Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 30, 2007
Most of the answers in the back and in the solution manual are incorrect. I've contacted the publisher about this problem and they just said that they would take note. They really should issue a free booklet of corrected answers. And the fact that students pay extra for the solution manual with incorrect answers is terrible. The explanations in the text are actually good - but it's useless to try working the problems if you can't check your answers! This text was a waste of money and most professors are switching back to Chang's Gen. Chem. text.
on May 20, 2011
If this book is required for you college general chemistry class, then I suggest you get something like "chemistry for dummies" or "schaums outline for college chemistry" ....Ill tell you why..

This book was my college general chem book (101-102). It was required and used by my teachers. First let my say, I can read all my other textbooks, biology, math, psychology, and I was able to grasp the material. I am a very good reader. This book however was the absolute worse at EVERY ASPECT.

The material is explained in a way to make you feel dumb. If this is your first go around in general chemistry, you will have the worst time, unless you have a VERY good professor. DO NOT READ this book until you have read "chemistry for dummies" or "idiots guide to chemistry" ... You will grasp the information much better if you read these first.

TO THE AUTHORS OF THIS BOOK: Please take a lesson from pearson. Their authors implement critical thinking and detailed explanations. You guys, however, implement critical thinking WITHOUT accurate explanation, I don't know how this book got past the reviewers (if you even had any)...
on June 2, 2008
I wish I had the time to write all of the errors & problems I see with this text so far, but at this writing I'm only in chapter two & have to study twice as hard because so many of the "explanations" don't explaing anything at all! I have to search online or use Cliffs Study Solver.

For instance, when the text is attempting to explain balancing chemical equations (pg. 59) the give an example of an equation of the reactants, the equation of the resulting product, but they do not even touch on the way you need to think to see the math, a little further down they try to explain it, but I see consistantly that information needed right after a new concept is presesnted is either insufficient or is presented later, after more confusing info is thrown at you before the authors completley convey a concept.

I have also found errors, such as pg. 29, problem 1.29, We are asked to list the pure substances present in ice, liquid water and it's vapor. Well I didn't need chemistry to know the answer was water, but we are left complelety befuddeled with the texts inclusion of bromine!!

This is a hard subject, but with a clear text you could grasp all concepts. This text is ridiculously inept at clear explanations.
on July 14, 2012
Like too many college textbooks, Essentials of General Chemistry appears to be created with complete disregard for its audience (it's the students, stupid). If you're new to chemistry and have to use this book on the path to your major, you're going to need outside help. After working my way through the first three chapters, I can't help but get angry. Consider for example, this question from the first chapter:

Which of the following items have a mass of about 1g? (multiple choice)

You're supposed to say "paper clip". Unfortunately, there's nothing in the chapter to give you any intuition at all. And exactly how big is this paper clip? Are *all* paper clips 1g? Wouldn't it make more sense to give a clear explanation of the idea behind mass and provide the student with a concrete means of actually measuring it?

Books like this crush natural curiosity and encourage a sense of defeat. I am convinced they are one of the primary reasons why students throw in the towel early on in the sciences. If you're near that point, take heart. It's not your fault. Chemistry can be *very* interesting and fun when it's presented the right way. Here are two positive, free alternatives I've enjoyed:

CK-12 Chemistry

[...]
on November 27, 2011
I have just completed my first semester of college chemistry using this text book with a A. I have been out of school for over fifteen years and I never took chemistry in high school. My professor depended on us reading the text book before class. In class lectures our professor just covered the main points and made sure we knew how to work the equations. I have found no errors within the text. My text is the second edition printed in 2006.

The text is heavily illustrated with clear sections. Each of the key concepts is printed in bold with a definition following in italics. Colored boxes high light essential information and equations. There are tan boxes in which the authors work out problems involving the key concepts step by step. The text is full of interesting interludes that both broaden and deepen your understanding. All of the answers to the odd problems are given in the back of the text book for each chapter.

Make no mistake, this text book will not spoon feed you general chemistry. But if you are willing to apply yourself and really contemplate what you are being taught, then this text book reveals itself to be quite adequate in understanding general chemistry. I will be using this same text book for the second semester, general chemistry II and I feel confident that this text will give me what I need to clearly understand the material.

I recommend this text book for all first year general chemistry classes.
on September 13, 2013
I ordered this book for my general chemistry 1 class and it's in great conditions and it delivered before so it's a win/win situation! and the price is reasonable for renting. Really happy :)
on June 11, 2015
Good instructional book
on October 4, 2015
Good
on December 3, 2009
received book two weeks ahead of schedule. Book was in perfect condition as promised. Thanks!!