Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 11, 2003
This is the writing resource that I wish I had been introduced to back in high school when writing essays and term papers. It is accessible for high school students but can also provide guidance for those out of school.
With writing becoming increasingly important in high school (the SAT is about to add a writing section), this is an invaluable pedagogical resource for the teacher and student. High school and college student with superior writing skills will always differentiate themselves from their peers. By using this book, the student will improve organization and construction of essays and term papers as well as improve analytical reasoning and thinking. There is even a section of appropriate language for business writing. Teachers will find the most improvement in student's revising skills, a step that most high school students skip over in the writing process.
It is more useful as a writing resource than as an authority on grammar. For a grammar resource, I recommend Dianne Hacker's Writer's Reference. Another useful writing resource for those out of school is Peter Elbow's Writing Without Teachers. Elbow's book is quoted several times in Writer's Inc. for providing suggestions for lifelong improvement of writing out of school. Another perennial favorite is E.B. White's Elements of Style.
More parents, students, and educators should be made aware of this book. It is a good investment.
on February 11, 2000
This book served me well through high school, college, my first job as a newspaper reporter, and also as a content writer for an Internet integrator. Highly recommended. I believe all schools should do what my high school did with this book: but a copy for every student to keep forever. It is an invaluable resource, with the right approach, and a little attitude.
Fun, witty, smart, direct, and simply the best reference book I've ever owned, Writer's Inc. is exceptional not only for its utility, but also its content. Writer's Inc. is not only a grammar guide and reference, but addresses the THINKING and LEARNING processes in a way that most schools fail to do directly.
Read this book. Keep it on your shelf all through school, college, a career, and the rest of your life after this and you will have a richer mind for it.
on October 8, 2002
We are using Writers Inc in homeschooling our 10 and 12 year olds. It provides clear, concise explanations of grammar that even 4th graders can understand. We've used it for teaching sentence construction, grammar, speech, and book report and research paper writing. It has sections on just about everything relating to communication at all levels. There are even many unexpected resources including conversion charts, maps, a calendar and much more. An extremely valuable resource!
on November 9, 1999
I am currently a senior in high school, preparing to spend the next four years of my life at a college working towards an English degree of some sort. When I formulated this goal in my mind, I knew I would need a guide. Following the advice of my teacher, I picked up this dandy little book, and I can only say one thing: what a big help it has been! The section devoted to the subtle nuances of the English language, such as the differences between eminent/imminent, lay/lie, who/whom, that/which, etc., is well worth the cost by itself! In addition, the book provides lucid guidelines and step-by-step instructions for writing a letter, report, summary, or any other genre of paper.
Put simply, this is a book every English geek should have.
on September 19, 2002
As an English and Special Education teacher I've found the Writers Inc. books to be a very helpful reference book for my students. However, the hardback versions are better organized and easier to find information than the softback. So, spend the few extra dollars...to get the better book.
on September 17, 1999
This is the best handbook for writing I've ever had the privilage of using. It was my course book for my junior and senior year in high school, and now here I am in college, and I still use it frequently! It is indispensable! If you like to write, you'll read each page over and over until you are saturated with the wonderful ideas within, and even if you hate writing, you'll appreciate the conciseness and clarity of this book. The index is extremely easy to use, and the topics cover nearly everything you need to know!
on November 5, 2002
I bought this book in 1993 as a requirement for my high school freshman English class. I have used it so much over the years that the spine is barely holding together! The information is laid out so simply and it is wonderfully easy to understand. The only reason you'll ever need to update it is to keep up with new rules on sourcing. My copy was written before there were even encyclopedias on CD-rom, much less the internet! But I still use it today -- 10 years and a master's degree later!
on October 31, 2007
The latest edition of Writers Inc is a great resource for any student or teacher, but does not provide the extensive list of prefixes, suffixes, and word roots included in my copy of the 1996 edition published by D. C. Heath and Company, a Houghton Mifflin company. I recommended this book to a student who was looking for such a list. We were both disappointed that these lists had been removed. If you have an earlier version, don't count on this one being exactly like a previous edition.
on December 31, 2013
This is money well spent. This book covers all part of speech and keeps your writing on track. I chose this book as I was a nurse for 28 years and never wrote in full sentences. This is helping me get back to good sentence structure and complete sentences. I highly recommend the book and seller
on July 10, 2000
When I went to buy all the required books for my english class, I thought that this would be just another boring book. I was wrong, this book is interesting, user friendly and easy to read. I used many, many, many times outside of that english class. It shows you how to write those difficult bibliographies for any situation and reference. It also includes sample resumes. This book is not only good for students, but for adults. It will make business letters look more intelligent by helping you to choose the correct grammar and sentence structure. It is very much written in plain english. This would also make a great gift for graduates entering High School or college.