Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on July 25, 2000
I have been searching for a book like this off and on for years, but just recently came accross it. What a great collection of essays and interviews from the artists! I am a teacher/artist myself, not a researcher, and it is so wonderful to have all this information at my finger tips. I hope the editors do more work like this. If you are interested in finding out about what a contemporary artist was thinking, check this book first!
on December 4, 1998
I have used this text with grad. students and with advanced-level undergraduate art majors. In an era dominated by some pretty thick-headed critical writing, I value the relatively jargon-free essays by a good variety of contemporary artists. More photos, even B/W ones, would be a help however.
on November 17, 2004
I've purchased this book while beeing in New York in 2003, and my first impression was that I had aquired an excellent and almost encyclopedical resourse for research. However, when looking for references on familiar contemporary artists like Brazilian Lygia Clark (one of the most important and internationally renowed creators, having teached in Sorbonne, among other things) I've found her name misquoted as "Lydia Clark" while she's reffered as "Argentinian" in the index. The fact that I've found such a mistake concerning a familiar name raises doubts on the rigor of this interesting work.

Sérgio Basbaum (teacher at Universidade Cátólica, São Paulo, Brazil)
on August 10, 1999
and not only can I not live without it, but I can feel comfortable recommending it to anyone interested in art (especially contemporary art). it is the kind of book I dream about. I want more like it. there are certain genres left out and some of the groupings are too tight, and some too loose, but the fact that the artists are the ones giving the information means that I can research them more accurately, instead of researching other peoples research. A wonderful compilation of essays and interviews.
on November 5, 2008
Although the list of artists is impressive, the entries by each are often so short that no coherent thought surfaces. It takes a very skilled interviewer or fantastic didactic vision on the part of the artist to arrive at a genuinely insightful piece of writing, like "On Art" by Rodin [excellent]. Also fairly good are David Sylvester's interviews of Bacon and others.

Many of the entries in this book are meant to actually BE THE ART. Such writings can be interesting, but often fail, falling into a category of minimalist authorship. I found this book did not aid my search for profundity and revelation with regard to the artistic process.
on September 12, 2014
I needed this book towards my research to finish my MFA thesis. There are some great quotes from well-known contemporary artists and critics that I used in the paper, and can see using in the future. And, at the price that I bought it at, I thought it was a steal!
on September 27, 2012
I love reading artists own words, sometimes brilliant, sometimes bullsh*t. I find it inspirational because through all these writings you can see the human struggle to create something valid happening over and over.
I never did read it like a book, though. I have read the whole thing, but more like a giant magazine. I started with my favorite artists, reading what they had to say, then moved on to obscure-to-me artists. Working this way, I did re-read a lot of essays, forgetting I had already read them until I was a page or two in to that one. In any case, I am so happy to have this book.
on February 21, 2012
This text is an excellent source of literary material that allows insight of the philosophies and worldviews of renown artists. I am very pleased with the text and plan to keep it in my library as a resource and insightful reading.
on January 23, 2009
This book is a good example of where "more would be less." The book is quite long but the quoted material for each artist is well selected and woven into a bigger picture. I have found it interesting to read what many different artists considered important at approximately the same time. If as some have mentioned here the editors had included more material for each individual artists this bigger picture could easily be lost. This book has become an important part of my art library as is.
on August 25, 2007
briefly - this is a great basic anthology if you want artist manifestos and excerpts from period art critics. my only complaint about this anthology is that it really doesn't have many of the writings/interivews that are well known from sources like artforum (e.g. smithson's yucatan mirror article) or partisan review (rauschenberg interview). but one can't have all things in one place - that said this is a great place to start.