Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on March 8, 2007
Well, this is the first time for me to read about geology as I'm trying to change my career, I found exactly what I need to know about geology as a beginner, it starts from the first moment of forming the universe encluding all the hypothisis, theories and reasons, then goes thru formation of the earth. The writer took in account the level of the reader, no deep background required, what you know from high school is more than enough and the book will take care of every thing else with very detailed explaination, nice discussed contexts, and ilustrated with clear figures and photos. I recommend this to those who want to start geology.
on March 18, 2008
If you have any interest in geology or earth science, then this is the book to have. The author has performed extensive field work in geology,( I have some of his other publications), and he has written this book with that in mind.
The clarity of his illustrations go beyond any other book I have seen. His descriptions are easily understood.
Buy a not so "great condition" if you must but get one! Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!
And "No" I'm not related to him nor have I ever met him. :)
on August 26, 2012
I decided to read this book out of curiosity. To my surprise this is the most engaging book I have read with regards to science. Stephen Marshak has done an exceptional job explaining everything about the earth.

Not only is this book beautifully illustrated, but it is a delight to read.
on September 21, 2011
In depth book on geology. A bit too deep for my high school daughter but we are working our way through. Using this as a supplement to an on line course, so far so good. The web site listed in the book is really great with lots of helpful additional animations and information. Also quizzes are available and it can be set up so the teacher or parent gets an email with the quiz results.
on June 9, 2016
Used this book for a university level geology class and it was very helpful. Really clear with tons of pictures and diagrams. Easy to read and worked perfectly well for my class.

Would recommend.
on April 21, 2013
I thought I'd pick this up to gain sufficient knowledge to read a few planetary science texts. The reviews I'd read about this text played no small part in that. They weren't wrong. Mr. Marshack nearly walks you by the hand through the subject. Again, what an amazing text! Thanks Dr. Marshak!
on December 28, 2011
My geology teacher told us that since geology hasn't changed much in the past 20 years that we could get any edition of an introduction to geology book. This was exactly what I needed and I only needed to modify the table of contents slightly to match the current edition. I probably saved about $60 by getting an older edition!
on March 7, 2014
This book gives an excellent introduction to Geology. It's easy to read, and has great illustrations. Topics are explored logically and simply.
on November 2, 2008
Easy and interesting to read. Not as hard of a fight to get through as other school textbooks.
on December 2, 2013
good book good visuals has a lot of detailed imaged and definitions. for an older version its definitley a good book