Redemption (Hqn)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$7.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon January 29, 2013
Format: Mass Market PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
2.5 stars

Jack French is back in his home town after a two year prison sentence for a crime he didn't commit. He's attracted to the new cafe owner, Kate LaFond, though he knows from the start she is probably trouble. But the two of them soon form an alliance of sorts and start digging around in the past.

I really had high hopes for this series as the premise promised great things. Ultimately I feel let down. There is just so much negativity and deceit surrounding the characters of these books, that it's a wonder that the whole town doesn't just drink the kool-aid and end it already. Romance plays a very little role in these books and that's a shame to me when the characters could have been so much more. Instead we are treated to layers and layers of mystery heaped onto multiple characters. The mystery/suspense portions of the story are good, but too plentiful. If the author would have focused just on Kate's it would have been perfect, but to add in the sherriff's and Jacks...It just was too much for me.

Again, as in the book Unforgiven, we are left with questions unanswered and I am wondering why certain plot points were even brought up? What purpose did they serve?

I was really interested to know what would happen with Carson, but I don't think I can handle reading another story where everyone has a grey cloud of gloom hanging over their heads.

Cherise Everhard, January 2013
on March 2, 2013
I am a huge reader and I, unfortunately, have to say this is the worst book I have ever read. There didn't seem to be any explanation for reactions or resolution in the situations between the characters. For instance, why does the sheriff's daughter harbor such irrational hatred towards him - such that she'd track him down, pretend to want to get to know him and then pull a gun on him. Can't believe it was only her Mother put her up to it since the sheriff and his wife split! Seemed like almost every page or so, another character was being mentioned, with minimal effect on the storyline which seemed dis-jointed. It took well into the last third of the book for the main characters to get past him not knowing why he wants to help her and her saying she doesn't need his help. I can usually finish a book in day or so but this one took me 2 weeks - just could not keep interested in it. Threw the book out after I finished since I will NOT be re-reading it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2013
The distinctive romantic-suspense storytelling style of author B.J. Daniels serves the reader well in "Redemption", the second book in her exciting "Beartooth, Montana" series. Jack French didn't have to look for trouble--it always knew exactly where to find him. The wild ways of his youth had made him an easy mark to be framed for rustling a bull, and the judge on the case had been the father of Jack's girlfriend. Since the judge never cared much for Jack, he sentenced him to two years labor on a working-ranch prison--a harsh sentence for the crime of which Jack was accused. Serving out his time at Deer Lodge, Montana State Prison had given Jack much opportunity to think about how and why he was framed, and who hated him enough to set him up. Back in his little gold-rush hometown of Beartooth after completing his jail term, Jack decides to play his cards close to his vest and not reveal his hand too soon. This time, he'll stay far away from trouble, and take careful steps. His plans go awry on his first night back in town when he "rescues" a woman being roughed up by a man in an alley. After a scuffle, the man takes off, but the lady is not so grateful for Jack's help. Kate LaFond, the new owner of the Branding Iron Cafe, is used to fending for herself. She doesn't need a tall, good-looking cowboy to complicate her life. Fate, however, has other plans for Jack and Kate, and the time they end up spending together has Jack involved in Kate's search for a lost treasure in gold. Matters take a serious turn when the man who accosted Kate turns up murdered, and she is later accused of the crime. The attraction between Kate and Jack becomes more personal, and once again, he comes to her defense. The local sheriff, Frank Curry, is working on solving the case and finding resolution to his own personal issues, including a second-chance romance with Nettie Benton. Known as "Nosy Nettie", she owns and operates the local general store, and not much escapes her persistent attention. Gold fever can never really be cured--its lure is often lethal, and it seldom leads to happiness. For Jack and Kate, will the real treasure be a once-in-a lifetime love? Beartooth, Montana has its share of legends, lives lost, and love found. I greatly enjoyed the first book in the series, "Unforgiven", and "Redemption" is equally enjoyable. If you love romantic suspense, you will be captivated by the complexities of the intertwined lives of the characters and the intrigue and danger of the promise of a fortune in gold.
#1 HALL OF FAMEon January 29, 2013
Jack French spent the last two years in prison doing forced ranch labor after being convicted for cattle rustling, a crime he did not do. After his release, he returns home to Beartooth, Montana with one mission in mind: enact vengeance on the unknown(s) who framed him.

