Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Problem Solving Survival Guide, Volume II (Chapters 15-24) to accompany Intermediate Accounting
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon August 18, 2009
Except for having to buy it new, there are reasons to like the Kieso series including this 13th edition of Intermediate Accounting, which is really Financial Accounting II. These authors have done everything to make the subject progressively more accessible in each edition. I know as I suffered through the courses once too. I have a master's in accounting and am a CPA. It's surprising how many accounting texts assume the student has certain prerequisite skills and knowledge and equally surprising how so many accounting professors want to lecture on what enhances their knowledge base instead of teaching to the student. The Kieso books are really teaching books. I buy used recent editions for myself just for reference since they're so well done and so cheap. Not all CPAs do that but I practice financial accounting.

You'll be lucky if the professor is permissive enough to go with an older series because most students quickly sell these books once the course is over, so used editions are MUCH cheaper. But most professors insist on the most recent edition. I think they're motivated because their authority rests on being up to date. In this 13th edition, there's a big emphasis on International Accounting Standards, and you can be sure the professors want to bone up on this themselves. The financial meltdown has discredited the whole U.S. financial complex, and one result is that the pull is now stronger toward international accounting standards rather than U.S. GAAP. Also, the authors anticipate that everyone wants to use the cheaper previous edition, so they always change the end of chapter problems. The publisher also provides the professors with additional materials including exam materials, so there's always the incentive for the professor to use the latest edition and claim that it's the only acceptable one due to the end of chapter problems.

These are really heavy books - no fun to carry around. The book weighs 6.2 pounds. That's ridiculous. 1,440 pages and you darn well have to know this material. This gives a hint why so many people, despite knowing that good accountants tend to stay employed in a recession, won't even consider this route. But at least the Kieso books, other than their workbooks, are hardcover with large dimensions and quality paper and binding. Nothing is worse than using a thick softcover text that feels like a phone book. Unfortunately they're expensive new, and you might one day be buying the 18th edition used for a fraction of this price.

Note, if you need the WileyPlus access code, it is NOT included with this book. If your professor makes you get the code, you've got to spend even more money. You get this access code at the Wileyplus website. A kind student emailed me that the code now costs $83.50 at the site. Wiley also puts in place separate deals with some but not all college bookstores, although then the prices vary a lot at the college bookstore level. Sometimes, depending on how the professor intends to use the WileyPlus resource, you might just ask the professor and get the code, but those cases are rare.

A word of caution and encouragement: This Intermediate Accounting course along with the first one, Financial Accounting, are the two that were traditionally used to weed out students from becoming accounting majors. You've got to spend a lot more time on this course than you usually would for a typical course. Good luck - I wish you the best!
1414 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2000
This is an excellent book, very well written and comprehensive. However, without an instructor or a complete solutions manual, this book is impossible to use! When are authors and publishers going to learn that a beautifully thoughtout set of exercises is utterly worthless in a quantitative subject like Accounting without the solutions available! I'm presently taking a course from this book, however I would never buy this book for personal use - no answers!
on December 27, 2008
It only covers chapters 1-14 as the other reviews has stated, and is a bit expensive.

However, I got an "A" in my intermediate accounting class, and this guide helped a lot.

It don't replace reading the book, but does give a lot of extra problems and exercises (true/false, and multiple choice) to give more practice and understanding for the test.

I found the solutions to be correct and very few mistakes. When a true/false is false, it gives you the reason why, and on the multiple choice, gives you the reason why the correct choice is correct and why the others are wrong.

The brief review does not begin to cover everything in the chapter, and you will not even be able to complete the exercises/problems with just the chapter review. So, don't feel this will replace the textbook.

If you have the money, I recommend this study guide.
on February 8, 2007
I was skeptical when I bought this but it is worth it. It gives you tips, example problems and shows, you how to break them down step by step. The only shortcoming is that the book does not cover every type of problem in each chapter. It does give you a good hint on at least how to start.
on May 9, 2000
Iam an Asian-Indian,who came to the United States recently.Iam a B.Com graduate and M.B.A specialising in Finance.After years of specialising in Accounting and Finance in the British system,I was totally lost when I came to the US ,when I tried to improve my qualifications to an American C.P.A. I needed to go through and practice problems in the American system of accounting. I was wandering aimlessly and without any help into the websites selling books trying to match the ones that meet my requirements for a CPA exam.Finally I approached a friend at work who was formerly teaching at a local school.She recommended "Self study problems and solutions to accompany Intermediate accounting" by Keiso and Weygandt.
I bought both the volumes of that book,It is a great book for self study. It starts with the very basics of introducing the conceptual framework of accounting and basic chapters like Recivables accounting,Cashflows,inventory accounting,Accounting for assets and current liabilities in its 1st Volume to more complex chapters like retained earnings,accounting for income taxes and for Retirement benefits in the 2nd Volume.
It was of immense help to me not only to brush up my fundamental concepts but also to work out several problems and compare them with the solutions provided and to make myself stong in intermediate accounting. Thanks to Keiso and Wegandt, I can now sit for my exam with confidence. I would highly recommend this book to all intermediate students and to students from other countries such as myself.
on February 25, 2008
There are great examples and problems to help you, but it only covers chapters 1-14. I could not find anywhere where it said it only covered half the book. Still I would say it is worth buying.
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2004
This is NOT an easy book. It would be a complete waste of time for a student who hasn't already taken beginning accounting. It basically goes through the balance sheet and other financial statements line-by-line, as many beginning texts do. BUT, it digs deeper. It's looking for the EXCEPTIONS to the usual, easy-to-learn rules.
It is very comprehensive and the end of chapter questions are extensive. If you can more or less master this book...you're ready for accountancy. If you just can't "get" the material, maybe another career choice is better.
The writing style is hardly "reader friendly" but it isn't too stiff, has lots of examples and charts and tables, and is broken up into many "little" sections. Any instructor / course would be insane to have someone try to get through the material properly in just one semester. It's a 2 semester book, for sure.
on October 19, 2007
I bought this book, and then immediately returned it. Save yourself the money and buy a columnar pad for about $3! Just another money-making gimmick -- as if they don't make enough from the textbooks and study guides!
on November 21, 2003
This book (and the course) is the transitional step in becoming an accountant (or not). I feel compelled to say that this book should be considered as a bible for all accountants. It is tedious, but very rewarding for all who can last the journey through inventories, receivables, etc. Eat, sleep, drink with it, do whatever you can because this book is one of the best published pieces on accounting to date. Don't leave home without it.
on January 6, 2004
This book is difficult for the student to understand. I felt that I had learned nothing in my previous accounting classes. Even though the text seems straightforward in some areas, the chapter problems are difficult - the student needs more knowledge. If it had not been for the Solution Manual, I would have had no idea how to approach the homework problems. Author is presenting information above the student level. It's OK to stretch, but not at the expense of learning. Even our professor strongly suggested that we invest in another author's text in order to understand the material. I ended up dropping the class and taking it again 2 years later. By then, another text was in use.
A relative had the author as an instrtucor in college and told me Kieso was just as obtuse in class and expected students to know more than they should at that level of accounting instruction. Thank goodness there are other, student friendly Intermediate Accounting textbooks. such as the one by Dy Dyckman. Dyckman's book was the best out of the 4 that I purchsed and got me through the 3 Intermediate Accounting classes I have recently completed.