Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 22, 2009
I was required to take an ELL course a few years ago. This course focused on the SIOP method and used Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model (3rd Edition) (SIOP Series) as its textbook. I purchased the book that is being reviewed because I felt it would be a good companion to the original.

Well, I was right. This book has so many wonderful, practical ideas that I can use throughout the school year. Not only will I use these ideas for my ELL students, but for all my students as well. I particularly like the numerous ways to build background before teaching a new topic. This is an area which is so important but many teachers tend to overlook.

I recommend this book and the SIOP method for any teacher who has ELL students in the classroom and must comply with state requirements.
on June 16, 2009
I bought this book to go with a 5-day, 45-clock-hour SEI course. We've actually done some of the activities in class and the majority require planning, but not too much prep time. The book is well-written and organized in a logical fashion. A good resource for teachers who deal with a lot of ELL students (like here in central AZ.)
on May 29, 2009
This book is like the bible for teaching ESL!!! There are 99 strategies (hence the title) that each have content and language objectives (when appropriate). LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!
on February 21, 2010
This book contains some of the most useful teaching strategies that meet important criterias in teaching English to ELL students. I actually used some of the strategies from the book in my class when teaching my adult students, and I felt that the book was easy to use because the strategies were explicitly yet clearly described so that I could learn some strategies in a short amount of time. Some of other strategy based book provides lengthy explanation about how each strategy should be introduced, and teachers often end up wasting so much time just by reading and trying to understand the strategies. Considering that, I believe this book is very handy for any teachers.
Although I have found some really useful ideas in the book, I have to say that some of the ideas were somewhat redundant. A third of the strategies listed could be considered as common sense for most teachers. In addition, I have seen some teachers employing some strategies from the book and feeling satisfied just by using them in their class. The point of strategies is not what strategies teachers use but how they use to promote learning of the content and acquisition of the language. Thus adding some theory based information such as which aspect of learning each strategy promotes would be more helpful as guidance for teachers.
Overall, this book is more than worth money especially for inexperienced teachers who deal with students who is learning English.
on February 24, 2011
This is a textbook that I will be keeping after I graduate. I will use this as a classroom resource for both ESOL students and English-speaking students. The strategies in here are great for teaching all students.
on May 30, 2009
I bought this item for class and have found it a very good resource. It is an easy to read book and easy to follow. The activities would be great not only for ELLs, but for all students. I highly recommend this book.
on May 25, 2009
I haven't tried all 99 strategies, but the strategies that I have selected have helped me to implement the SIOP model. This has led to an improvement in instruction and student engagement for not only ELL students, but ALL learners.
on November 18, 2015
Good, but very repetitive. Wouldn't really go so far as to say there were 99 unique ideas and activities; more like a handful that were modified in a few different ways. Overall organization of the book can be a little hard to follow at times.
on October 18, 2011
For anyone who teaches an ESL population....this is a must have!!! Great instructional strategies and having content as well as language objectives helps stay focused on the goal.
on April 20, 2014
An easy read and outstanding teaching strategies. An invaluable resource for teachers to keep on their bookshelves. The strategies that are suggested in this book are practical and will keep the students engaged.