Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Modeling the Dynamics of Life: Calculus and Probability for Life Scientists (with iLrn(TM) Testing) (Available Titles CengageNOW)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 7, 2000
I bought this book as a "do it yourself" introduction to mathematics (for a biologist). It is quite rare to find a textbook as easy and enjoyable to follow as Frederick Adler's book. The text starts with very little assumed knowledge of mathematics and works through the basics of calculus using interesting examples taken from biology. The exercises at the end of each chapter are straightforward and easy to follow (my only complaint about the book is that they only provide solutions to every second question, so working alone it is hard to check your results). It is rare to find a text (especially in maths) that you can truly work through on your own. I recommend it for any Biologist wishing an intorduction to or to expand the knowledge of the growing field of Mathematical Biology.
on January 24, 2013
This book attempts to teach precalculus, calculus, and dynamical systems all at once. I am using it as an introductory dynamical systems textbook, and so far it is serving that purpose admirably. I would not want to have to use it as a calculus textbook too -- trying to bundle all that into one course seems excessive, and there are probably better books for learning calculus.
on February 19, 2012
This book offers a new course in mathematics in which they try to infuse biology and calculus together. The class I'm taking this deals with biological models and prepares you to solve them using calculus. It's a good idea, however the examples and descriptions are vague in a way; it's not very easy to understand. But all in all, I suppose this is a good book and the only downfall for me, is that the examples given could use a little more clarification.
on March 21, 2010
I am reading this book on my own and have found it to be very helpful. I really like how it begins with a discussion of time dynamical systems. I think that concept is a helpful precursor to the continuous models of biological systems using calculus. This book has been very helpful for my graduate courses in biology. My only complaint is that the book is full of typos, not just a few, like all over the place. This book really needs some proof reading.
on November 13, 2011
Bought this for my calculus for biology students class. the class itself is fine, but this book is beyond worthless. I've tried to use it for studying, but the examples and explanations are from planet mars. Nothing in this book makes sense. Even my teacher thinks it's a bad book, she always has to explain why it's solving problems in such a weird way. If you can get a different math book, then please try!
on November 22, 2014
good
on September 13, 2006
I've been in math for a while now, and am used to good books that teach well... I've taken, sequentially, pre-algebra, intermediate algebra, college algebra, trigonometry, and Calculus I, all in college.

This book is beyond a hard read. Our teacher is not a biologist, but is a mathemitician. I was wondering about chapter 1... its extremely hard and just throws around equations as if you understand them without explaining them. BOO. I had never heard of Discrete Time Dynamical Systems before. I asked my teacher if he even did it... he said, 'Well, yes, in Linear Algebra, after the Calculus 1,2 and 3 series". Agh! He then said we cover in this one semester, what he did in 3 with this book for math, though not as in depth of course. >:(

If you're a pre-medical/dental/vet student, and you have the option to take regular calculus instead, then take it instead! I spend more time on this class than on microbiology or organic chemistry, both of which I'm taking and acing.

Lastly, besides the poor writing, this book is FULL of typos. It make the subject even harder, because the chapters don't cover all the concepts that are in the homework problems... so if there's an examble problem with a wrong answer, which there frequently is, then you'll get screwed up! I'm embarassed for the publisher... they've written so many other better math texts.

F-. Poorly written, a difficult read, spelling errors , and typos in the answers!