Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

• Revel

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 24, 2013
***Review posted at The Eater of Books! blog***

Revel by Maurissa Guibord
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Copy provided by the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

There's an island off the coast of Maine that's not on any modern map.

Shrouded in mist and protected by a deadly reef, Trespass Island is home to a community of people who guard the island and its secrets from outsiders. Seventeen-year-old Delia grew up in Kansas, but has come here in search of her family and answers to her questions: Why didn't her mother ever talk about Trespass Island? Why did she fear the open water? But Delia's not welcome and soon finds herself enmeshed in a frightening and supernatural world where ancient Greek symbols adorn the buildings and secret ceremonies take place on the beach at night.

Sean Gunn, a handsome young lobsterman, befriends Delia and seems willing to risk his life to protect her. But it's Jax, the coldly elusive young man she meets at the water's edge, who finally makes Delia understand the real dangers of life on the island. Delia is going to have to fight to survive. Because there are monsters here. And no one ever leaves Trespass alive.

What I Liked:

First, let me say that this book is in no way associated with Mrs. Guibord's first novel, Warped. Warped (2011) is AMAZING, a story about time-travel and curses and Fate, and I totally recommend to anyone, but Revel is not related to Warped in any way. Just a note :)

Second, can I just say how GORGEOUS the cover of Revel is!? I love the blue and white swirls, and trust me, it's even prettier in person. AND SHINY. This one is quite the stunner from Delacorte.

Okay, now the actual book. This review might be a little short, because I LOVED this book. And usually, with books that I absolutely love, I tend to go on and on and gush endlessly about things that I loved (which tends to be everything), and I'm sure people get the idea after a while.

The story does not start slowly at all - which I appreciated. While I will read through them, I am not a fan of slow starts. Revel kicks off quickly and gains speed, adding the mythological aspect of the book faster than I expected (not at all a bad thing). The pacing of this book was perfect (in my opinion), and fit the story extremely well.

I enjoyed reading about Delia. She is a heroine that anyone can like, and she is tough and inquisitive. I love the way she stood up for herself at every chance she got. She wasn't snarky or rude, but she was assertive, and I found myself cheering her on. It is never easy fitting in a place where no one wants you. I think she handled everything thrown at her very well, especially the no-technology-on-this-island thing. That one would not have sat well with me.

Delia's Gran is a fabulous mentor, and Zuzu and Reilly are excellent friends. Each character's relationship with Delia is different and rocky, but each character cares about each other and Delia, so I genuinely liked each of them by the end of the book. Sean is another sweet secondary character who fights to protect everyone on the island, which almost ended up being a disaster for him.

But Jax. Jax is my favorite character of this book. Right from his formal introduction (there was an informal one first), we know that he is not perfect, or godlike (no pun intended), or the stereotypical divine male that pops out of nowhere and is suddenly a love interest. He still is a love interest, but he's not like, the usual HOT supernatural male creature. That made me love him even more. He is an outcast, but he is so noble. There seriously aren't enough to describe this guy. Just trust me - he's amazing in a not-so-typical way. I feel like only shallow readers wouldn't like him, because he isn't perfect. But I think his imperfections make him even more appealing, and apparently, Delia thought so, too (hint hint).

So, yes, there is sort of a love triangle. But you can tell where it was going as soon as you read about both love interests. It is so obvious, which is GOOD. No choosing teams or getting up-in-arms over Delia. She knew what she really wanted, they knew what they really wanted, and the romance wraps up cleanly.

The plot of this book was fantastic. I don't want to give anything away, but believe me, you will not be bored at any point in this book. I always found myself wondering, "What happens next?" throughout the book, and I could not wait until the end to find out. And contrary to what I thought, the ceremony Revel is NOT the climax of the book. Usually, the one big event of the book is the climax, towards the end-ish. Well, the ceremony Revel is past the middle, but it isn't the climax. A nice surprise for me, who usually has things figured out halfway through books. The monsters, the transformations, the deaths... you will NOT be disappointed! Or bored!

I thought this was going to be a short review, and I wouldn't gush. Oops.

What I Did Not Like:

There really isn't anything that I can put here. Maybe the fact that I can't understand how Delia gave up technology to live on Trespass Island? I could never do that. But that's more of a personal preference, not a negative in a book.

Would I Recommend It:

YES! Go get it NOW! Anyone can read and will most likely love this book.

