Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Law of Torts (American Casebooks)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 14, 2001
This excellent volume was one of my own study aids during my first year of law school and it's now a valued part of my burgeoning law library.

If you're a One-L looking for study aids, this is a handy hornbook to have. Dobbs breaks the topic up into lots of subtopics and provides easily-digested discussions under each heading. The result is a longer book than Prosser and Keeton, but it's easier to read in many ways.

It's also more up-to-date; Prosser's classic work was most recenty updated in 1984, which means that much of the field (especially products liability) has left it in the dust. However, if you can possibly do so, try to get both: Prosser's more extended discussions are classics in the field, and deservedly so.

And if you want just _one_ text to supplement your casebook, I'd recommend _A Concise Restatement of Torts_, published by the American Law Institute. That's the text to use for "black-letter law."

Ideally, you can do what I did: get all three.
on April 13, 2001
An excellent book about tort law. The author revises every issues and explains clearly the subject. Dobbs quotes abundant cases and bibliography too. The content is : Part I. Introducing Tort Law; Part II: Physical interference with person or property; Part III, Operating and altering the tort system in personal injury cases. Finally, I must point out that this book (with 1600 pages) have an accurate updating.
on May 17, 2014
Hornbooks are valuable assets to law students. The usual practice at Law School is to use a Casebook, which contains summations of major cases. The student then "briefs" that case by summing up the major points of law used to determine the ruling in that particular case. Of course, that presupposes that the student knows what the principle points of law are in that case. And Law Schools DO NOT teach that: it is up to the student to acquire the neccessary understanding.

That is where the Hornbook comes in. Unlike the Case Books, the Hornbooks EXPLAIN the law. By studying the Hornbook first, one has a better chance of understanding the law as it is applied in real life.
on July 16, 2014
Torts can be extremely confusing when first studying the topic. This is a great hornbook. Not as famous as another classic torts hornbook, but this text is more modern. Helpful for dissecting and understanding the details of Torts. There was not a topic that I was unable to find coverage of in this book. Highly recommended as an aid and a reference.
on January 16, 2014
To be clear, I primed the casebook reading with Understanding Tort's which I also highly recommend. However, that book which was specifically recommended by my professor will only keep you level with your classmates. I looked further in preparation for my final. Torts was my third final and I had only 3 days in between it and my last one when I picked this book up from the library. No, I did not read it cover to cover, that would be impossible, but knowing what my professor focus was guided me in reading the relevant chapters in Dobbs. This book was IMMENSELY helpful in my preparation and netted me an A in the course. It is no substitute for doing the class reading and admittedly would have been difficult to keep up with during the entire course of a semester given its length. But when it comes to reviewing difficult concepts or studying for finals, I highly recommend. His treatment on Palsgraf and foreseeability and proximate cause is masterful and gave me understanding of that topic that was a game changer on the final.

This is not to say I would not keep up with this book throughout the semester, if I could do it again I probably would have done so, but it is very difficult. But if you do, you will master the concept of Torts. Use it as a primer and the cases and class discussion will only enhance your understanding in a way that will elevate you above the rest of the class.
on January 3, 2012
Dear Torts I student,

At all costs, READ THIS BOOK before going to class (and raising your hand). It explains everything that your casebook and professor are sure to leave up in the air.
on February 25, 2015
Recommended by me Torts professor, this is an excellent supplement that goes into a greater depth than the case book we used. Definitely "old school" but still a great supplement that will stay in my library well after law school.
on October 12, 2011
After having this book for only a few weeks, it has proven invaluable in helping me understand complex issues of Tort law, such as proximate cause. If used along with the Dobbs casebook, this hornbook can be very beneficial. Dobbs also presents each topic in a reader friendly format.
on March 26, 2014
These not only look nice on a bookshelf, they are useful. According to my Torts professor, this is one of the best hornbooks. Unlike many of my E &E or casebooks, I will retain this for my practice.
on April 10, 2016
I waited way too long in my first term to use this, but when I did, I loved it and have used it often for Torts II as well. The book really helped give me with the details.