Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 25, 2000
This is an excellent textbook. The language is clear, the ideas well exposed, and the subject covered in a most satisfactory manner. The sixth edition I have read contains an extensive and very useful bibliography. I'd recommend it whoheartedly for undergraduate courses on the topic. Some minor criticisms: first, I would have liked the section on theoretical perspectives to be more extensive, while the chapter on methods seems to me to be superflous, at least for undergraduates. Second, at the bottom of page 232, the information give is confusing. It talks about tons, without specifying whether metric or not. Further, it uses ounces, pounds and kilos, all very unclear. Thirdly, the sections on the socialist system are obsolete, insofar as those systems have practically disappeared. And, yes, although the author claims, at the bottom of p.1 that he has followed an eclectic apporach, "without embracing or advocating a particular position, ideology, or theoretical stance", the truth is that I feel I detect a very subtle but, nonetheless recognizable, "leftish" leaning. But those are minor shortcomings, whcih shrink to nothing in comparison with the very positive achievements of the textbook. Kudos!
Law and Society (8th Edition) was a book that was required reading for a master's level course I was taking. Amazon allowed me to buy this book for much less than I would have paid if I went through the college book store. I would definitely recommend going through Amazon for your college book.
on January 31, 2010
When I read chapter one, I thought I was reading a foreign language. I decided to read the summaries first at the end of each chapter. This made reading much much easier and the topic friendlier.
on January 11, 2010
The book is well written and researched but is very preliminary and recommended for beginers. Its a great starter book to those who are not familiar but are interested in the law from a sociological perspective. The author writes well and has thorough research and provides references for further information but can be somewhat repetitive.
on January 24, 2013
I am unsure as to why this book has so many 5 star ratings. By far, this has been the worst textbook I have had to use in my 4 years of college. It reads like a high school research paper. I would not purchase this book if I had a choice.
on July 24, 2013
Law and Society by Vago is a sufficiently detailed textbook to learn terms, definitions, concepts, ideas, and many other Law and Society-related information for Introductory Law and Society Courses.
on September 13, 2012
I received this book in really good condition. It is really interesting, and the writer explains the topics thoroughly and effectively.
on May 26, 2014
It was purchased as a textbook for a Master's level class. Good book full of detail and information not found easily somewhere else. Easy to read and follow. Definitely a "keeper"
on December 23, 2015
I know it's a rental but give me a break with the penned underline and highlighter. Distracting to read through parts of chapter and is that cool - aid stained pages?
on April 26, 2016
Steven Vago proposes many many thought provoking ideas and concepts, while using those intellects who have lead the movement of all perspectives in the Law arena