Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Elementary Statistics (10th Edition) (MyStatLab Series)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 15, 2007
I am saddened to see the textbook community to mistake color, flash, graphics, and artifical examples as quality textbook. Although I understand they need to market, this book demonstrates the effect of marketing upon education.

My students complain that the text is difficult to read. Although I know they are new, I have to agree with their opinion. I sat and read the text -- and found it lacking respectable composition and clarity. I feel for my students and will not use the text again.

In addition, the examples are useless. They match the homework at the end of the chapter, but only "teach to the test". What's the point if the student don't learn methods on how to critically think and approach problems? Oh wow, they know what P(Z>1) is, but what do they know to do with it? Nothing!

Perhaps it is time for the educational community to produce their own compact books, customized to what students (and not publishers) need. I cannot recommend this book for anyone and would beg you to reconsider.
88 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2005
At first glance the book appears wordy and heavy on the technical stuff. However, if you take the time to read it you'll figure out that everything is explained in great detail, making stats a breeze.

There's plenty of exercises to bulk up the stats skills, and TI calculator owners will rejoice at the integration. There's also a CD for your computer (Mac or Windows) that contains some additional TI-83 programs and a few for the computer.

From what I understand Mario Triola has been writing stats books forever and is the authority in that business. Being someone who will be new to the field of math education very soon I support this book 100%.
on February 21, 2006
I had to teach myself statistics the first time around and this book deserves sole credit for my passing grade. Furthermore, I was able to use this book to teach my classmates and everyone passed the course, a first with that professor. I used the book as tutor at more than one school, as well. Highly recommended!
on August 27, 2005
Elementary Statistics with StatDisk is a very well laid out text making the introduction to new concepts easy. The text assists with Excel, TI-83 family of caluculators and gives comprehensive tips for using StatDisk. Z tables are included with the text on heavy paper stock.
on December 25, 2005
This text is very well written with detailed information broken down enough for anyone to understand, begining with explaining basic concepts, discussing how statistics can be used in specific simple scenarios. As you progress in the text, Triola utilizes the same scenarios by adding on to the complexity that is involved as you learn more. The sections within each chapter is broken down to explain major concepts without confusing the reader as you progress from chapter to chapter. As expected, definitions, theories, and helpful hints and good examples throughout the text enhance and reinforce the learning experience. Triola also incorporates a technology section at the end of the chaters, enabling you to use Excel or the TI-83 Plus to calculate a formula that would otherwise take you 20-30 minutes to do by hand.

I used this book for an online course, and with that online course, the publishers had developed the quizes, calculator exercises, and tests that go along with this curriculum. The reason why I hadn't given this text 5 stars is because of the errors that I have found throughout the text....I guess the good part is, the text taught me enough to correct their own mistakes.
on July 7, 2009
As an instructor who has taught college level Elementary Statistics from this text book 5 times, I would strongly recommend against this book. I spent most of my time working around this textbook, not with it. The students find the phrasing of the homework problems confusing. The objective of many of the homework problems is unclear. The interpretations of the statistical results that the author calls for require conjecture, not true reasoning skills. Additionally, the material is presented in a counterproductive order, the same one which most other elementary statistics texts follow. It isn't a smart way to present the material.

Two of the major problems with the content of this text: First, this text poorly explains the Central Limit Theorem, which is only the most important theorem in statistics. Second, the problems for small sample hypothesis tests of means with sigma unknown are contrived such that students would never learn that a p-value is measured from the 'tail' of the test (and therefore, can be greater than 0.5).

In short, this text is unclear and often unhelpful. Students who finish this class often only understand how to "take the exam" and never learn the concepts. I have had to supplement my class with my own sets of notes to accommodate the problems in this textbook. The text lacks global perspective on the material.
on December 17, 2013
Worst written textbook I've ever used. If you hold out any hope of learning Statistics, you will not learn it from this disaster. If all you need is something to slide under the wobbly leg of a table to stabilize it, or a book to stick on your shelf to make people assume you're smarter than you actually are, then this book might have found it purpose. If you're having a book burning party and want to burn something you won't regret later, this is just the ticket. Kill it with fire!
on July 30, 2012
This book was a great deal. I got the same textbook I would have paid way more for at my school's textbook store. It's great to be about to purchase textbook on here that are in excellent condition without having to pay the retail price.
on August 26, 2005
I used the 8th edition in my intro STATS class a year ago and I loved the book. I found that he talks about the meaning of stuff and not just gives quick excel fixes like a lot of intro STAT books. He does go over how to do the problem on the TI-83 but he still goes over the formulas and how you can do with out. In my last intro stats book my department had it talked too much about excel and the calculator making students forget that this is math and not just plug in the number
on July 22, 2014
The site said that the book would arrive to me in "Good quality" but honestly it came to me in gently used quality. The textbook is what is, very easy to read and pretty standard for all stats classes. This book is more helpful than my instructor sometimes haha... I recommend buying it used if you have the time to spend on shipping.