Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on October 28, 2002
Parrillo's text is a helpful overview of the sociology of race and ethnicity in the United States taken from a group-to-group approach. Major sociological contributions on these matters are covered through the lens of particular groups that are most affected (e.g. LA riots are covered under black Americans but not under Korean Americans). The most recent edition is especially helpful as comments are made in conjunction with post-September 11th consequences on race and ethnic issues. The role of religion in racial dynamics and the continuing changes in immigration is a helpful addition as well as it is a rising area of study with race and ethnicity.
The book if it suffers in any direction is the judgment call of organizing the text by ethnic group. As suggested earlier, some issues like the LA riots deal with multiple groups and yet this text places such a topic under only one group.
As an undergraduate text, it also has an added bonus of photographs which may make the material seem less abstract and more accessible. Additionally its use of the basic "functionalist" "conflict" and "interactionist" perspectives allows students who have taken an introductory class in sociology to have a language from which to bridge between a general study of sociology and a more specific look at one area within sociology.
Overall this is an excellent textbook and I highly recommend it for classroom use and for use in scholarly research to gain access to the complex field of race and ethnicity.
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 1999
Strangers to These Shores is a comprehensive examination of the sharpest edges and more nuanced qualities of American pluralism. In its 14 chapters, Professor Parrillo provides students/readers--and those for whom it is not assigned--with a well conceived, carefully constructed, and highly readable introduction to a very complex subject. -- Peter I. Rose, Smith College
on October 15, 2014
I can't believe my school required this crap.
It actually defines "reverse racism" as a valid thing.
No. Racism is racism, regardless of against whom.
Giving it legitimacy by giving it a special name is offering apologia for it.
Learn from my mistake. Don't attend City College!!
on September 26, 2012
actually, I ordered a newer version of this book, yet, I didn't recieve it, now I am not complaining because the book served my needs which were for classroom purposes(study, notes, etc.) therefore, I must say the book was Ideal for those reasons alone. I also want to state that the priices were exceptional and would like to commend amazon for having such reasonable prices that are afforable. I always tell my friends to shop online with amazon to purchase thier books.
on September 28, 2008
I only skimmed the book, but I am dissappointed that the 9th edition didn't have more info on immigration issues post 2001. Immigration for those that come here on H1 visas, J1 visas, etc. and then remain legally.
If it were not for the prof. requiring 9th edition an earlier edition would suffice (at a lower used price too.) Oh well. It's an OK book.
on October 16, 2014
This was the worst book purchase I have ever made. I can not believe I was shipped a book that was soiled with the pages stuck together. I wish I hadn't purchased it.
on February 22, 2015
Very happy with everything! The quality of the book was very good. The book came so fast. I will recommend this to anyone especially to college students.
on December 6, 2012
I had to get this for my daughter's college class and she said the class was interesting and that the book was okay.
on December 12, 2013
Was rather dry and boring cosidering it could have so much diversity in it. I was really disapointed in this.
on February 18, 2014
It's good for my class and it's easy to read so it's perfect for me I will be ordering again from amazon