Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Prescriber's Guide (Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon January 2, 2013
I am a primary care NP. I encounter patients who are already on a lot of psych meds and I also prescribe meds for depression, anxiety, etc. I have found this book to be absolutely essential. It covers each drug individually, and covers dosing, side effects, interactions, special populations, etc. in a complete yet concise manner. I recently had a patient who wanted to stop taking Cymbalta, which had been prescribed for fibromyalgia. I needed to quickly know approximately how long a taper I needed to design for her, and the information was in this book, as opposed to the ambiguous language of the manufacturer's prescribing guide.

There is one problem for me, though. I immediately realized that this is a book I want in my office *and* at home. I want it at home -- either in print or digital form -- for those times when I am on call and say, a patient calls on a Saturday with complaints of side effects of one of these medications. Or maybe they want to stop the drug, like my patient on Cymbalta. But when I went to the online website (sorry, Amazon probably won't let me link to it), the publisher wants $195/year for a subscription to Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology online. While Essential Pharmacology consists of more than just the Prescriber's Guide, I don't really need that. I just want to buy this book. There is no Kindle version of this book, and there is no smartphone app. So I am left to decide whether I want to buy another print version or maybe buy a cheaper print version of an earlier edition. The $195 online access is just way too expensive. The publisher needs to get with the times and offer reasonably-priced digital/online/app versions of this book.
on July 13, 2011
Stahl's book is extremely useful, very helpful for the actual work of deciding which Rx to use, how to use it, and what to be cafeful about. The only drawback to this otherwise really excellent manual, is that the author does not include the anti-parkinsonian drugs that we sometimes use to treat EPS side effects.
on May 24, 2013
I have the 2 previous editions and still rely on it for selecting a psych med. I place my chair next to the patient and have her look over my shoulder as I show them the likelihood of sedation or wt. gain or other side effects.
on February 10, 2014
This book has what you need from uses to tests and what to do if side effects pop up. Both of my preceptors have this and use it in appointments all the time. Glad they shared theirs so I could see how easy to read and well designed it is!
on June 5, 2014
I own a lot of med reference books. I used one of these from Stahl when I was working at the psych hospital near my home, and also in the outpatient psych clinic and in private practice psychiatry. (I have several others by him, too - in addition to med books from other sources.)

I recently embarked on my first locums assignment. I arrived and then realized I did not have ANY of my med reference books with me. It was really easy to decide which one to order - THIS ONE !

Great for experienced and new psychiatric prescribers alike. If you are going to have one book with you, this should be the one.
on October 26, 2014
I use this reference frequently. It has assisted me in many choices of drug therapy for clients. I especially like the augmenting combos, how to start and stop, effects on renal, liver, elderly and children highlights. Only drawback is generally there are no laboratory recommendations ( states"none" if healthy.) Hopefully that will change with the next edition and emphasis on EKG ( QTc) monitoring among other areas.
on October 5, 2014
I am PA that works in Psych and wound care. I use this every time I'm in Psych clinic. It gives all the relevant information you need--like when you would give the drug, what combinations to use, side effects...how to monitor and what labs to order. It also gives dosage to start out and maximum dosage...special populations such as renal or liver patients...really good book and a nice quick reference.
on October 12, 2015
Must have for psychiatric prescribers just starting out, who want to understand how medications impact neurotransmitters. The book is organized and has many gems of info as well as standard info about dosing, side effects, monitoring, adverse effects etc.
on May 17, 2014
I love this book! It is color-coded and easy to read. I love to pull this out when I'm with a patient and show them. Especially the "what to do about side effects: - wait, - wait, -wait!!!" If the book says it, it gives them extra confidence that their side effects (usually SSRIs) will be going away soon... and if not, we'll switch to a plan B (or C).
on May 28, 2013
I love this reference. It is very easy to understand. It is brilliantly illustrated and extremely focused for clinical practice