Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 30, 2000
Hi! My name is Roger. I am 9 years old and I am in third grade. I just read the book Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. It is about Ramona Quimby, a member of the Quimby family. The third grade is harder than Ramona expected. Ramona is funny and intelligent. Beezes is starting junior high school and has a lot of homework. Ramona's dad is going to college, and Ramona's mom has a new job.
I think the book was great. It was funny. I recommend this book to 3rd graders. It would be too hard for 2nd grade and 1st grade students. I give this book 5 stars for the vocabulary and the funny parts it has.
on May 23, 2002
I have happy memories of reading this book aloud to my father when both of us were sick with stomach flu. Somehow, cuddling on the couch reading about Ramona's similar predicament helped both of us feel better.
Like all the Ramona books, this is an outstanding portrayal of a very real little girl as she learns to enjoy reading, falls off her bike, fights with her sister and makes peace with old friends. It's a great book for eight-year-olds and for those who were eight a long time ago!
on February 26, 2003
Although it is easy for many of us to forget what it was like to be little it is obvious that Beverly Cleary has never suffered from this problem. She shows that children have feelings and thoughts of their own. Her skills as an author are also present in the way she regards her younger readers as intelligent individuals while teaching them that they can be more than they are with a little thought and work.
Ramona is creative, imaginative, talented, and of course active just as every other eight year old would be. Not only are her active escapades entertaining, but so are her thought processes. Watch and enjoy as Ramona strugles to keep happy in some very potentialy traumatic times.
on December 3, 2005
This book takes the reader through the journey of Ramona Quimby your average girl. Ramona has just turned 8, which makes her big and is going to a new school. Beatrice her older sister is always having the upper hand on Ramona. Ramona's father is going back to school and the family is struggling just to make ends meet. Ramona stays in the afternoons with Howie Kemps grandmother and Howies little sister Wilma Jean. Wilma Jean is a thorn in Ramona's side. Ramonas mother begs her to keep the peace and be responsible so Mrs. Quimby can continue working. On Ramonas first day of school she is faced with Danny a bully who steals her eraser. Ramona gets the best of Danny and calls him Yard Ape. After this Danny respects her and Ramona kinda has a crush on him. Ramona is indifferent with her new teacher Ms. Whaley. Throughout the book Ramona is faced with problems such as being a nuisence to her teacher, "Yard Ape", her sister Beezus and her mother and fathers tiresome struggle to pay for bills, manage a family and work and go to school. In the end of the book after a much hard day of frustration the family goes on a limb and goes to Whopperburger. While there they come across an old man who is interested in the family. Towards the end of the meal the Quimbys find out that the man has paid for their dinner, because they remind him of his family and how nice of a family the Quimbys are. This action makes the whole family realize how special their relationship is and how even though they all may be cross in some situations that they are in fact one happy family!

Ramona Quimby is such a great character. A teacher could use this book to simply engage students in reading and allow them to connect with reading and the characters involved. Students can understand what it means to be a "family" and what it is like to grow up. A teacher could do a lesson on manners and what to do in situations that Ramona faced with her classmates and especially "Yard Ape". Students could be involved in a lesson that goes over what to do in a situation where a bully is involved and what actions to take when a circumstance such as a bully occurs. Also, students could do an art lesson that involves perspective with the example of Ramonas father drawing her foot.

I really enjoyed this book. I never really read any of the Ramona books when I was younger. I love how Beverly Cleary makes Ramona come to life and how her troubles in life seem to work out one way or the other. This book I feel holds up to the good literature framework and I love how even though each character is flawed in some way that in the end they all seen to come together and make their messed up life work. I found myself really connected with this family and many of the situations that Ramona faced in her school life the same things that I faced when I was in school. I overheard one time my teacher say something about me. It really had an impact on my life and my feeings toward school. I, like Ramona, took what I heard and placed the emphasis and meaning of what the teacher said wrong. The teacher however meant something different. I really loved this book and cannot wait to read the rest of the Ramona Quimbys crazy life!
on January 2, 2006
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is written by Beverly Cleary and gets a 5 star rating by me.

I am rating this book 5 stars because it just brings back memories to kids older than 8. If you aren't older than 8 then it shows you sort of shows you what is to come in the future. Her lifestyle is a lot like a real human's lifestyle. That is another reason why I enjoyed reading this book so much. The author just amazes me because she makes a charcter that is not really a real person turn to life. As an example she lives with her sister who always bothers her. She has a cat and a next door neighbor named Henry.

