Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sociology: A Down- to- Earth Approach
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on September 22, 2010
I needed this book for a sociology course and I think it is fantastic! The author has done an amazing job to help readers easily relate to the subject and keep it interesting by describing his own experiences & other people's experiences around the world. The definitions are even in boldface & described on the page so that you don't have to keep flipping back to the glossary. The book is informative, yet delightful as the author shows you how to use your sociological imagination & how to open your mind. I'd recommend this book to any person interested in sociology because of how clear & enjoyable it is to read. I've never had so much fun reading a textbook!
review image
on October 19, 2008
It is an interesting textbook; easily readable and understandable.
Instead of paying $86 for the third edition I risked getting this, 2nd edition and it turns out
they are both almost absolutely the same.
The 3rd addition comes with a CD and you get access to a supplmental website - but if you do your reading you can get by without the supplemental material just fine.
If you are a decent student, I recommend getting the 2nd edition (today available used on amazon for 78 cents).
If you go to class, read the book and fufill any writing assignments then you can do just fine with the 2nd edition.
on June 3, 2016
All I can say is that I learned a lot from this book during lecture time in class. I used almost every single day in class for all my assignments and homework for my sociology class. If you taking a sociology class, then I would recommend it to anyone that needs this specific book.
on February 2, 2015
We used this box in my high school Sociology class, and I honest-to-God loved it so much, I needed a copy of my own. The definitions and explanations for important terms are great and easy to understand. The author connects relevant examples from all over the world to different theories. Each chapter is fascinating in its own rite, and thoroughly explains the content. Couldn't recommend more (however I can see how if you have spent two or more years studying Sociology in a university, you may only want this as a handbook, reference book of sorts)
on June 23, 2015
Down to Earth is a an apt title for this introductory book. The text is approachable and complimented by photos. Wish every college text was this student-friendly. The only downside is the price for a new copy: $220. College textbook prices now rival prescription drug prices.
on August 5, 2015
Ordered this for my Fall semester at college this year. Thrilled with the packaging that fit the book perfectly and I am so glad I can easily store the box to use when I return the book at the end of my rental period!
on October 18, 2014
My college professor is supposed to be teaching us from the 12e, but she uses this edition to create her notes and tests. There are many changes from the 8th edition to the 12th, so I ordered a copy of this book so I could at least study for my profs tests. This book is not only extremely biased, but it includes only partly correct information. For example, the sad story of Mr. Terry Takewell on pg. 273 used as an example of the consequences of social class differences. Mr. Takewell's ejection from a Methodist hospital is mostly legend. The woman who made the hearing claims never personally witnessed anything with Mr. Takewell. It was all hearsay. There is more about that here: ilj.law.indiana.edu/articles/73/73_3_Hyman.pdf No wonder this vignette did not make it into later editions of the textbook. It's terrible that Mr. Takewell died, but his legend is primarily hearsay and conjecture trumped up to prove a sociological point. This is the kind of "author's purpose" you can expect from this text. Consider this a questionable content warning. If your teacher is using this edition, or you are using this textbook to study with, be aware that this textbook is chock full of author bias that does not represent all the facts, and some of the color box stories do not appear in the most recent editions. Thoroughly research the vignettes if you're asked to write reports based on the social contexts presented in this book. It seriously could save you a bum grade.
on June 24, 2012
I enjoyed taking my Sociology class while using this text book. It has a ton of real-life references and is up to date on current events. The author uses a very "down-to-earth" approach (as advertised in the title). It's true!
on June 26, 2014
Required introductory reading for Sociology course. This is one of the best text books I've been required to read. As a psych-major, I've had to read some dry text book but this is written in a style that any novice or intermediate student can easily follow and enjoy reading.
on September 2, 2005
I have to admit, I hate the soft sciences, but I had to take Sociology 101 for a requirement. Thank goodness this was the textbook assigned to the course! Everything is perfectly clear and it's actually really fun to read. Even if you're not taking a course, I'd recommend this book to anyone who would like to call themselves knowledgable. It is a fun read, and you'll come out so much more informed in the end - painlessly!