Format: Paperback
"The Liver Cleansing Diet" is a common sense approach to excellent health. It follows the basics like eliminating processed foods, alcohol, sugar, and saturated fats in meats and cheeses. It advocates 40% fresh vegetables, fruit, fish, whole grains, free range chickens ( avoiding hormones) lots of fiber and plenty of water.

It's hard to imagine anyone fearing this diet, it's the healthiest thing you can do.

I have been on it for two weeks, a step I took to lower my cholesterol. I chose it as an alternative to reducing drugs and although I am not there yet, my numbers are down by close to 40 points. It focuses on curing what ails you by making you healthier.

I especially love the primer on liver function and the importance of keeping this organ healthy. If you learn how it works, you think twice before overloading it with things it can't eliminate.

Dr. Cabot puts all this valuable information together in an easy to read book and the basics are easy to follow without recipes although there are many to choose from. An excellent book if you want to take your health into your own hands. Highly recommended!
Format: Paperback
After coming back from holidays 3kg heavier than my NORMAL 92kg (206lbs) (which is over 15kgs more than my recommended body weight to my height of 5'8") I put myself onto Dr Cabot's Liver-Cleansing Diet on a days notice. Why did I choose the LCD? I didn't have to sign up on anything or go to groups or meetings etc. I had a list of what I could eat and what I couldn't eat and I stuck to it like a zealot. In the course of the eight weeks I lost 13kg's (29lbs) getting myself down from 95kgs to 82kgs (183lbs)!
This proved to me that not only was I well and truly overweight but that my eating habits were absolutely shocking and needed a change. AND I did not starve myself either. I did try to modify the amount of food I ate because not only was the problem what I was eating, but how much, but I never starved myself or went hungry. If I felt like something to eat out of normal meals I would just blend up a banana & soya milk smoothie with frozen bananas and a dollop of natural honey (try it!).
I have two recommendations for people doing this diet.
1: Stick to it religiously, if you allow yourself butter here and there or some greasy chips at a party you will find it too easy to stray from the diet. Dr Cabot says in the book you are allowed the odd indiscretion, but I found for me personally it had to be all or nothing.
2: If you have a partner (wife/husband/etc) then they really should do it as well because the temptation is great to have the food they get to eat. I know this now because I am on the diet for a second time to try and get my weight to around 77kg (172lbs) but my wife is not joining me AS MUCH as the first time round because she doesn't need too (55kg). Seeing that bottle of coke when you are reaching for that soy milk, or that block of cheese sitting next to that block of tofu makes for some mighty effort in willpower but I am sticking to my guns!
Good luck!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 1999
Format: Paperback
Once people understand the principles of eating well (healthily) then it is a very easy 'diet' to stick to. You DO feel better, you DO have more energy, and you DEFINITELY look better. I had to go on this diet for my health, and not because of my liver, but I had two heamatoma (blood clots) on my brain and after reading about my problem it was obvious that certain foods would aid in my recovery whilst others would not. The liver cleansing diet was exactly it. It hepled being home from work for three months, but once in the routine, it is easy. The bloodclots disappeared and I lost 8 kgs. (17.6 pounds) Yes, I needed to lose weight but I was not obese. And I wasn't even sticking to the diet to the 'T'. But certainly improved my eating habits. If you are like me and feel sick after ingesting foods that are not balanced then this is something to read. I actually ate about four times as much as I normally do, and still lost all that weight, my skin looks fresh, and my eyes have a healthy glow. As far as literature goes, this is not great, however it makes you understand why your body functions in certain ways, and exactly why you can improve your health/lose weight by eating correctly. This is a great help. I gave it five stars as it acheives what is is meant to. By understanding the functions of the liver and how this relate to general health is really important.
on January 26, 2000
Format: Paperback
This book and diet was great. It made us realize how much processed foods we eat that are loaded with preservatives, additives and injected with hormones (meats and eggs). My husband lost 22lbs. This weight came off at the end of the diet. We found it hard to revert back to eating like did before the diet. We still continue to eat healthy. We feel so much more energetic. This book has given us healthy way of eating and most likely increasing years to our lives. Anyone can benefit from this book even if you do not follow the diet 100%. Anyone can try the diet at least 50 - 70% and see and feel results.
on July 8, 2006
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Unless your diet is presently terrible, this book probably won't help you if you have candida, celiac disease, crohn's, ulcerative colitis, IBD, or IBS. Cabot limits meats and encourages non-gluten grains. Those of us with many kinds of digestive disorders cannot digest starches and disacharides (double sugars). I followed the Liver Cleansing Diet strictly for three weeks, but the inclusion of grains, sweet potatoes, corn, and soy made my symptoms worse than they had been before I started her diet. My bloating became so bad on this diet that I looked six months pregnant and getting worse. I eliminated soy and corn but to no avail. I then switched to Elaine Gottshall's Carbohydrate Specific Diet (Breaking the Vicious Cycle) and started feeling better within two days. My belly is board flat now, my skin looks better, my mood is good, and digestion feels so much better - after only one week! I wish I had found Gottshall years ago.

I gave the The Liver Cleansing Diet (and The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book) three stars because the information about the liver was well documented and important to learn. The caveat here regards impaired digestion; as long as our intestines are not functioning properly we cannot absorb the nutrients our liver needs. People with digestive disorders need a dramatically different approach.

