Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 23, 2015
I had to get this book for my Western Civ II class. The main thing that I like about it was how it was laid out and how it was easy to read and understand. Out of the few different textbooks used in that class, this was probably the best one.
on June 18, 2013
I had to buy this book for my Western Civilization II class. It is a standard history textbook style. I like the maps, and it is rich with content. However, the book fails to mention some parts of history and has obvious bias.
on March 20, 2015
I have spent the past several decades studying history, and as such I own a lot of books about various historical subjects. However, my primary area of interest is Western Civilization, and as such I have read the eighth edition of "Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics, and Society," and I purchased the ninth edition several years ago. I was impressed by the ninth edition; I have read it often, and I have frequently used it as a reference. However, after having purchased the tenth edition, I am no longer impressed.

While I realize that history marches on and history books which cover modern subjects need to be kept up-to-date, this tenth edition seems more like a "money grab" by the authors. By comparing the ninth and tenth editions, it is clear that the authors simply added additional verbiage to several of the passages, which was often unnecessary, and that would lead me to believe that the authors were attempting to artificially increase the apparent number of changes in this edition in order to pseudo-justify the need for academic institutions to ditch their existing editions in favor of this new edition.

What's more, the tenth edition was very poorly edited. A large number of passages throughout the book are written quite poorly; a first-year college student could easily have re-written many of those passages with greater clarity. As a result, this edition reads like it was rushed to market.

On a side note, after having used the two books in this series for several years in various editions, I have grown increasingly dissatisfied with the book's maps. Since the books have only a few colors to use when publishing maps, the author's usually employ geometric patterns rather than colors to differentiate geographic regions on the maps. As a result, readers are forced to spend a great deal of time trying to discern which pattern goes with which feature, rather than the publisher spending a few extra dollars to make the maps more legible.

In summary, the tenth edition was a major disappointment; I will be returning my copy. But regardless of my choice to return my copy, the overall quality of the tenth edition is so poor that it in no way justifies its exceedingly-steep price tag.
on June 24, 2015
I ordered this book for my summer school History course. It's an excellent book and the seller delivered it in a timely manner, however, the book smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, which is slightly embarrassing when you're flipping through the pages during class...I still can't get the scent out of my book...
on December 18, 2012
I used the book in college and I enjoyed reading it. I had to do outlines and summaries for a couple of chapters, and the way the book is written it made that hard but do able. :)
on March 9, 2013
My son used it for this class and he was satisfied with the book - he would recommend it to other students!
on October 3, 2015
Everything is in one piece. That's all that matters.
on November 25, 2014
Great condition, perfect timing and loved it!
on September 23, 2015
Better condition then expected!
on October 4, 2014
Looked like a brand new book