While he did hard time, Kate LaFord relocated to Beartooth where she owns the Branding Iron Café. Beartooth General Store owner Lynette "Nettie" Benton persuades Sheriff Frank Curry to uncover the secrets of the enigmatic Kate and also wants to know more about her mysterious new tenant Tiffany Hayes. Lynette and Frank are attracted to each other though her remaining married but separated from her husband Bob (who resides in Arizona) leaves both hesitating to do more than harmlessly flirt. Having found a murdered corpse, Frank asks Lynette to look at a photo he found on the unidentified body; she confirms it is the dead for three decades Ackermann family. As Kate serendipitously searches for rumored gold that her mom swears exists, she and Jack meet and fall in love.

The latest Beartooth Big Sky romantic suspense (see Unforgiven) is an entertaining thriller as once again deaths from decades ago (and rumored lost gold) keep a firm grip on the townsfolk. Fast-paced from the moment Jack returns home as an unappreciated Good Samaritan and never decelerating, readers will enjoy this taut Montana tale with multiple (perhaps too many) mysteries and one and a half romances.

Harriet Klausner
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
One thing you can be assured of when you pick up a B.J. Daniels book, is you are in for one wild ride. Action-packed and chock full of suspense, B.J.'s books always have the reader sitting on the edge of their seats gnawing on fingernails. as is the absolute case here with Redemption, the second book in the Beartooth Montana Series.

Once again we are in Beartooth, Montana. Jack French has just gotten out of jail after spending two years in Ranch labor for bull rustling, although Jack insists he did not commit the crime, that in fact he was set up. Jack returns to his old town of Beartooth to mostly familiar faces, but one new one, the new owner of the Branding Iron Cafe, the mysterious Kate LaFond. He hasn't decided yet whether he plans on staying in the town teaming with memories. The solitary and attractive Kate LaFond is a font of secrets just waiting to be discovered by the conflicted Jack, who is torn between staying on the straight and narrow or seeking revenge for whoever had him set up to go to prison.

When Jack comes across Kate for the first time, she is being accosted by a man in back of her cafe, and Jack reluctantly steps in to protect Kate, who insists she needs no one to protect her. Trouble seems to come to Kate's doorstep which has Jack stepping in as her savior again. As much as Kate tries to deny, she begins to have feelings for Jack, but her inability to be honest with him puts a roadblock that prevents a relationship from happening.

Beartooth's trustworthy Sheriff, Frank Curry has his own set of problems in the form of a dead body found by the river. This body does not bode well for any in Beartooth. While investigating the crime, Frank stumbles upon a photograph that will have key information. With the help from his former love and town gossip, Nettie Benton, he finds that writing on the back of the photo may be a map. Can this be a map for the treasure Kate is set on finding? While trying to make heads or tails of what's going on in Beartooth, Frank's past begins to catch up with him in the form of a seventeen year old girl named Tiffany Chandler, who rents a room above Nettie's general store. Tiffany comes with a whole set of issues that will shock the normally unshakable Sheriff Curry.

I did not put REDEMPTION down until I read the entire book. I loved it as I do all that author B.J. Daniels writes. She has this unique ability to astound the reader continually with her mystery and suspense.This book was mainly Jack and Kate's book, but I loved B.J.'s secondary story line with Frank Curry and Lynette(Nettie) Benton. They are hands down my favorite characters in Beartooth and I want them to have their day in the sun. The Beartooth Montana Series has become one of my favorites. One thing about this town called Beartooth, at the foot of the Crazy Mountains, is there's always something going on, but the inhabitants always end up taking care of their own.

I highly recommend taking this roller-coaster ride of REDEMPTION which is suspense at its best by the Queen of Western Romantic Suspense, in my eyes at least, B.J. Daniels.....