I think Cabot is a good doctor and writer, but maybe needs to broaden her horizons. Excellent liver health CAN change our lives, but until my intestines heal, my liver starves.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2007
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Conservative doctors have slated this book. Too bad, because the advice worked very well for me. I can only question their intellect. I have a degree in exercise physiology, so I am approaching this with a good basic understanding of the systems and processes involved. In the academic world I found too much blind faith in the conventional wisdom. Too few truly questioning minds; too much effort to simply pass the exam. In the medical and nutritional fields this mentality is regrettably extant. This is why I question the intellect of doctors that have panned Dr Cabot's fine work.

I am an athlete looking for a competitive edge without resorting to drugs, and in Dr Cabot's work I found it in spades. I have never felt so alive as when on her diet, and I have never recovered so quickly from a training session.

The basic premise of the book is that the liver, the largest organ in the body, has a vast effect on how we feel and function. Therefore, argues Dr Cabot, if we reduce liver stressors, the organ will have greater capacity for functions such as manufacturing glycogen for energy, and flushing fat from the body. In other words, you get leaner and you go faster.

Much in our conventional diet is harmful to the liver and slows it down. If we cut the garbage out of our diet the liver has to work less hard at processing junk and has more capacity to fuel our daily needs.

Some say that Dr Cabot permits too many simple sugars into her diet, these people say that it could be better. I cannot really argue against this, but what I can say is that it made a significant improvement on my overall feeling of well-being as well as my athletic performance. Furthermore, it is a diet that I could follow without getting stressed out about making big sacrifices. It contains many tasty recipes.

My pre-existing diet was not considered bad by conventional medicine and nutrition, in fact it had been evaluated and given a high mark only a year earlier. Yet Dr Cabot's approach is vastly superior in my experience.

If you buy the book with the intention of following the diet, I suggest you follow it very closely in order to get the full benefit.
on August 18, 1999
Format: Paperback
I have battled with elevated liver enzymes for over 10 years and doctors didn't have a clue. I became an herbalist after researching on my own to find out what the problem was, and did quite well but I knew there had to be more that could be done nutritionally, well this is exactly what I was looking for. Just one week into the diet I felt like a new person. I found all the proof in her book I needed that I was on the right track, hormone replacement had caused my problems and 8 different doctors said that could not be it.
Had my liver enzymes checked 1 month into the diet and they had dropped over a 150 points. I have always done the milk thistle and dandelion and lecithin and it helped drop it but not like when I added the diet.
I loan the book to my clients and they always end up buying it, they get such good results for various problems, and it only cements the advice I give them on Herbs and supplements.
I say bravo to Sandra! keep up the good work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2007
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The principle theme of the book is that our body (especially the liver) is unable to process all the toxins the body ingests. Consequently, we end up with progressively worsened health conditions...high cholesterol and blood pressure, diabetes, a slowed metabolism, etc., etc. By periodically following a cleansing plan, one is able to help the body function as it was meant to (my purpose for doing the plan).

The diet includes such things as "juicing" once a day, lots of raw fruits and vegetables, a raw salad before the evening meal, and 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. The restrictions change according to what part of the plan you are on, but include no beef, processed food, dairy products, or transfats.

The plan does require a lot of changes, which can mean a lot of work. I did not start this plan to lose weight, but in the three weeks I've been doing it, I've lost 6 lbs (which is a lot for me considering my weight). I do feel very well and never find myself hungry.

I highly recommend this book as the principles are sound.

Note: The author has more than 25 years of medical experience.

October 19, 2011: After 6 weeks on the plan, I had lost a total of 16 pounds. I did not restrict how much I ate and so I never felt hungry.

Over the years, I have continued to try to follow the recommendations in the book as I always feel better when doing so (e.g., I get sick less, have more energy). An added benefit is that it helps me remain at my body's ideal weight.
on February 13, 1999
Format: Paperback
I found Sandra's book in Launceston while I was living in Tasmania, Australia. For the first 2-3 days on the diet and taking the recommended liver tonic, I felt a little run down. Then, after some wholesome and regular bowel movements I began to feel fantastic. I wasn't aiming to lose weight, but I did lose some and felt alot less 'bloated'. Then I was able to control gain & loss by increasing or reducing the amount of food I ate. I did not follow the diet to a "T" but followed its basic concept. After eating this new way for 4 weeks, I went back to my old way of eating (which included dairy products, deep fried foods, refined sweets, etc) and then began to excercise, walk and jog. However, I felt healthier, fitter and livelier and had a much improved complexion eating what is recommended in the Liver Clensing Diet. Now I am in the USA and am finding that disease prevention and curing diets are similar to Sandra Cabot's methods. I quess we just have to have a positive attitude towards things if we want a positive result. I recommend the "Liver Book" to anyone inspired to be healthier.
on December 26, 2001
Format: Paperback
Two years ago I was feeling poorly and had put on an extra 20lbs. I went to the doctor and was told I had cysts in my liver, which were hindering my normal liver function. The doctor said she would put me on medication. I did not want to go that route, so she suggested The Liver Cleanse Diet. I thought for sure I would not be able to follow a specific diet with my hectic schedule, but decided to give it a try. What a difference it made in my energy level and the way I look at food. By the end of the eight weeks, I was 22lbs. lighter and getting compliments not only on my size but on how terrific my skin looked. Its now two years later, I slipped a little this year on eating way too much refined sugar and put back on about 8lbs. I am sooooo looking forward to getting back on the diet to cleanse my system again. I will probably make it a habit to do the full 8 week program once a year from now on.