stay awake as I read Chapter 1. Even though I took a research class last year and was familiar with most of the terminology, I found that the explanations in the book were lengthy and confusing. However, after Chapter 1, the tone of the book lightened up. I appreciated the almost-conversational style the authors used because it made the material much more readable for me. There were some terms that the book didn't explain well (like positive and negative reactivity). Fortunately, our professor was aware of the poor explanation and was able to explain it to the class in her own words.

The book provides a lot of information about doing good research. If I were going to go into research or pursue a PhD I would keep it as a resource for the future. However, I don't see this textbook as one that I will keep after this class is over.
on October 29, 2013
This book is awful. As a serious student who makes excellent grades and takes learning quite seriously, this book is insulting. As the previous reviewer stated, it repetitive to the point that every chapter says the same thing. It's far too long and far too expensive. I am in a dual Social Work and Public Health program, and this is my fourth methods course that I have taken. I understand the value of a good textbook, and this is most certainly NOT a good text book. If you are a student required to have this book, buy the older edition and save yourself some money - the citations are not super current even in this sixth edition, you won't be missing much at all.
on November 13, 2003
Bloom, Fischer and Orme continue to make an unique contribution to improving practice in the human services by providing a road map by which practitioners can evaluate their effectiveness. I've been using their text book for over 15 years in teaching practice evaluation and in has been an invaluable help. The new edition has a CD Rom with SingWin, CAAP,and CAAS which I was able to install in Windows XP Home edition. You must install CAAS before CAAP for it to work. The sofware computerizes record keeping, score computation, and graph construction. I strongly reccommend this textbook for human services faculty.
on August 2, 2013
Excellent reading. This item arrived on time and is an excellent purchase.
I like it very much and am VERY glad I ordered it. Thank you so much Amazon.com for the great price, good value and prompt delivery. I use this item frequently.
on September 20, 2014
Was a required textbook. I kept it because it had some good reference material. I'd have disliked going through it chapter by chapter though.
on February 17, 2014
It's fine. Easy to read and understand. Wish there were more examples in the book. Required reading for my MSW program.
on December 27, 2015
Not easy to use book...prologue very difficult!!!
on November 13, 2015
The textbook was in excellent condition.
on September 25, 2014
Perfect for the class I needed it for.