Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kaufman Field Guide to Nature of New England (Kaufman Field Guides)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

93%
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 28, 2012
I had occasion to measure this book's effectiveness on a two-week visit to Grand Manan, New Brunswick, in September -- not, strictly speaking, New England, but close enough. That trip focused on the birds of that wonderful island, but our group was interested in everything that flew, swam, waddled, or grew. I was greatly impressed by how many organisms this book let me pin down with confidence. I've added the Kaufman Guide to Nature of New England to the fiercely selective list of references I recommend that participants pack on my tours, and will have it in my pocket myself on my next trip to New England.
on November 29, 2012
Excellent book for anyone who enjoys nature in New England. It covers everything from stars to frogs to birds to plants. Great book to keep in the car for those quick walks. You'll want a more in-depth book for your main area of interest, but this book is great for a beginner naturalist. Bought it for my daughter but may pick up another copy for myself. Sharp illustrations, nice size for a backpack.
on August 7, 2015
Great book- I purchased because I can't find my New England field guide by the Audubon Society, but I don't want to have duplicates if/when that one turns up. I like the Kaufman guide even better. Same size, weight, general layout, but the pics are clearer, less contrast-y than the Audubon guide, thus easier to view. Has a wide variety, also covers common invasive species and incidentals. Keep it in my car at all times for camping, road trips, general "what the heck is that" moments.
on June 15, 2015
Ok, this guide is a must if you live in New England and have any interest in nature. I love, love, love this book and I bought it used. This should, in fact, be your first guide. Pack it in your backpack or car for quick reference or keep it on the porch or wherever you tend to have questions about your yard. Truly, this book will now be a gift I give to parents/guardians who are choosing to explore the outdoors with kids while they homeschool or prepare for summer. It also would be a perfect gift for someone who just bought a camp or cottage or will be camping, hiking, fishing or heading to a summer camp.

This guide is not filled with extreme details. It's the opposite. The Kaufman's give you just enough to launch you on your own discovery about ANY aspect of nature in New England. This doesn't mean they don't help you identify what you've found, but if they don't help exactly, they narrow your focus. My children(5 and 8) and I who homeschool in southern Maine have already used it at the ocean, in our back yard for birding, salamander and insect queries, while hiking discovering the differences between common ferns and wildflowers. I've also used it in my garden, identifying potential insect concerns. The fact it also includes basic information about geology and astrology has me wanting one for home and our backpacks. The Kaufman's inspire you to explore.

Details that save you time in identification are the color tabs at the top corner and side of each page. The ones on the side move top to bottom with the bottom color tab being at the back of the book. Once you familiarize yourself with the colors, you will know in seconds where to open the book and spot the bird who is just about to fly away.

One factor to consider is whether you prefer illustrations or photos for identification. Up to now, I have solely used Peterson's bird guides and Marilyn Dwelley's wildflower and tree guides as they provide such detail in their hand illustrations. The photos have attracted my children more. So, this may be something to consider in gift giving.

Hope this helps!
on November 20, 2012
This is a wonderful guide for nature lovers who wish to learn more about the plants and animals in their surroundings. After seeing my copy my adult daughter requested that I get her one. I'll buy another for my niece who has two young children. I wish that the guide came in a larger, coffee table size which would make it more enjoyable to read with another person. The pictures are fantastic. I highly recommend this guide.

Cathy H., Rhode Island
on January 22, 2013
Received my Field Guide as a gift from a friend, and was very impressed with the amount of info it contained regarding New England. I have put it in our RV so it will be handy when we once again go camping in the spring. I later ordered the one from Amazon for friends of ours to have in their car as they travel throughout New England.
on September 12, 2013
This book does not go into excruciating detail about any one topic be it plant, animal or environment BUT it does touch on almost every topic in my area of the country.
I reviewed it at my local library and decided it was a "must have" for my personal reference collection.
on December 18, 2015
This is a phenomenal book with an outstanding design! I have found it to be extremely useful and is one of the first books I usually reference in the field. If you want to quickly identify what it is you're looking at, look no further!
on September 14, 2013
This book uses photographs which I find much more helpful than drawings! Some of the pictures are small, and sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for in it. It's nice as a secondary source for confirmation of identification.
on August 16, 2014
If you are going to own one book, this is it with remarkably good coverage of all that I go looking for and I own at least a dozen other books. This one is always with me.