Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on August 9, 2012
I've really enjoyed teaching this text, and my undergraduate students have consistently praised its readability and its utility. I like both volumes, but the premodern text especially gives a helpful basic narrative of global history, and it's been fun to work in secondary sources to complement the textbook and included documents. As an East Asian historian, I find other reviewers' claims of Eurocentrism a bit tough to understand here. Perhaps some citations would help? For my part, I found it really balanced and well-written. And, let's be honest - a less expensive text is in everyone's interest, and the brevity of this work helps it fit into a standard semester.
on September 30, 2012
Strayer does an amazing job in this text book to show how Civilization began from Hunting and Gathering peoples to the modern age where farming and the establishment of Cities had to be adopted to maintain order in these large complex societies. He also does a good job in clarifying some of the negative connotations that are implied when the term "Civilization" is used...
I'm fortunate to have been able to purchase and use this text for a class :D !
on July 24, 2015
It's hard to make a history textbook interesting. While non-textbook, non-fiction history books tend to be liked by history lovers, even such people tend to dislike the textbooks of history. The same can not be said of the majority of, say, mathematics textbooks. Still, this textbook covers plenty of material in a pretty easy to read way. The material is also nicer to read than volume 2. The content could be slightly more to the point, but doing so would likely make it too terse to retain for most. All in all, it has a fairly unbiased coverage, is well written, and is edited quite thoroughly to reflect new evidence and to minimize errors. The emphasis on source analysis and the development rather than outcome of history is great.

I would prefer to see more information on the writing of history, good research skills, and connections to other fields. This is really the only obvious con aside from the issue of, despite beating most, being a bit on the dull side. If you can get into it though, say 10 pages of reading, the rest becomes quite enjoyable.

Aesthetically, the paper is great. The only downfall is that it will, as usual, bend a bit.

Overall: 8.5/10, with points being docked for the lack of features only.
on September 22, 2014
book arrived quickly and in better condition than expected. My son has it as text book for AP high school SS class and we needed an extra one for home. Will certainly recommend.
on February 3, 2013
This book helped me survive one of the hardest classes I have ever had to take. I also received it in an ample amount of time
on June 21, 2013
Thank you for speedy response. Thanks for your help in my class. It was very helpful in my school and made things easier.
on August 3, 2014
I am not a lover of history, but this book kept me reading, so it must be pretty good! I felt like I learned a lot.
on December 23, 2012
This book covers all the basics from the beginning of man until around 1500. It touches on many different topics and gives a good overview. Unfortunately, this book is very boring to read. I fell asleep every time I cracked it open. Also, the author likes to jump from time period to time period and from geographical location to geographical location. This makes it quite difficult to understand just which time or region is being discussed. The information necessary is in this book, it's just not always easy to extract it.
on January 2, 2013
I bought 4 books online and this one is the first one that came in. It was in good condition.
on August 21, 2014
A lot of interesting articles. Some dry ones inbetween