Rating:

5 stars - there was no doubt in my mind after I finished this one that it would be 5 stars from me. Revel will definitely be in my favorites of 2013 list, just as Warped as in 2011!
1111 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
I downloaded Revel expecting a decent, quick, and entertaining read. Let me just say, this book took me by surprise. It's absolutely a young adult novel - nothing heavy or terribly thought provoking, which is the reason I pick up a book like this to begin with. I simply want to be entertained; Revel was entertaining. Many of the young adult novels I've read lately have just blurred together - there's nothing new there. Revel was different. The scene was beautifully painted, the characters were real and varied, and I was drawn into the fantasy element. A lot of the newer YA books feel cheesy and forced, and I wondered if this one was going to fall that way, but in my opinion, it never did. I loved it.
on March 4, 2013
I expected Revel by Maurissa Guibord to be good. But this was like a breathe of fresh air. After reading two awful books I really needed something this phenomenal to restore my faith in YA literature.

When I first started to read this book, I wasn't feeling very well but after the first few chapters, it sucked me in and I completely forgot how sick I felt. I laid in bed for hours ignoring my boyfriend, ignoring my phone, and ignoring my favorite tv shows. I really enjoyed it that much.

I don't want to ruin any of the mysteries on this island. Nor do I want to reveal too much of the story line but it involved two reasonably attractive men, tons of secrets, some scary monsters, lots of water, and a very righteous female lead.

Delia is the type of person I think readers will really connect with. She didn't view things as black and white, she saw things in every shade. For instance, a creature had attacked her in the water. But it barely grazed her before it fled away, for reasons we don't know until later. Sure she was scared, but when that creature was sentenced to a slow, painfully dry death, she wouldn't stand by. Though it scared her and hurt her, she understood that it was only doing what it was ordered to do and didn't deserve this harsh punishment. I'd also like to mention that even though some things were "tradition" she fought like hell when it came to a certain ceremony. I think she is definite role model material.

Minor spoiler alert: The monsters surrounding the island were something I haven't seen in YA literature before. Usually what you get is what you get, but not with the Glaukos monsters. Though the back story was small, it needed no further explanation. I also loved the fact that we didn't get typical mermaids/merman, we got something better, something more. Sure mermaids are cool, but when they are confined to the water, they aren't. Good job on that twist. (Spoiler over)

My only complaint is that there wasn't a lot of back story when it came to the characters surrounding Delia. I'd have liked to know more about the lifes of Zuzu, Jax, and Sean before Delia arrived to the island. I think knowing what it was like growing up on Trespass island would have been wonderful.

I could go on and spoil all of the surprises about Revel, but I won't do that. I loved the originality of this book and hope everyone else does too!
on April 1, 2013
I would have given it 4 stars had it not been for the last 10 percent of the book. Don't get me wrong I very much enjoyed the first 90 percent of the book but the last 10 percent was almost as if the author was just over the whole thing and tried to write the ending as quickly as possible. It totally didnt jive with the rest of the book. I wouldnt let that deter you from reading the book however since it was quite good for most of it!
on October 23, 2013
So despite all odds and me being the mermaid lover that I am did not see this one coming. I knew there would be some sort of mythology because "ancient Greek symbols" kind of gives it away. Looking back at the description all of the signs were there I just missed them. What I didn't realize was, that this was going to be a twist on the mer's that I was truly going to fall for. Guibord has a captivating writing style and really pulled me in with her unique and intriguing tale that had creepy and different twists to it.

Delia has no idea what she is getting herself into. Having lost her mother and being bounced around in foster care has made her go looking for the one place she should never go...her mothers birthplace. It is clear that outsiders are not welcome and Delia is no different but what they don't know and she doesn't know, is that she is. This island where no outsiders go and no insiders leave but what happens when you belong to an insider and life is about to get complicated. There is more to Trespass Island than anyone could have ever imagined and more than Delia had bargained for. The question became not if she could survive it but if she could survive the storm that her arrival has awakened upon the island.

It took me awhile to get a feel for Delia. Not that she was someone that I disliked but I wasn't instantly drawn to her. She was a well balanced character although the balance was strewn throughout the book and not a constant. The girl was anything but a pushover and once she made a decision there was no going back and as the story progressed I found that her quick mouth and stand her ground behaviour was winning me over. Not that she did everything without thinking because she often did have rational thought, a good conscious and a good sense of right and wrong in a place that seemed to be lacking in that. What I think the biggest thing was, was that despite all these quirks she wasn't overly developed and I never had a clear picture of her in my head but I liked what I knew of her personality.

