Handbook of Equine Parasite Control
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$65.84 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 29, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I am a horse owner with no formal veterinary education, but this book is well written and was easy for me to understand. Well worth the price and I'm sure will save me more money than I paid for it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 30, 2014
Format: Paperback
I am a veterinarian with some experience in writing about horse parasites and their control. I gave this book a 5 star rating because it is a good review for horse owners and veterinarians alike of the principles of parasite control. There are sections on equine parasite biology, lifecycle, pathology, and factors affecting parasite transmission. There are 20 case histories (clinical assessment, laboratory findings, and treatment) with questions to evaluate if you really understood the most important points and references back to prior chapters in case you need to review those points. The practical information in this book is very helpful and includes recipes for flotation media, descriptions of the McMaster egg-count and the modified Wisconsin sugar floatation test, an egg-counting method for detecting tapeworms, the Baermann technique, larval culture information, and scotch tape detection of Oxyuris equi. The only improvement I would recommend is a page for abbreviations, which would have been helpful for the novice; most veterinarians will already be familiar with the abbreviations, though.

The text is highly technical, but there are images of parasites, bits of trivia, and occasional light-hearted comments to keep things interesting for the reader. As an example, a successful host-parasite relationship is described thusly, “the host provides shelter and sustenance so a resident population of worms can reproduce, and the tenants refrain from destroying their domicile. Vandalism is optional.” Yes, that is a parasitologist making a bit of a joke. Good stuff for those of us who are into parasites! I see from another Amazon review that a horse owner with no formal education found the book easy to understand. That is really quite a feat, to get things correct technically and to not write over the head of the general public. All in all, it is quite an enjoyable text. I recommend it for horse owners, veterinarians, students, and equine pharmaceutical professionals.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again