~KIMBERLY~

5 Stars (Hook Line and Sinker)
on February 4, 2013
I just finished reading Redemption, the latest Beartooth, Montana book from B.J. Daniels. I like the way she spins a yarn that creates not only a mystery (or two or three) but also pulls you into the town of Beartooth, Montana in the shadow of the Crazy Mountains. I feel like she must have a little diorama of the area in her basement and sneaks down there to study it so that when she creates a town, you feel like you belong there with the characters of her books. She creates a small town atmosphere that sucks you in and keeps you there. When she finishes her stories of Beartooth, I will always want more about the people she didn't write about!

Jack French and Kate LaFond are fated to be together from the onset. Daniels doesn't disappoint us, either. They fight their attraction - each haunted by their own pasts. There is more of a mystery about Kate's past than Jack's. The real meaty mystery is the one about the Ackerman Family, though. I read the book for the mystery and the romance but I always get hooked on the secondary characters and hope they appear in the next installment from Daniels.

So, I have finished the book and I'm totally vested in Beartooth, Montana and its citizens. I'm ready for the next installment and my only disappointment is that I have to wait 8 months for it to come out.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Daniels gives us a fun story with lots of twists and turns. The plot lines develop quickly, are believable and provide enough suspense to keep you turning the pages. Three separate stories, or is it four, weave their way together to provide a Montana cowboy saga that is captivating.

It comes complete with a decent sheriff who you cheer for, a damsel in distress who needs rescuing but doesn't believe she does, a crooked judge, a drunken lawyer, a criminal who isn't a criminal and a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. Oh and I forgot, the anarchist who is actually raising a family of psychopaths.

All this drags Kate, the damsel in distress, and Jake, the not a criminal cowboy, into each others lives. From the moment they meet there are sparks, but neither want to admit it. Then people start showing up dead and could Kate be the one killing them off.

Oh and let's not forget the hunt for buried treasure, a chest full of gold that's buried somewhere in the mountains.

There are lots of other twists, but I'll leave those for you to discover as you read. This is a fun rainy day story that provides lots of entertainment.

Enjoy!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've read both books in this series. Although I didn't really care for Unforgiven, this book was quite a bit better. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. I wouldn't say it was great but I enjoyed the majority of it. I didn't care for a part at the ending to this book. I found it to be far-fetched. It just kinda ruined the story that I was actually enjoying up to this point.

For the most part I enjoyed this story though. I'd say the first 90% was good. The characters were more likable in this book and the storyline was interesting and fun to follow. There was some romance in this book. Not much but some. Once again it was more mystery & suspense rather than a romance.

Although I found this book to be better than the first in the series, I don't think I'd really recommend either one. I won't be reading any more in this series. These are the only 2 books that I've read from this author so I don't know if others are better or not. There are much better books out there than these 2 though so I'd recommend something different.
on September 15, 2013
This was a very good read. Jack and Kate have their own issues they have to overcome and Daniels delivers a believable story. It's an incredible ride and excellently done. The story has a lot of characters with major past. She reveals it all in a show and not a tell. All the characters can get a little confusing at times but in the end she has delivered you a town of people and all the gossip to go with it. The only true surprise in the book was that the box of gold was boobie-trapped. I didn't expect that and was left wondering how the owner would have retrieved his gold. Anyway, there are lots of clues along the way so no major surprise when in the end the lawyer is the one doing the killing.

I would definitely read more of Daniels' books. She is a well written author.
VINE VOICEon January 31, 2013
This is the second Beartooth, Montana Series - I would suggest picking up Unforgiven (Hqn) and enjoying the adventure. Jack French was sent to prison for a crime he did not commit and now is back in the small town of Beartooth , Montana. On his first night home he meets Kate the new owner of the local cafe. Kate has a HUGE secret and is slowly reveiled to the reader. The secondary story of the sherriff ,the murder mystery and characters of small town takes this book to a whole new level.

If you enjoy this genre I would also suggest;The Buckhorn Legacy (The Buckhorn Brothers),Rescue My Heart (AN ANIMAL MAGNETISM NOVEL) and Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch (Montana Mystique).