Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on January 29, 2006
The official amazon description of this book is accurate: this is a very practical guide for the post-intermediate learner of Chinese. I'm certain it would make a great textbook, but I'm using it more as a reference tool. The chapters on business correspondence, personal letters, formal letters, and announcements and small ads have been particularly useful to me so far. Each chapter is focused and provides an ample supply of useful vocabulary for each writing goal. Another nice thing about the book is that all grammar points are very well explained and answers to nearly all exercises are in the back.

Unfortunately, the first chapter of the book, "Cards," makes the book seem boring - unless you're really into making cards. I say this is unfortunate because it's the only chapter that you can see from the amazon preview. Overall, the lessons are practical and the explanations are helpful. Use this as a tool to further your third or fourth year Chinese writing skills. Good luck with your Chinese study.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2012
The book serves as an easy reference copy for my exercises. It's simple layout enables me to search for helps fast. It's a good to have reference book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2004
I have just received this book a few days after the colloquial chinese by Kan Qian. Both are very very practical. I am learning Tang Poems in traditional characters and a lot of people agree those are/were the best poems at all times. I wish they had both traditional and simplified characters side by side, otherwise I will spend a lot of time looking up the traditional-character dictionaries.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse