Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on December 16, 2010
can't work math. It scares me to death. I was one of the unfortunate people who, as a child, was taught math using the "New Moden Math Concept". Subsequently, like most who had the misfortune of suffering the course of instruction, the basics were sort of skipped over while we all learned "Base 108", "Base Pi" Base Chevrolet", and all the other crud we'd never use in the real world. As a result I am, therefore, mathematically illiterate.

I have needed one (1) course to complete my degree. I have been avoiding this course for years. Yep, it's basic college mathematics. The thought of math makes me sweat, nauseous, and causes massive amounts of burning stomach acid. I decided to take the plunge and signed up for a distant learning math class. The course required Dr. Robert Blitzers book, "Thinking Mathematically - 5th Edition".

I am now on chapter 4 and am learning math! I have put away the bottles of Malox and the sweat bands. I actually understand what I am reading. This book is great! My first homework assignments have been graded far better than I had ever hoped for. It is working for me. (At least the first 4 chapters anyway)

Dr. Blitzers' book utilizes every day situations as related to math. This makes it easier to understand for the non-math major. The book is loaded with examples and work problems the answers to which, are in the back of the book. You cannot just use the answers, you will have to work for them in order to learn. However, having the answers accessible makes it easy to review and find where you have errored (if at all).

Although the book is pricey, it is well worth the money. The book is absolutley loaded with information, is large, and is over 1,000 pages in length. It is well written and if I can understand it, anyone can. (Sometimes I have to reread the info before it sinks in...but it does!) I would suggest this book for anyone who wants to refresh their math skills not just students taking a college level math course.

Don't get me wrong, I am still having to work twice as hard as the person who has a working grasp of math, but I am finally learning the math concepts I should have 40 years ago. I thank Dr. Robert Blitzer and his book "Thinking Mathematically" for putting me at ease while I am doing so.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2005
As an upper level high school mathematics teacher, I have to say that Blitzer's text "Thinking Mathematically" is truly an outstanding book! - for both the student and the teacher. He explains concepts in an extraordinarly thorough and direct way, with a lot of great worked out examples and terrific exercise sets that increase student knowledge and insight regarding the concepts and computations. Having used both this book and Blitzer's other PreCalculus text, I can honestly say that his books for the secondary market put most of the other books out there to shame - there's really just no comparison. If you're a student who really wants to learn math, or a teacher who appreciates great support materials, then you really do have to get this text, as well as Blitzer's other texts, such as "PreCalculus". You won't find a better book out there regarding secondary/college prep math and it's teaching/ applications.
on November 17, 2010
This is truly the best math textbook I can ever remember using. I just finished taking a college math course while working to obtain additional teaching certificates (job security!). I took the course online and taught myself EVERYTHING I needed to know just from using this text. Concepts that I learned before were easy to recall. New information was clearly presented with important points and objectives located in the margins of the text. Plenty of examples were provided, along with TONS of practice problems. I cannot say enough about how enjoyable it was to use this textbook!! If only I had this in high school, I would have gotten better grades in math class!
on October 4, 2005
I just purchased this book brand new a few months ago. The only problem is very heavy and bulky to carry around. I appreciate Blitzer's no nonsense writing and by the way no highlighting necessary. All the key points are highlighted and pointed out. He also includes in-text exercises as well. I figure the book was worth my money but at least I understand what is printed. I also appreciate the mention of real-life applications indicated in the exercises and the sectional readings. I am not only reading the sections but appreciating all the bonus essays and definition boxes.
on July 1, 2006
I enjoyed this book, especially since I had a non-fluent English speaking professor we all looked into our books and read the complete, easy, and understanding chapters. this is one of the best math books I have ever had in my education experience.
on February 4, 2011
I purchased this book to go along with an online math class. The course had this listed as the required book, but after paying what felt like too much for just a book and online access, I realized that the online section also includes the full book in online form. So really you are paying for the book, then paying for the book again. I suggest just getting the online access card (its only about $55) and not getting the printed book. Also, the online pass is active for upwards of a year, so you can "lend" or "sell" your access to the online book to someone who has the class after you.

Luckily I was able to sell off the printed book to someone not in an online section of the course to get some of my money back, but be careful you don't get more then what you need.
77 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2011
This book is easy to follow and understand. It is well put together. The only draw back is that the answers that are available is only for the odd numbered problems. This is the same with the student solution copy.
on December 10, 2009
I am very happy with this book, it just breaks down the material where it can be understand and actually fun to learn. I am not a big math person, or majoring in a math major, but I could get use to learning from books like this. The author did a great job creating this book.
on March 8, 2014
This book has most of the basic math that a brand new college student should know or will be reviewing throughout college. It is a good reference book to fill gaps in math or to review topics at testing time. It has extra practice problems for nearly everything from Set Theory to Statistics plus technology to learn how to use the calculator.
on May 13, 2014
As a book it's great. It had what I needed for my class.
BUT... inside the cover someone drew a giant penis on the cow.
This is a college textbook and you still think drawing "weenies" is funny? Grow up.