Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Black Moon: An Alpha Pack Novel
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 6, 2012
Black Moon by J D Tyler
Paranormal Romance -Dec. 4th, 2012
4 stars

Black Moon is the third in the author's paranormal Alpha Pack series about ex military men who are shifters.

In this book the sorcerer and shifter Kalen Black must combat his demons from his past and discover dark secrets in order to fulfill his true potential. But to do this Kalen must battle his most dangerous foe, a devious and manipulative villain whose seductive words and promises hope to convince Kalen to join him. But this will mean leaving the love of his life, Mackenzie Grant and betraying the men of the Alpha pack who have finally given him a `home.' When the Alpha pack adopted Kalen he felt a new purpose but the allure of power and the temptation of revenge against those who abused him slowly pull Kalen into a dark world that he may never find his way out of! Will the devotion and love of one courageous woman bring him back from the brink of humanity or will Kalen's slow slide into darkness be irrevocable?

This was an interesting read, not so much action as it is a psychological thriller. Will Kalen join the `dark' side or can he overcome the temptation and redeem himself? The drama and emotional agony Kalen experiences bring a lot of drama and conflict to this story. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I liked Kalen. Kalen is a very tortured hero and unlike many is very unsure of himself. A troubled childhood and extreme adversity plague him as he struggles to become an honorable man. His inner conflict between what he knows is right and his deepest and ugliest desires are fascinating and even a bit disturbing to read. The evil villain Malik makes his requests and desires for Kalen to join him often very reasonable which makes it all the more sinister. I was shocked and tense throughout the story as the seductive Malik seems to easily convert Kalen. Thankfully, Kalen has a strong and fiery woman who isn't afraid to fight for her man and her unborn baby. Mackenzie is a courageous and sympathetic heroine. She at first feels abandoned by Kalen when he leaves to `protect' her form Malik's influence but soon realizes that Kalen needs her help. For if Kalen loose his battle to fight Malik there will also be terrible consequences. I found this book sometimes difficult to read in sections since Kalen at first seems very susceptible and even weak to Malik's influence. But as the author explores Kalen's past I could understand his reasoning.

Darkly compelling psychological suspense and a fascinating paranormal world make this a nail biting read.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
on December 5, 2012
I wanted to like this book. I've been waiting for it since I read the Novella, Black Magic, about these two characters. I'm sorry, but in my opinion the heroine, Mac, was a spoiled and selfish brat. Kalen had alot of issues to work through and she kept kicking him when he was down (she even slapped him in one scene), which sent him further down the dark path. For most of the book she was stomping off mad rather than trying to see things from Kalen's point of view. Then she would decide to "give him another chance". The final straw for me with Mac is when she got caught in a lie and he got mad she ended up blaming him for not listening to her side when that's what she had done to him previously. I didn't like her before, but after that I was done with her. I kept thinking he deserved so much better than this woman. At the end, when she finally decided to stand behind him (I was pretty much skipping the parts with her in it by then) I disliked her so much that I was hoping she would just go away. I would have much preferred a tough heroine who is also compassionate, like Rowen in the previous book. I didn't get that Mac was even trying to see Kalen's side, even at the end.

I'm giving two stars because I liked Black Magic and Savage Awakening. If I had read this book first, I would never have picked up another one from this author. Hoping Ryon's heroine is better.
on December 7, 2012
Reviewed by FRANCESCA & posted at Under the Covers Book Blog
4.5 Stars
Kalen Black is a perfect dark hero." ~Under the Covers

The Alpha Pack has quickly become one of my favorite shifter series! The characters are all unique, interesting and sexy in their own way. The world and how it integrates shifters that have certain special abilities is fantastic. And the stories in each book always keep me on toes.

I should warn you that I have a soft spot for this man. Kalen Black is a perfect dark hero. I fell in love with him from the very beginning and I've been dying to read his story! First of all, he's a panther. Score two thumbs up for him on the sex appeal department. On top of that, he's a sorcerer. That combines two of my favorites! Oh yeah, and he's got the tall, dark and goth look going for him. He's dangerous, he's a bad boy, the one you want to fix.

Obviously I recommend reading this series in order, including the novella, but we were left with Kalen wanting to protect Dr. Mackenzie from an evil fae that had gotten inside her head, and the only way to do that was to put himself on the receiving end of the evil fae's mental influence.

This was hard to read for me. Loving Kalen as much as I do, it was hard to see him struggle with the Unseelie King's influence. But then he also showed why he's made of awesome. He is one of the strongest characters in this series. I love him, I love his strength, his love for his mate. His protective side and his animal side. *sigh* I just have a crush on him.

