Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2012
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 31, 2012
I'm a big fan of this series, but this year's edition was a bit of a let down. Although the non-fiction articles were consistently good (with Jon Ronson's article on "Phoenix Jones" being the highlight), the other elements of the book were rather uneven.

While the 'Best American Front Section' which starts this series is normally entertaining, this year's was boring as it was dominated by material related to the occupy movement; I enjoyed the weird excerpts from the minutes of the General Assembly of Occupy Wall Street though. Some of the short stories were entertaining (particularly Judy Budnitz's 'Tin Man'), but most were over-written and failed to ring true ('The Street of the House of the Sun' by Michael Poore was particularly bad). The graphic short story on "Hortisculpture" was lengthy and dull, and I gave up on it half way though.

All up, while the high standard of the non-fiction articles and some of the short stories make this a worthwhile purchase, it hasn't maintained the excellent standard set by previous editions.
on March 11, 2013
Compared to past editions, this one is a mixed bag. The inclusions this year are just not that entertaining. I have to wonder if my interests have changed or did the editorial selecting group change? I don’t know. The past renditions were 4-5 star. This one gets 3.
on March 6, 2013
I could not read the comic strips as I have an old Kindle reader and didn't want to go through the numerous steps to change the print size. Besides that, the most of the stories were interesting and varied. I'm not much of a short story reader but I enjoyed this.
on September 23, 2014
the best? pretty sad if this is the best. The Phoenix Jones short is a good read but the rest is fairly basic stuff you could find on your average blog. Also as many classrooms require this series, the name becomes a little ironic.
on November 24, 2012
What a wonderful, diverse collection of stories and snips. Really worth a read. The only issue I had was that the illustrative works and comics really could not be read on the kindle. The font was too small
on March 17, 2013
Poor selections, poorly written. If this is the best American non-required reading, the country is in more danger than I thought. On a trip to New Zealand, this could not hold my attention for any length of time; the works on Occupy Wall Street were absolutely awful. The price was cheap so nothing really lost except for my time which could have been used to read more engaging and enlightening material.
on June 17, 2015
This book has wonderful pieces of literature and I received it in new condition. It meets the requirements for a satisfying purchase and I hope others see this review and take it upon themselves to check it out. I had to purchase this for class and it has many works by different authors, magazines, journals, etc... and covers a variety of issues and topics. Thumbs up to the classes responsible for this wonderful book!
on February 10, 2013
I've read every edition of this series. At first, they showed the great promise for a clever idea - get well-crafted, witty writing that many people simply missed out on into their hands in one convenient volume. The last three years, however, I've had to force myself to read it. Last year's was bad; this year's was abysmal. Louise Erdrich!? Please. I agree with other reviewers that the Occupy front piece showed a serious lack of editorial control. Simply put, don't bother. I know I never will again.
on February 24, 2013
Sometimes I find that words are inadequate to describe a feeling. This is one of the most incredible books I have ever read! Short pieces, all extraordinarily well written, painful, joyful - an incredible opening to the joys and pain of life. It's the kind of book that I think everyone should read.
on March 29, 2013
Not that interesting. Like reading old news.The stories may have been more relevant when they were first written.I lost interest pretty quickly.