Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 7, 2010
My husband and I did the Saving Your Marriage Before it Starts course with our pastor for pre-marital counciling, and I would recommend it to any couple preparing for marriage. It was easy and fun, and it taught us SO much. It was a real bonding experience, and it truly helped us be a much better husband and wife.
on July 19, 2010
This book is a wonderful starting point for marriage, or even just relationships. It brings to light a lot of issues/viewpoints that one would not normally consider. I have enjoyed reading this book and doing the workbook that goes along with it. My fiance' and I have really gotten to know one another in a deeper, more intimate, more real way through reading this. Knowing that God has us in His hands, that there are people out there who have been through the things we will undoubtedly face, and seeing the success that each has had in their dependency on Christ gives me huge hope for the future. Thanks for helping us have a wonderful beginning!
on December 16, 2009
I just began using the Parrott's materials, Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts, for engaged couples in our premarital education program and, so far, the response has been positive. Couples affirm that it is helpful. One young man said he has begun to think more about what marriage means and what it will entail. He also has been more attentive to other couples and how they relate to each other. I am pleased with the response.
on April 5, 2011
My wife and I read through the books and the study guide while we were engaged. SOOOOOO good!! Even if you aren't a Christian, the principles in communication are amazingly helpful. For us, as believers, perhaps even more so.

I highly recommend it with the study guide. The exercises are really good to help you understand how the other person thinks, what's important to them, and to get a head start - from a married perspective anyway - on who the other person is.

I haven't been married that long, but ask your other married friends - you may think you know all about the other person before you get married, but you learn a ton more once you're married. You also learn a lot about yourself.

The reason this book and study guide are so good is they help you think through things & issues that are common in marriage, common differences between men and women, etc.

And there are some great tools, like "Temperature Check". The book/guide go into more detail, but it provides a really beneficial communication tool to share things you like, don't like, don't understand, or would like to see changed.

I'm making all of my future kids go through when they get engaged.

I can't recommend it highly enough! If you're getting married, get it. If you are married and know you could use some communication help, get it.

Cheers! :)
on March 2, 2015
Very practical advice and information. My fiance each have our own book and workbook. Get the workbook. That's where the real growth takes place, whereas this gives information. I've done the first 20 or so activities in the workbook so far and only 1 of them was a waste of time.

The information is not watered down at all. The chapters are all concise and worth the read. It includes chapters on listening, gender roles (and misconceptions), how to stay in love, etc. I would recommend this book because it is extremely practical, unlike other premarital books that are more vague.

I am a Christian, and this book does not mention the bible very often. The writers are definitely believers, but they did not include a lot of biblical information in the book. I, for one, welcome that because I have already heard plenty of sermons on marriage. This was exactly what I wanted. Anyone can use this book, regardless of religion.

The book is also meant for engaged and married alike. The information is useful regardless of relationship status
on January 11, 2013
We used it as part of our premarital counseling with our pastor and most of it was great. Recommend it.
on September 22, 2015
Good, practical advice here. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering, but this book is filled with some very good reminders that will help you and your partner to build a solid foundation and learn more about each other's wants and needs. This book teaches from a biblical perspective, but the content is a blend of Christian teachings and lessons that would be relatable for non-religious couples, as well. We used these books in conjunction with pre-marital counseling we completed at an area church, and the books had accompanying videos that were awesomely 90's-tastic; though the content was still good.
on October 9, 2015
I bought this book along with the workbook. My fiancé and I were looking for something to supplement our Christian premarital counseling and were recommended this book. It's easy to read, and fun to work through. I would recommend this book with the workbook for any young Christian couple looking to get to know each other better in preparation of their upcoming nuptials. It asks poignant questions that you may not have thought to ask before you get married.
on November 13, 2010
I love this book, and it was great for our long distance relationship. It addresses not only the big issues, but the little ones that could be doomed to pick anyone apart. It gets everything out on the table in a way that makes it easy for both people to share. It was easy to each do an activity and then discuss over the phone, and it covered things I never would have thought to cover. It arrived on time, so props to the seller.
on December 10, 2013
This book brings up a lot of subjects and encourages conversations for couples that are living together, newly engaged, or are married should discuss and share. My fiance' and I have been together for a while, and live together but these books/workbooks have brought a new understanding between us. We actually look forward to doing our weekly "homework" beacuse with each chapter and exercise ... we learn.