Dr. Mackenzie is no pushover either, she's amazing. Perfect for Kalen. She's a strong female who can go after what she wants but who can also stand on her own two feet and face the world. Whether that be alone or to protect the ones she loves.

Now as far as what happens in the story... my lips are sealed. Because so much happens!!!! And I wasn't expecting a lot of it, but loved every single minute of it, every event and every twist.

This book was action packed and smexy packed. You will fall in love with Kalen if you weren't already.

"You want me to go down there with you? I've seen this movie, and it didn't end so good for the stupid hero."

*ARC provided by publisher

*ARC provided by publisher
on December 6, 2012
We finally got Kalen's story. The premonition that we saw Nick have in the first book finally came to be. But was Kalen on the side of evil or good in the final showdown. Was his bondmate Mackenzie's love enough to save him.

This was a great addition to the Alpha Pack series. We met Kalen in the first book and never knew which side he was going to end up on. His past had planted many evil seeds in his soul. Its been a journey watching him grow with the Team and come to care for them but still feel like an outsider. The one true light in his dark world was always Mackenzie.

There were a lot of surprises in this book about Kaden and his past and where he came from.

This series needs to be read in order to understand what goes on in this book. I look forward to reading many more books in this series.
on December 5, 2012
Couldn't put it down. It really gave me insight to characters. Lots of action.J.D.Tyler wove a great tale can't wait for the next book
on August 21, 2013
Title: Black Moon

Series: Alpha Pack bk 3

Author: J.D. Tyler

Genre: Paranormal

A group of former Navy SEALS, the Alpha Pack is a top-secret team of wolf shifters with Psy powers combating the greatest dangers in the world. But sometimes those dangers are more intimate than they bargained for...

Ever since he saved Dr. Mackenzie Grant's life, panther shifter and sorcerer Kalen Black has had trouble keeping the beautiful doctor out of his thoughts, and his heart. The brush with death awakened an intense passion between them--one that for the first time had the notorious loner letting down his guard.

With the Alpha Pack battling an evil Fae who is slowly gaining control over Kalen's mind, Kalen can no longer trust his own actions, and he breaks off his affair with Mackenzie in order to keep her safe. But when Mackenzie learns that she is carrying Kalen's child, no amount of danger will keep her away from the man she loves. To protect his mate and unborn child, Kalen will have to battle a terrible evil, unleash the full fury of his power, and risk destroying them all...

This was the first book by this author that I have ever read. I picked it up because the cover looked intriguing and the blurb on the back had me going hmm.

From the minute I started reading it I was sucked completely into the story, even though I hadn't read the previous two books in the series, I didn't feel like I was missing to much about what was going on.

Kalen is one of those heroes who has had a craptastic life. He comes from a very abusive background and has been on his own since he as a teenager. Some of the things he had to do to survive are horrendous. On top of that once he finds himself with the Alpha Pack he is still treated like a second class citizen and useless. All of these feeds his already low self-esteem and into his insecurities. Allowing for the big bad guy to try and seduce him over to his side of the battle.

Mac is heroine that I'm still not sure whether I liked her or tolerated her. Sometimes she seemed like the perfect match for Kalen and other times like she didn't care about him it all. She was really wish washy for me for most of the story. When she makes a huge mistake, one she didn't think was that big of a deal, it's her dad who sets her straight.

There is a lot going on in this book with other members of the Alpha Pack as well, and these characters serve to make the book so much better than if it was simply Kalen and Mac.

One of the things I really don't like in my romances is cougar relationships, and while it isn't ever talked about Mac is several years older than Kalen. For about a chapter this bugged me, until I realized that Kalen is going to live for centuries so the whole age thing becomes redundant.

Over all I liked the book and will be going back to read the other books in the series.

Grade B+
Review by: Heather
[...]
on December 28, 2012
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

If you've followed my reviews for Primal Law and Savage Awakening you know that I really like this series. If you've followed our Author Events with J.D on LITERAL ADDICTION for the ALPHA PACK series, you also know that I absolutely LOVE Kalen.

Black Magic gave me a taste of what Kalen's book might be like and I really enjoyed it, but nothing could have completely prepared me for this book. It was so much MORE than I expected it to be... and so, so wonderful!

Like Primal Law, Black Moon was a fast paced, action packed romance overflowing with paranormal that will have you squealing from mid-book throughout... Like Savage Awakening, Black Moon is a captivating and enjoyable read... But more than that, Black Moon was mysterious, heartbreaking, frustrating, uber suspenseful, and full of surprises. It was so engaging that I turned the last page and just sat there shaking my head in wonder for a few minutes.