My life relates to hers so much. When I was in 2nd grade people would like to take my things without asking. Just like in the novel, when Danny "The yard ape" steals her eraser and throws it around with his friend. This book also relates to my life when Ramona got that egg dropped on her head. When I was in fourth grade one of the same situations happen to me. My friend Eric started laughing really hard and spit his yogurt all over me then after that I had to go to the nurse and get it all cleaned up.

Some other books I would recommend are, Ramona and Her Mother, Ramona and her Father, and all the other Ramona Quimby books. I really recommend you to read this book.
on February 16, 2001
This book was very funny. Ramona Quimby goes to the third grade. She has to go to a new school, Cedarhurst. On the bus she meets a boy named Danny. Ramona calls him "Yard Ape". In the beginning of the school year, Ramona tried to crack an egg on her head and got her hair eggy. Ramona thinks it's good to be eight. She likes her new teacher, Mrs. Whaley. If only she didn't throw up in school, one day, and if her mother wouldn't remind her to be nice to Willa Jean Kemp, Ramona's life would be perfect. I don't want to spoil this for all of you who haven't read this book. If you want to find out what happens to Ramona next, read this book and find out.
on April 12, 2000
In Ramona Quimby, Age 8, Beverly Cleary demonstrates the positive effects that reading can bring into the life of a child. She does this in such a way that readers can measure the actual growth resulting from Ramona's reading. Since starting school, teacher expect Ramona to list unfamiliar words as she reads class assignments. This school year, she can read without being expected to list words. Toward the end of the year, Ramona describes a book assignment, an age-appropriate book, as using "babyish words" (148). The transition that occurs in Ramona is a result of the importance that she places on her reading. The more she reads, the easier it becomes until there are few words that she does not know. She not only reads better, but her vocabulary increases from learning new words by looking at the context in which the word is used in the sentence. While writing her oral book report and presentation, Ramona becomes so involved in her ideas that she forgets that it is an assignment and thinks of it as enjoyment. Ramona uses colorful paper to make cat masks and puts on a commercial to her entire class. Here, Cleary stresses one of multiple ways that children can learn and teach others their interpretation of a certain book. They not only enjoy the book, but they show their creative side; these oral reports give other students ideas how to express themselves, and also give them self-confidence to perform in front of a group. Cleary examines one way to teach literacy that keeps children excited and shows how that way affects a certain child. Ramona's teacher lets the class read a book of their choice every day. This is Ramona's favorite part of school. She looks forward to her silent reading time because it makes school enjoyable for her. Even when nothing else is going well for her, this positive experience serves as her one escape from reality. Ramona Quimby, Age 8, is a refreshing tale of some of the challenges a child faces in school. Beverly Cleary consistently demonstrates the impact of reading on children. This could quite possibly be why her books are so popular. She develops books that involve children reading for pleasure and captures the attention of the children that she depicts so accurately.
on June 8, 1998
Ever since I read Ramona Quimby, Age 8 two years ago (when I myself was eight) it has always been one of my favourite books. I understood all of Ramona's feelings, so few books make me feel that way. I'd definitely recommend it!
on April 4, 2005
This story takes place in 2003 were all the Quimby's have their ups and their downs, but none fills them more intensely than Ramona. Her low point is the day she throws up in the class and Mrs. Whaley instructs the class to hold their noses and file into the hal way. But three days later Ramona recovers her sickness to give a book report in a style of a T.V. commercial, and bringing down the house with her final ad-line of "I can't believe I read the whole thing".

This book is mostly about Ramona and her family and how she deals with it all. She has to deal with school teachers and students especially yard-ape and Willa Jean. But in all her despite she loves her family.

In my opinion I personally like it a lot, because it showed a lot of funny stuff and it showed happiness too, any way it is a really good book to read.

I would recommend this book because it is very good and entertaining book to read plus there are many more books out there to be read.
on March 15, 2003
This was a great book because it is about a girl and some of the things that happen to her during 3rd grade. Her dad used to be a check out person at the grocery store, now he is going back to college. Her mom works at a doctors office. Her older sister Beezus just started middle school. Money is tight in the Quimby house and Ramona and Beezus try to help out as much as they can. Some bad things happen to Ramona. One day at lunch she cracks an egg against her haed and realizes that it is not hard boiled and it meeses up her hair. The she gets sick and throws up all over her desk at school. The Quimby's car gets sick and needs a new transmission and it costs a lot of money. One rainy Sunday tha Quimbys decide to go to Whopperburger for dinner and a nice old man pays for their dinner. They realize that they may not have money but they sure do have love! Ramona Quimby, AGe 8 is a good book for kids to read becuase a lot of the same things that happen to Ramona could happen to us!