Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Summer (Bright & Early Board Books(TM))
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Board book|Change

on December 11, 2005
I have been wanting to buy copies of this for my school library and myself (to replace a very battered childhood copy) for a long time, but for some reason this one, unlike its companion, SNOW, has been out of print. I was delighted when I learned that it was being reprinted. When I saw this reissue, I was saddened and rather baffled to see that they had changed it. I can't figure out why one of the children's hair color has been changed from blonde (okay, yellow, actually) to brown. What on earth is the point? And I'm unable to understand why they left out a two-page spread, the one in which the dog has a crab clamped on his tail and his eyes are big and surprised. Do they think it's too scary for children? What nonsense; it's never scared any child to whom I've read it.

I am grateful that they reissued it, but I would be a lot more grateful if they'd not messed around with it before doing so. I ordered a used copy of the original, in good condition, for my collection, instead of buying this. If this were the original, I'd give it five stars, but I am removing two stars for senseless changes.
on February 28, 2006
I was happy with my purchase at first until I realized this book is missing two pages that the original version has.

I have an original version I just wanted a newer book to read to my grandchildren. The two pages that are missing ended up being my granddaughter's favorite parts. She was very disappointed
on January 1, 2012
I originally came across the board book in a store and bought it because I remember reading this book as a child. I thought I was losing my memory when I remembered pages that weren't in the board book. I looked it up on Amazon, and quickly found that the board book was a condensed version of this, the regular version. I went ahead and ordered this version-- and I love it. The cadence of the book makes it really fun to read aloud to my little kids, and the pictures are bright and engaging. We have a ton of books, but this one is one of our favorites.
on April 5, 1999
This easy-reader has my two-year-old enthralled and her parents charmed. Roy McKie's illustrations add to the humor and surprise of Ms. Low's simple poetry. Originally published in 1963, it provides a nostalgic look at a carefree season through the eyes of two youngsters and their dog. McKie also illustrated Beginner Book's "Snow", a nice companion to this title.
on December 18, 2002
A classic from the Dr. Seuss "Beginner Books" series, and in my opinion, the best of that series.
Not a story as such, but a wonderfully simple rhyme about many of the childhood joys of summer. The pictures complement the text ideally. One of my favourite books as a child, and now as a parent. Oh yes, the kids love it too.
The companion book "Snow" has the same illustrator but a different author(s) for some reason. Nevertheless it also is very good, and it is well worth having both (kids like to read both in one sitting).
Looking at the "peek inside", it seems the pictures have been touched up in the new release. The girl now has dark hair. I've no idea why they did this. I hope it hasn't been spoilt.
on December 19, 2013
Great book and the illustrations are just fabulous!

They bring back many memories for me and I can't say enough good things about this wonderful book!

I do understand the changing of the colors of the hair on the girl and think it was a good choice!
on November 12, 2015
Read this to my kids, lots, back in the 70s & we all enjoyed it ...then we *lost* it & I tried for ages to find another copy [nostalgia !]...it was out of print for quite a while I understand ...so we are all thrilled to see it again ...thanks Amazon...<3 :-)
VINE VOICEon June 19, 2006
My three boys, all under 4, love this book. It's loaded with ice cream eating, marshmallow roasting, firefly catching fun. If your kids -- or kids you know -- love to swim, eat watermelon, play with pups, or swing up high, they will love this book. My four year old has memorized many of the rhymes and loves to add his own twists. The others are not far behind. The drawings are big and colorful with lots of smiles. Pup always seems to be in a situation the kids find hilariously funny. Whenever we need a dose of summer, we read this book and summer is in season -- even in the dead of winter.
on June 13, 2006
I am such a fan of Roy Mckie's illustrations. This is a similar book to 'snow' which is also illustrated by McKie using the same two children. In this book, Summer, they explore the lovely things to do in summer, things like Watermelon, going to the beach, swinging and catching fireflies.

The pictures are enormously appealing to my 2 and 4 year olds, and my 4 year old is beginning to enjoy early reading attempts. The rhymes are simple and so are the illustrations.

There is also a bit of nostalgia for a bygone era, of hay rides and horses.
on February 10, 2006
This has been my son's favorite book since he was 12 months old. He carries it around the house and brings it to me to read to him. We can bury this book in a mound of others and my son will still find it for me to read. It's the only book that he hasn't damaged in some way. He's 18 months old now and will sit in my lap quietly while I read this to him.

The writing is superb and easy for the kids to follow. The pictures are gorgeous and colorful. Kudos to both the author and the illustrator!