Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 31, 2013
This is the worst written text book I have ever had to purchase for a class and I would strongly encourage any professors out there looking for a text book to explore other options and any students to drop any class that requires this book.

The book is written as endless walls of text and the author writes in a very confusing manner making the book 3 times as long as it needs to be. The author wastes line after line of text yammering on about pointless stuff like how we will be covering more of this topic in chapters 5, 7 and 9 respectively. He also uses extensive citations of the works of others to the point that by the time you get back to the main point you forgot what he was trying to say to begin with. Many of his citations are from the 1960's too which makes the book feel really out of date.

If you need this class to graduate and can't drop it and take one with a different text then I strongly suggest buying the Kindle edition since you can search a kindle book and copy and paste out of it. A great trick for learning with this book is to copy and paste a page into Word and then delete all of the superfluous BS on that page and then read the 3 important sentences that are left.

In case anyone doesn't believe me about this book, please see the half page I have copied and pasted here. The rest of the book is no better. There are 590 pages just like this in this book. Really think about dropping the class that would have you read this. I am on Amazon right now looking for a different PM book so I can actually learn this topic. I learned little from this book because real information was just too diluted and I was halfway through the class before I started editing it in Word for myself.

This chapter initiates our discussions of Time, Quality, and Risk Management, PMBOK
knowledge areas 3, 5, and 8, respectively. Time management is an extensive topic which
is further discussed in Chapters 8, 10, and 11. Similarly, risk will be discussed further in
Chapters 7 and 8, and quality will be discussed again in Chapter 12.
In the Reader's Digest (March 1998, p. 49) Peter Drucker is quoted on planning: "Plans
are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work." To make such a
transformation possible is no easy task. Inadequate planning is a cliché in project management.
Occasionally, articles appear in project management periodicals attesting to the value of good
planning. Project managers pay little attention. PMs say, or are told, that planning "takes too
much time," "customers don't know what they want," "if we commit we will be held accountable," and a number of similar weak excuses (Bigelow, 1998, p. 15). Tom Peters, well-known
seeker of business excellence, was quoted in the Cincinnati Post: "Businesses [believe] a lot of
dumb things. . . . The more time you spend planning, the less time you'll need to spend on implementation. Almost never the case! Ready. Fire. Aim. That's the approach taken by businesses I
most respect." We strongly disagree and, as we will report below (and in Chapter 13), there is a
great deal of research supporting the view that careful planning is solidly associated with project
success--and none, to our knowledge, supporting the opposite position. On the other hand,
sensible planners do not kill the plan with overanalysis. This leads to the well-known "paralysis
by analysis." In an excellent article, Langley (1995) fi nds a path inbetween the two extremes.
Thus far, we have dealt with initiating a project. Now we are ready to begin the process of
planning the work of the project in such a way that it may be translated into the "hard work"
that actually leads to the successful completion of the project. There are several reasons why
we must use considerable care when planning projects. The primary purpose of planning, of
course, is to establish a set of directions in suffi cient detail to tell the project team exactly what
must be done, when it must be done, what resources will be required to produce the deliverables of the project successfully, and when each resource will be needed.
As we noted in Chapter 1, the deliverables (or scope, or specifi cations, or objectives) of
a project are more than mere descriptions of the goods and/or services we promise to deliver
to the client at a quality level that will meet client expectations. The scope of a project also
includes the time and cost required to complete the project to the client's satisfaction. The plan

Meredith, Jack R. (2011-12-01). Project Management: A Managerial Approach, 8th Edition (Page 221). Wiley. Kindle Edition.
55 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2003
This book makes learning Project management difficult. It does not clearly define anything. It is full of endless (and senseless) babble and author's "opinions" very few facts. I fully believe this is a required text because of the website Wiley created and the "bonus" cd of Project 2002. The website makes teaching the class a breeze, it gives the teacher quizzes and tests, therefore, the teacher doesn't have to muddle through the maze of crap to find out information. The quizzes are not general but tipically, "what message did the author's try to convey on page such and such".
This book is not worth it!
on January 15, 2009
Okay so we all know that PM books can be pretty dry and boring, but wow is this text a snoozer. The case studies are excellent, but general concepts are muddled between the author's opinions, babble, and history lessons.

If you are looking for concepts, facts, examples, and down to earth solutions to common problems, then look elsewhere. Wayyyyy too much babble. I wouldn't use this text for the PMP exam. If youre a "get to the point" kinda guy...this text will continually annoy you.

