Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on August 22, 2012
I have to say that this book is definitely worth 10 bucks. Here are the pros and cons

Pros
- Lots of quick practice problems to do. There are plenty of quizzes for each topic (like sentence completion, short reading, identifying errors...etc.) The quizzes only have 4-6 questions, so they are really quick and easy
- The difficulty of these questions, in my opinion, are pretty close to those made by CollegeBoard. The questions in this book aren't too easy or too hard.
- Detailed explanations for each quiz question
- Every topic starts out with example questions and tips
- Has a "hit parade" of commonly tested words; flash cards... kind of. It does have a nice section in which the book gives you a situation, and appropriate SAT vocabulary to use. For example: "Homework Excuses" or "At the Dinner Table". It's pretty fun to read!

Cons
- No practice tests
- Not enough explanation on the types of reading questions, grammar mistakes, or sentence completion tricks.
- The book needs more practice questions in general. You'll be done with this book in at most a week.
- Just a personal pet peeve: For some quizzes, the questions are on the left hand side while the answers are on the right. I can't help but accidentally look at the answers and remember them. You'll need to cover up the answers with something...
on February 18, 2013
I saw this title from the Beestar SAT/ACT recommended reference, later my college app adviser gave me one. Thus I took it pretty seriously and now I want to share what I've learned.

This is a strategy book. We need strategies to master a standard test like SAT. Everything is very well organized and its strategies are easy to understand and follow.

1)Verb skills = 2/3 of the SAT. Since 6 out of the 9 sections of SAT test some kind of verbal skills. This book emphasizes this concept, and provides solid strategies to improve my Critical Reading and writing with sentence completion, critical reading, grammar and essay writing.

2)The section on Sentence completions shows me how to spot the clues. I read such strategies in other books. From this book, I really got the concepts behind. I consistently got a high score in my weekly self-tests through the Beestar SAT/ACT reading and writing programs.

3)The most wonderful part of this book is the Hit Parade words. As vocabulary is so important in SAT, we all spent long time in years to build our word bank. Before taking SAT, we need to highly condensed word lists. The about 250 Hit Parade words are generated from the past 10-year tests and are likely to appear on the Critical Reading sections of SAT. These words, along with the techniques for memorizing them, made up the bulk of the vocabulary section of this book. It made me more confident with my coming SAT test.

As this is not a practice book, you will one of the many books with bunch of practice tests or get some online deals like Beestar SAT/ACT. However, this book gives you the foundation for achieving high scores eventually. 1Sr
on September 4, 2013
I recently had to retake the SAT as my previous scores were too old to be considered for transfer admissions. As a longtime fan of Princeton Review's products, notably Word Smart, 5th Edition (Smart Guides), I picked up this book with the hope that it would help prepare me again to tackle Critical Reading and Writing questions on the SAT. I was disappointed.

The whole book is less than 200 pages, and I admit -- this thin volume seems like an attractive alternative to its Barron's counterpart, which is a hundred pages heavier. But quantity can (and in this case, does) compromise quality: there simply are not enough practice test questions to get you off kicking and running.

That isn't to say that the book has no merits: the few questions that are actually in the book are very much like the ones you would see on the real SAT, and answers to every question are explained well. The latter point is particularly important, as the author encourages you to go back to the questions which you've incorrectly answered and understand why you got it wrong.

In sum, I would recommend this book as a supplement to The Official SAT Study Guide, 2nd edition, but if you want to maximize your scores, this shouldn't be your only resource.
on April 2, 2013
Princeton Review always does a good job of sticking very close to the actual test. Practice is the best way to raise your score.
on November 23, 2015
It awesome, break down all the info you need piece by piece.
on July 12, 2014
My son is currently using it helpful and clear to review
on March 8, 2015