Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Database Systems: Design, Implementation, and Management (with Premium Web Site Printed Access Card) (Management Information Systems)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 11, 2011
This book was required as the main text for an into to SQL course. Far too many pages to describe basic concepts. "Angry fruit salad" because of the gratuitous use of color and boxes that contribute little to the meaning of the content. Too much filler. Worthless as a desk reference, so traded back to Amazon.

Aside - too many texts nowadays are printed on these glossy pages which makes reading difficult in less than ideal conditions.
on November 2, 2011
I seriously wanted to shoot the writers of this book every time I opened it. From what I learned in class, the concepts this book attempts to teach are fairly simple but somehow this book makes every concept seem extremely difficult and confusing. Most of the book is filler. There are too many pointless, repetitive analogies and filler phrases. Often the book would explain something in a very convoluted way and then immediately follow with the phrase "Or more simply put" and then explain the concept in a clear and direct manner. I hated this book which led me to hate my class. If you are an instructor, I'd advise you to stay away from this book unless you want your students to be extremely frustrated.
on June 30, 2011
I had to purchase this textbook for a college class on database development. We covered about 7 chapters of the book in this class and I feel if we had used a different book I would have had a much better experience in the class. The book is a very dry read and not engaging in the slightest. It can be compared to sitting in a large lecture hall with no air conditioning listening to a monotone professor drone on for a hour. Quite a few times I fell asleep while attempting to read a chapter. I think the author(s) should work on their conversational tone and read up on the learning process to revamp how they deliver their material so it is more engaging and easier to learn and comprehend. Overall, I would not recommend this book and I would encourage teachers to not use this book. Unfortunately I have to use this book again for my next class - database implementation. Urgh!
on March 7, 2011
This is NOT a text to learn SQL, PHP, or any particular database system. If you want a good text on design and standards, then this does do an excellent job of defining these.

Just finished up a class with this book and I am less than thrilled to have used this text. Having prior knowledge of many of the topics covered in this book, I felt as though this book was not designed with practicality in mind. Too many examples refer to database systems in a very generalized manner. I can understand why they would do this from a standpoint of trying to cover as many bases as possible, but the content loses direction by trying to make everybody happy.

If this were touted as just a design/standardization text, then it could have cut out about 4-5 chapters worth of unguided rhetoric and been an excellent piece on its own. What I mean by this, is that instead of taking a stand on say an Oracle system and providing good solid examples that can be explored and fished out throughly, it wastes time by pointing out dozens of minor differences between database systems leaving the student with little to go on. Database systems aren't that much different that they couldn't have just picked one and ran with it knowing that the student would be perfectly fine in the long run.

Also, the website content of this book should NOT be something one should have to pay extra for. In this book's case, there is maybe an extra chapter or so worth of text and some standard multiple choice quizs that just pull random terms out of the book with no real emphasis on importance.
on June 29, 2013
Sorry for the pun in the title, but this will be a boring and straight forward review. This text-book is an excellent resource for students and professionals alike. There are many examples, clear instructions, and helpful online content. It is NOT perfect, but if you want to learn SQL for and DBMS, then here is your tool!
on April 12, 2012
This was the required text for a 6 week college course I took on SQL. We are just wrapping up with the class this week, and I have to say this book is awful. 650+ pages of SQL, and this is my first experience with SQL and I wasn't too fond of it. The professor insists this is a great book, but of the 650+ pages inside this thing could have been easily condensed to 300 or less. My favorite line in this book is "in other words", well how about instead of always saying that after you explain concepts with fancy words and convoluted language you just get to the point. If I had a dollar for each time the authors said "in other words" I'd be a billionaire. It's like they want to show off their mastery of SQL and the English language at the same time.

For this reason I will be buying a more highly rated SQL book from Amazon and continue to work on my SQL knowledge so I feel like I know what I'm doing. There are many topics that I didn't feel a mastery of because of this book like sub queries, triggers, procedures, and many more. I also didn't like the fact that this wasn't focused on just Oracle, we were using Oracle, but there are plenty of references to other systems like MS Access etc. etc. and this creates wasted time when were supposed to be working with Oracle.

Stay away from any class using this book as it's source of material.
on March 26, 2013
When I first started reading this book, I got the distinct feeling that the writers had to meet a quota for the book's length, size, and weight. The font size is extremely small, and the amount of type on the pages seems designed to make the book seem more "dense" with information than it really is. The concepts of database design, I've been told, are very simple, but the book explains them in such a way that makes them seem very complicated... and which, frankly, makes me feel inferior. The coverage of SQL is particularly awful: the authors tried to cram the entire programming language into 2 chapters, and it just reads like one long list, one thing after another. The authors don't respect the reader's intelligence by building on concepts using logic; they just demand that you memorize everything that they say. I find it very difficult to read, and I'm already a programmer! I can't even imagine what it must be like for someone who has never programmed before in his or her life. If you're enrolled in a course that requires this book, I suggest you drop the class and find a different teacher who uses a different book. If you can't do that, then just drop the course altogether, and hope that the school is using a different book in the next semester.
on December 31, 2013
As someone with little database background except knowing basic SQL queries I was excited to utilize this book along with a master's level college course I was taking. It covered almost exactly what I wanted to learn and helped explain many important topics that any IT professional could follow.

Easy to follow, easy to read, and easy to apply.
on January 8, 2013
However, I bought a NEW textbook because it was only a few dollars more than the used book...but I definitely received a USED book in the mail.
The used book was still nice and I needed it for class but they should know better!
on April 15, 2014
Its required reading for my Database Class. Ok book covers the theorys well enough but doesn't really go over SQL programming and that kind of thing. Not that it really matters, because you're not going to get this kind of overpriced book unless your being forced to by a class...