For the academic classroom its okay only, but get ready to explain concepts and shorten the history lesson. Nice Dilbert inserts, MS Project explainations, and earned value analysis though. :)
on April 25, 2008
Leave this book in the academic community. Ignore it in the real world PM office.
This book puts greater emphasis on academic PM babble than it does on real world project management necessities. As such, the book de-emphasises many important points that are necessary to run a project in the real world.
The critical path method in this book suffers from an -off by one- error. Check the PMBOK (2000) for verification.
The authors made many references to the work of others which made the book twice as long as it could have been. No one had time to read any of the references that appeared to be interesting with hope of finding actual usable and valuable information.
There was only passing references of risk, the importance of communication, personalities, and schedule disruption. There was nothing on these subjects that would assist a PM in the real world.
Disappointingly, this book only used 1/3 of a chapter for Earned Value. It put minimal emphasis on EV other than to provide the equations. EV is very important in the PM world.

The chapter on Project Termination was good. - The rest of the book was disappointing.

This book should be used for academic PM introductory purposes only.

Sorry for the disappoint review but I was disappointed.
on February 18, 2014
I have read some bad textbooks in my time, but this one definitely takes the cake. It is dry and very difficult to understand. The information is contradictory and many terms cannot even be googled. I swear they make up stuff that no one else uses. Reading my car manual is more stimulating and I certainly learn a lot more from that.
on July 24, 2015
Run far and fast. This text book makes so many references to other resources you have to wonder if you wouldn't be better off reading them instead of the textbook. They even shamelessly reference other textbooks by the lead author. Every other page has a reference of PMI's PMBOK.

This textbook does an appalling job of explaining every concept it claims to cover. Section 8.2 "Network Techniques: PERT (ADM) and CPM (PDM)" is especially horrible and does the reader a disservice by making it absurdly more complicated then it should be. I ended up having to use YouTube to try to figure it out the concepts.

An example how bad the book is try looking up scope in the book. Reading the 1st chapter you would know it's on pg. 11, but in the Chapter 1 glossary it's not listed. Then looking at book index listing for Scope it directs you to Project, goals and deliverables. So you look up Project notice that there is no goals and deliverables heading, but there are two headings one deliverables and one for goals. I save you the effort its listed under goals. Why is it such a process to find something that is fundamental to understanding the subject matter?

I'm not sure who the authors wrote this book for since most people will find it useless. The authors might have written it for other academics, but they would just use PMI PMBOK instead. Every chapter is disjointed with random articles that do little to reinforce the actual material. Honestly, Wiley should be embarrassed to be associated with this train wreck.

TL;DR If they assign you this book for a class, just drop the class, an then consider changing schools since they don't care if you actually learn anything. Total waste of time.
on October 13, 2003
I bought this book because it was required for a class I am taking. I had the 3rd Edition already and wasn't too impressed. But this 5th Edition is much more appealing. I just became PMP certified and reviewing this book before taking the exam was a great primer to get my head out of pure PMBOK and into real world Project Management. The case studies and Directed Readings are great for seeing real world PM activities. I would suggest the book for guidance and classroom type learning. If you're an experienced PM then this book is too academic and won't feed your intellect. Buy something else.
on July 9, 2015
I had to get this book for school. It was awful, as other reviewers have said. The writing was terrible, the text was not informative, it was hard to reference. Overall, it was a terrible book. As a project management major, I have read quite a few, this ranks as by far the worst. Thankfully I had another project management book from a previous class, as I had to use that one for most of my class. This one was worthless. It read like the author was writing in his journal. Terrible.
on March 20, 2013
At the start of each chapter the authors give you a breif snippet of what they plan on discussing. Then the spend the next couple of pages talking about the references they used to derive their ideas and information.. Which of course they will enlighten you with in a moment. Then you reach the next chapter and realize they never actually told you anything other then a snippet of information followed by pages of needless references.

Get the electronic copy so you can easily search past the references and find the few bits of helpful information scattered throughout the book.
on October 10, 2011
It's so funny as I think back over my project management degree program. Several of my classmates and I went through the classes together and spent a lot of that two years saying things like, "You remember, in Meredith and Mantel, they said ..." This is one of the text books I think we all kept for our professional libraries.

Great overviews and then getting down to the nitty gritty of project management. Even if you aren't using this for a course, I would think this would be a good reference for any project managers. I couldn't possibly sell this book because it's too full of notes and highlights. I refer to it again and again.