on August 22, 2002
I've not read this year's edition, but I'm familiar with the editions of previous years. Without a doubt, this is the best test preparation book I have ever read, and I have read no small number of them. As others have pointed out, some of the strategies the authors describe border on the obvious, but these are sufficiently important, few, and entertainingly presented that this small lapse is quite acceptable. The book's practice tests are refreshingly indistinguishable from real SATs; they are certainly the best available, though those in Kaplan's SAT book are quite good as well.
Many reviewers have declared this book to be insufficient for those who seek high scores. I disagree strongly. Good advice is good advice, even if presented in a manner less than ceremonial. Pedantic word lists assembled without attention given to what words will likely appear on the SAT, though impressive and temptingly concrete, are not the best use of any preparer's time. Of greater importance than a presentation of all the math and English needed for the SAT is a thorough, insightful walking through of SAT questions, and that's where this book shines.
This book, the College Board's book of ten real SATs, and a functioning noggin are all anyone needs to succeed on the SAT. But if you've got money to spare, you might try the Kaplan book, too -- another look at strategy and a few more realistic practice tests can only help.
I have not yet taken the SAT. On practice tests, my scores started as low as 1440 but have since climbed well into the 1500's -- even to the point of a 1590 most recently. More than to any strategy, I attribute the improvement to increased familiarity with the test, and I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the contribution this book has made.
on August 31, 2012
This book is absolutely horrible. There are typos throughout the reading and writing section. The answers to math drills/test sections are confusing to say the least. Even more so, the math drills' answer keys frequently mix up the answers with the wrong number. The "online content" available DOES NOT EXIST. The "money back guarantee" ONLY APPLIES TO SAT, ACT, and a variety of other tests that are not the PSAT. P.S If you do take a SAT course and you are dissatisfied, please note that the fine print calls for a 200 dollar administrative fee and a 50 dollar replacement materials fee. THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER. The 2013, 2012, 2011 editions ARE ALL THE SAME. There is absolutely no variety except for price. A waste of money. I wish I could rate this -1209318021 stars.
on January 4, 2011
All in all, this PSAT prep book has good content... you'll learn something. However, it contains many typos/errors-so many that I don't think anyone proof-read the book before it was published. For instance, the book includes practice tests; the answer sheet for one of the practice tests skips over a number (e.g. 31, 32, 33, 35, 36), so that you end up with every question being incorect past that point. There are also numerous typographical errors, which, while not essential, do make it a pain to read.

All in all, I'd say find another book. Barron's perhaps. I'm not very impressed with Princeton Review.
on December 7, 2010
Before I say anything, I would recommend getting this book early, with more time than you think you need. I found myself rushing to look over everything, even though I had bought it a few weeks in advance. Plus, if you're a junior, school is probably busy for you. If you're looking towards getting a merit scholarship, this book does have many helpful tips.

Pros
-It goes into varying levels of detail for each section of the test, saying general things about each part and then going into specific problem types that are likely to show up on the test.

-The organization is fantastic; it's easy to read, and if you don't think you need to look at a certain part, it's easy to find where to skip.

-Though this may sound obvious and stupid, it focuses on PSAT in particular. What I mean by this is that a lot of the strategies mentioned are great for the PSAT, but not necessarily for other tests (and it tells you that).

-It has practice tests and many practice problems that span a great deal of information.

Cons
-Though it does have many suggestions for time management, I still found that I ran out of time on many of the sections. If you're like me, you might need some really straightforward time management tips. Then again, this is also like catering to a specific group of people, and the book is pretty thick enough anyway. But if you want, here are some quick time management tips from me.
1. For reading sections, read quickly, making mental (or quick small notes on the paper) notes on purpose, tone, and some devices the author used. If there are some words that kind of catch in your brain that are unusual, underline them. You can also skim-read the questions ahead of time to see what they are looking for.
2. Skip questions that you get stumped on
3. KEEP TRACK OF TIME! Sometimes you get so involved in tests that you don't realize you only have 3 minutes left.
4. Be decisive. Don't debate about your answer, it's a waste of time. Even if you're not sure, go with it and if you have time, you can check back later. But a lot of the time, your first answer tends to be right.

-It is a bit much to read if you don't have time, like I mentioned at the top. Especially if you have trouble getting through many pages of stuff, it could get hard.

Overall, this was a pretty good book to have. I was able to look back at some basic things I had forgotten, and realize new things about grammar (that we most often don't even see for years!) I have yet to get my score, but if it was good, then this book definitely helped me get it there.
on June 25, 2012
This book has got review of all the math, critical reading, and writing skills you need to score higher in the PSAT/NMSQT.Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT, 2013 Edition (College Test Preparation) It covers detailed math drills for geometry, quadratic equations, and functions. This book includes specific strategies for cracking every question type, practice drills and explanations for every topic that appears on the PSAT. It includes information about National Merit Scholarships. It also contains a list of key PSAT vocabulary words. Finally, there are 2 practise tests with answers. This will give you a basic idea about what type of question you get in your exams.
I am PhD qualified, highly experienced PSAT/NMSQT tutor and most of my students find this book very handy. If you struggle to understand any answer in the book, feel free to email me at info@aonetuition.co.uk. I am happy to provide FREE explaination. I wish you good luck!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2013
This is actually my first review to write for a product cuz I'm usually to lazy to do so but I think people deserve to read this before buying.
I absolutely love Princeton review and bought some products from them in the past but when I was going to take the practice test it was already filled out!! Makes me so mad. I'm not giving it one star because of bad content or anything but just that. I hate to do this but you guys should know.
on September 5, 2013
Another book, fairly well presented to help high school students prepare for the coveted national merit awards if they do well.
If students faithfully work out of this book and be attentive and diligent then good things should result. Students should consider
how questions are structured, worded to be successful as they prepare. Just taking the practice exams is fine but students need
to understand how the questions are put together and need to be approached. A great first step, but families need to recognize a second step would be more helpful.
on December 8, 2012
The book is easy to follow, thus making it easy to read and take the sample test. This preparation will make it comfortable for the student when they take it at their schools. It won't be the first time they have seen the test so taking the test should be easy for the stduent.

Thank you for having a book available like this for students. A resource like this helps students succeed but helping them prepare in advance by seeing what a test may look like (sample questions, format of test) by lessening test anxieties.
THANK YOU!!!
on July 2, 2013
My daughter used the Princeton Review PSAT and SAT prep books. She earned a very high score and got into her dream university. Now it is my son's turn. He studies an hour a day and we will hope for another high score! Even bright kids need this type of prep to learn "how" to take these tests.
on November 18, 2012
I bought the book for my son. He is in the French school and has no training for PSAT. He needed explainations and English vocabulary in maths. He found everything he needed in this book and said it is very clear!