Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House #40)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon October 20, 2008
I have read many of the Magic Treehouse books while recently "studying" for my 6-year old's Magic Treehouse Birthday Party. She really loves this series, reads them ravenously, and plays "Jack and Annie" constantly with her friends. I read around 15 of them, up until now the first part of the series (this is my first of the Merlin Missions), and have found the books to be cute, quick and entertaining.

I have never found anything in them that concerns me for my daughter to be reading, which is more than I can say for many of the series out there for young children, whose main characters are often wisecracking, sibling-hating and constantly in trouble. I love the way Jack and Annie play together and protect one another, even while they don't always agree and have different styles and strengths.

In any case, regarding this specific book, I think it is a wonderful addition to the Magic Tree House Series, or if you child is new to the series, an excellent introduction. My daughter just got it for her birthday.. and I gave it a quick read because now that I've read so many, I wanted to see what the Merlin Missions were all about.

I was quite impressed. This book seemed a little bit more developed and engrossing than some of the early stories. Not in a way that is too difficult for kids, but just more substantial. It was a good mix of fantasy and fact, like usual, with easily digestible facts and lessons, in this case on penguins and the Antarctic. This book was doubly interesting in that it was a culmination of a 4-book set (the magic treehouse books have 4 book sets that circle around a particular theme or type of mission -- in this one they are trying to find 4 secrets of happiness for Merlin who is exceedingly sad and have been asked by Morgan le Fay, the owner of the treehouse, to help). The secrets they share -- nature, curiosity, compassion and taking care of others -- provide just lovely messages for kids.

There are a few scary parts, when they fall down a cliff, or when a predatory bird is attacking a penguin, but Osborne has a gift for having adventure in her stories without the "scary" aspect being too much for kids. My daughter will hardly watch anything these days because of mean or scary characters, and that extends to some books -- but these stories always engage her without frightening her.

If your kids already like the Magic Tree House series, definitely add this one to their collection. If MTH is new for your children, this is a great one to start with. It stands alone nicely (she has a short prologue which explains things well up to this point), and may get your child interested in reading the earlier books. What's so great about Magic Tree House is that it is wonderful for boys and for girls. And it really creates a gentle exposure to history and character often natural science, but in a fun way. And for those kids that love the topic of the book, there are non-fiction research guides, very easily accessible for 5-6 years and up with lots more information on those topic (for this book, the companion research guide is Penguins and Antarctica (Magic Tree House Rsrch Gdes(R)).

This book makes a wonderful gift for any early to mid-level reader. If your child is an early reader, it would be great to read with them. For a mid-level reader, they can spread it out a chapter at a time, or like my daughter, tear through it in an afternoon. Great job, Mary Pope Osborne. Please keep them coming!!!
on September 2, 2013
It's book was a book that my child's school required to buy. We got it along with the other required books so quickly she is set for the rest of the year. Thanks for the quick shipping. Se is excited to read it.
Eve of the Emperor Penguin is a Magic Tree House book. These books are about a boy named Jack and his sister named Annie. They go on adventures in their magic tree house. At the beginning of this story Jack and Annie have a mission to go to Antarctica! The magic tree house takes them there. The treehouse lands in a dent in an ice mountain. There are lots of penguins surrounding the tree house. The ice cracks. Jack and Annie are trapped. Read the book to see what happens!
My favorite parts are when Annie and Jack help Morgan Le Fay because he was sad. Morgan owns the Magic Tree House. They help him find the secret of happiness in something they brought back for him from Antarctica! My other favorite part is when they meet the penguins because they are cute!
I recommend this book only for ages 4 and up. It would be too hard for someone younger than that. I also think people who love adventures will like it. I really like this adventure book. You will, too!
on November 5, 2012
My son has loved these books since the 1st grade. They follow similar charactors throughout the series and are easy reading for an advanced reader. At the same time they challange an average reader with an easy to follow plot.
on July 14, 2013
Your kids will love this book and the series! My son started reading this series towards the end of the school year and he loves it! I love to see him enjoying books this way. I hope we find another series like this for him once he's finished.
on June 16, 2013
I found out about Magic Tree House from my six-year old who began reading it in first grade. He has devoured each book that he borrowed from the school library. He loves it so much he even sent a letter to the author, Mary Pope Osborne, via the official site (which I finally let him a part of). The books in this series has a great many things to offer young readers and their parents alike: adventure, history, and improvement of reading skills. My son loves how history is interwoven into the stories and loves to let us know what he learned. We have since started our own home collection of the Magic Tree House series and look forward to reading many more adventures of Jack and Annie (the brother and sister team protagonist of the books).

Great book for budding bookworms!
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2011
This book, Eve of the Emperor Penguin is the third book in the Magic Tree House series my son has read. It was his favorite out of the three because it had more adventure in it. There was one nerve-wracking scene in it that he felt really built the suspense and made you worry for Jack and Annie. He adored the descriptions of the penguins, and especially liked reading about Penny.

This book combines all the fantastic elements of the Magic Tree House books: friendship, being brave, learning to follow instructions, how reading is important, and being kind to animals.

Easy and fun to read, Eve of the Emperor Penguin is a great, plotty addition to the Magic Tree House series.
on January 20, 2015
The Magic Tree House books are a MUST READ collection for all children. Unlike many other series for young readers, the Magic Tree House should be read in chronological order to best appreciate Jack and Annie's travels through time as they go on various missions; which are typically completed in four parts. Parents and educators will enjoy going along for the ride as much as their students! My daughter is a teenager now but she still gets excited when she sees a new tree house adventure has come out.
on September 4, 2014
This book was amazing! With all the twists and turns in the book, I never knew what was going to happen next! That's real good!
Never underestimate the books that Mary Pope Osborne writes! They're awesome!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
REVIEWED BY: Wayne S. Walker (BN)

The "Magic Tree House" book #40 is now out. Jack and Annie of Frog Creek, PA, are taken by Morgan Le Fay's magic tree house to Antarctica to find the fourth secret of happiness and help Merlin get better. They encounter lots of snow, an angry petrel trying to attack a young penguin, researchers at McMurdo Station, the volcanic activity of Mt. Erebus, dangerous crevasses in the ice, and, of course, penguins. But will they locate the secret and be able to return to Camelot in time to save Merlin? The book offers a great basis for studying the history and geography of Antarctica and also for learning more about penguins.