We've known since book one that Kalen is dark, dangerous, powerful, and sexy. We also know that underneath all the bravado, he's vulnerable because of all of the crap he had to go through growing up. This book literally stripped him raw and laid him out for all the world to stomp on. It tested him, and tortured him, and while things were given, they were just as quickly taken away. It was gut wrenching and powerful, and amazing. Each time a new breathtaking revelation was revealed it turned things on their head for all involved and opened up yet another can of 'what ifs' and possibilities. I know I sound like I'm spouting a bunch of riddles but I don't do spoilers and this book is SO jam packed with stuff that I don't know how else to gush about it without giving things away.

Suffice to say I loved this book. It was my absolute favorite of the series so far and not just because it was Kalen's book. It was beautifully written and J.D did a tremendous job of grabbing the reader and weaving a captivating tale of preternatural danger, mystery, drama and romance.

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Black Moon a well deserved 5 Skulls and recommends that everyone read it. I do however strongly suggest that you read the entire series including Black Magic (Kalen's eNovella) before digging in. I promise you won't be disappointed.
on December 4, 2012
This is J.D. Tyler's 3rd book in her wonderful Alpha Pack series. It picks up almost exactly where the last book, Savage Awakening, left off. As a word of advice, if you haven't read any of her series yet but really want to read this book, which I'm 100% for, I would highly recommend at least reading Black Magic first, which is a novella in the series that is basically the ground work for this book. With that being said, I'll give you a bit of a synopsis, promise I won't spoil it *grin*.

So first off we have our hero, Kalen Black who is a newer member of the Alpha Pack. He is a sorcerer but also a shape shifter, who changes into a panther. One night (in Black Magic) he comes to the rescue of one of the Alpha's doctors' Mackenzie Grant. They end up spending the night together in a tiny hotel room and wouldn't you know it, Mac is now knocked up! Ever since that magic night, Kalen has been putting distance between them because an evil entity is worming his way into Kalen's mind and is literally trying to control him. Mac of course is upset by the distance but like any good woman, she marches on. Unfortunately she knows she will have to tell Kalen about the baby but not till they're at least on speaking terms.

Enter the evil entity, The Unseelie King. He wants Kalen to play for his team and will do whatever it takes to make that happen. He's also holding a ton of secrets that will shape Kalen, Mac and their unborn baby's lives forever. *I totally could be more cryptic but I'll spare you*

What I love about Kalen is that he is a very tortured soul with the ability for greatness or to become the ultimate evil. In this book, J.D. Tyler does a fabulous job of showing us Kalen's struggle with good versus evil, all the while digging deeper into Kalen as a character. We get to experience all the ugliness of his life and the self loathing he has for himself and on a deeper level his need to belong. As well as his need to have a home, family and to just be loved. So which side is going to win? Trust me, this story isn't like one you've read before where the character has to make a choice to be good or evil, nope Kalen totally turns evil and he turns totally good at the same time. There's no choice because the character does both. Have I piqued your interest yet? Told ya, it's different. Kalen will totally touch your heart to where you just want to wrap your arms around him and give him a good cuddle *wink* but I'm serious when I say there are times in this book that you just want to totally smack the crap out of him as well!

As for our heroine, Mac, she is a girl who might be a smexy doctor but damn is she totally stupid when it comes to men, especially Kalen. She is not going to be your typical kick butt female heroine, she's soft and squishy and pregnant but she does love Kalen and is a nice balance to all his good/evil struggles.

If you can't tell, I loved every part of this book, even when I wanted to smack the crap out of Kalen and Mac. It's action packed, full of nail-biting/page-turning drama and there's a fab HEA. Long live the Alpha Pack!!
on December 5, 2012
I have patiently waited for the sorcerers book. It did not dissappoint
I love this series and it just keeps getting better and better. If your a fan of shifters then this is the series for you.
on February 17, 2013
Kalen Black is a sorcerer who is being tormented by evil itself. Kalen knows that he has to fight the evil trying to take over him and if he fails and gives into the temptation all will be lost including his one true light Mackenzie.

Dr Mackenzie Grant knew that the pendant Kalen had given her was precious to him and she knew when he gave it to her that he had wanted to protect her at all costs even his own.

With the evil fae making it harder and harder for Kalen to resist Kalen must find away to end his torment once and for all. Kalen will need his friends and the love of his beautiful Mackenzie if he is to succeed.

Will the Pack have the faith in Kalen he needs? Will Mackenzie be by his side? Will he truly be able to fight so much evil or will it be too late?

Be sure to read Black Moon the third instalment in the Alpha Pack Series by JD Tyler and find out what happens to Kalen, Mackenzie and the Pack.

Alpha Pack Series Order is