Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Drawing: A Contemporary Approach (with InfoTrac)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 29, 2001
There are many great books about drawing in print. This book has some of the greatest elements of them all. It includes no-nonsense instruction for drawing exercises that really help people learn to draw well. It includes a lot of examples of student work and work by masters. It has a special focus on the work of contemporary artists, and I think this is one of the things I find most compelling about the book. The appendices are very helpful, especially the one about keeping a sketchbook. A wide range of approaches and media are discussed.
I used this lovely book as a text for a college-level beginning drawing course when it first came out about 20 years ago. I used it through the second edition of the text, and then switched to another book. After using two different texts and then no text for a while, I am returning to the Betti/Sale text. ...
on September 26, 2009
This book is wholly overrated here. I own this book and have been forced to use it at a large higher education institution. I have taught at the college level for 12 years teaching drawing at all levels at several different schools. This book is a mediocre example of a drawing text book. The focus in this book is on rote exercise and traditional technical drawing knowledge. There are only a couple chapters where the authors make any attempt at understanding drawing's broader explorations and contemporary manifestations. There is nothing new or insightful here, the assignments are old stand-bys and traditional or beginner in nature. It is a decent book for a beginner but surely nothing extraordinary. If you want a book that gives practical, innovative, inspired and multifaceted (both creative and technical)lessons and projects in contemporary drawing you should look to book like "100 Creative Drawing Ideas" by Audette. This sort book offers really interesting takes on some extraordinary drawing projects from professors around the country. This books is practical in that the whole book is organized in theme; both contemporary, creative and at times more technical in nature. But all the projects shown in Audette's book have real depth and multi-layered lessons in drawing. The "Drawing: A Contemporary Approach" by Sale, Betti, has not a single project to compare. The title is completely misleading, this a traditional drawing "textbook" not by any measure a great book on contemporary approaches to drawing, not at all.
on June 20, 2014
This was the text for my Drawing class. was required. There are some very helpful sections. but overall I don't think a spectrum of various types of art, and would not recommend it as a first choice, unless you have to get it.
on March 3, 2009
Claudia Betti was a one of kind and truly a classy lady. She had a unique understanding of an artist's perspective which she shared with me from time to time. FYI, she passed away recently. Please enjoy her wisdom and her art for many years to come.
---------------------------------
Claudia Webb Betti Benson, age 84, of Denton, passed away peacefully Saturday, February 14, 2009, at her residence. She passed away exactly as she intended at home and surrounded by family and friends.

Claudia was born November 2, 1924 in Dallas, Texas to Thomas Ross and Vada Hart Webb.

She went on to graduate from of the Art Institute of Chicago and to serve as Emeritus Professor of Art at the University of North Texas. She continued to show paintings and drawings locally and regionally into retirement and was co-author of Drawing: A Contemporary Approach.
on January 15, 2007
Well written and containing up to date developments in this field. Illustrations are of a good quality. Altogether a valuable text for the teacher as well as the practitioner.
on October 9, 2014
I had to buy this for class. When I did, I thought "Ugh, an art textbook." Thought it was going to be another one we never opened and I wasted money on.

Surprise! I actually really, really like this book. It's great for an introduction to drawing (my boyfriend doesn't know it yet, but he's going to be reading it soon so he can quit asking me drawing questions!). It also has tons of great examples when I need to be inspired for class.
on May 29, 2009
In my search for creative drawing I looked in the wrong places. This book has a number of techniques which sparked my creativity. There are many exercises in form, value, line, and other subjects with examples on how to use the techniques. Lots of examples. It also has pushed me to draw a lot more now that I have a new repertoire. I believe that variety is something that I needed.
on October 16, 2014
I bought this for a "Beginning Drawing" class I am taking at my local community college. That being the case, I guess I expected more instruction and how-to in this book, and am disappointed in its lack thereof.

However, as others have stated, the book does include good examples to inspire readers, and interesting exercises.

I would categorize this as more of an art (not just drawing -- there are lengthy sections on assemblages/collages, for example) appreciation book, rather than as a (beginning) drawing instruction book.
on May 15, 2016
This is more of an academic textbook on drawing. It is quite through and covers many basic drawing techniques and gives a variety of studio exercises. Would be best understood by someone who has a basic intro to drawing already, if they want to work on their own without an instructor. Some of the exercises are fairly complex and require various media.
on November 29, 1998
As an educator I use theis book all the time. It's approch towards drawing is excellent to the classroom and for the artist. I tell everyone to make sure they have a copy on the shelf.