I'm not quite sure if I should say there was a triangle in this one because there really wasn't but there was the making for one. To be honest the guy I liked didn't even win and I honestly thought he would. It's not like she was dating both of them and couldn't make up her mind, it was more of a they were both interested in her and she was not really sure what was going on. Sean was a good guy with great intentions but he was never really around because of his job and a few secrets he was hiding. When it came to Jax things were just as shady because he came and went as he felt with no real reason. As you can see both guys are kind of there but it was kind of the story that dictated who she was with and the why because she was never fully with either until she started feeling something fully for one.

This was a quick and interesting read that I did start and finish all in one go. It was the kind of book that kept me guessing and completely involved. Though the characters weren't as fleshed out as I would have like the story itself made up for it. What may also draw many of you is that there is no cliffhanger, as this is a standalone read!! To be honest after this I would love to get my hands on Guibord's previous novel Warped because I did love her writing so much. If you like mermaids and something a little different that you can enjoy in one go I would recommend this read. Actually if you aren't a fan of mermaids give this a go because it really is a different type of read.
on October 9, 2013
Amazing !!! I read this book and finished it all in the same day. I loved the main character Delia and the whole whole storyline about her finding out more information about her mother. There was so much intrigue and mystery behind the whole backstory about the Island and its residents. At first I was wondering why the townspeople were so hostile to Delia and then when I learned more and more about the town's history I just had to read finish this book today. Delia's Grandmother Marianne wasn't my favorite initially but as the story progressed I grew to like her and she was caring/loving to Delia.

The one thing that did bug me was that I don't understand why Delia's mom left Trespass Island in the first place. Or why the townspeople called her a traitor for leaving. The book just stated that she was considered a traitor because she left Trespass and no one ever does so, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. When I got towards the middle of the book I thought that there was a love triangle brewing between Sean, Jax, and Delia. But it turns out that my assumption was wrong. I never knew what Revel was and when I found out what it was, it made me laugh. I can't tell you what Revel truly is but I will say that it deals with both the First Ones and Lander Girls aged 16.

Rarely do I get surprised by a book's plot but in this case I was surprised by what happened to Delia and who she really is (read this book and you will understand). By the end of this book I was wishing that there would be a sequel to this. I am glad that Delia (spoiler alert) chose Jax to be with in the end. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes Greek Mythology.

Thanks for Reading :D

originally posted on my blog Book Reviews: [...]
on June 7, 2014
Oh. My. Goodness!!! I love, love, LOVED this book! It's amazing! It's one of those books that grabs you in the first couple of pages and doesn't let go until the end! And I didn't want it to end!!! It needs a sequel or a trilogy. I'm so sad it had to end but oh goodness did I enjoy my time on Trespass Island!

I can't tell you much because it will give everything away and I want you to experience it yourself, but trust me, this is a wonderful read! There it's this girl who goes to visit her grandma and her entire life changes. It also changes those around her.

Just read it! LOL!

XXOO,
~ Hope
on May 14, 2013
It has an original concept, it was interesting how the Greek mythology was handled.
The first half of the book was a little slow going and I made a few rants over some of the characters, but nothing too serious, and at the end I almost forgot about the bad stuff, almost.. which is why I'm giving it 3.5 stars.
on February 15, 2013
Wow.Im Stunned and in utter Awe of Revel By Maurissa Guibord.This is the first book I have read by this Author and I am quite frankly Blown Away.Revel takes place on Trespass Island where people live but never leave.Delia's mother is from there and finds a way to get to the island since no one is allowed to go there.Once she gets there she is greated with hostility.She has no idea what is in store for her.Sean is one of the male characters you will meet and Jax,Jax is a Demigod.They go back for centuries and rule the undersea.Jax is full of awesome.Delia realizes something isn't quite right about her and you will figure that out once you read the book.

This book is seriously stunning.I was swept away in the romance,the history,the drama,Like a huge tidal wave.The way Maurissa writes is astoundingly real and makes you feel like you are right in the center of the ocean.I think my only issue with the story is that the ending was a bit fast for me and I would have liked an epilogue.But it certainly did not need one I just enjoy knowing what happens after the ending.This is a must read!Great Job Maurissa Guibord!It was a pleasure reading this and I cannot wait to read more of your work!
44 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2013
This was an amazing read, once I picked it up and started reading, I could not put it down. Its a must have.