Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 29, 2001
The first person to review this book said that it included an erroneous fact that women were indeed allowed to participate in the ancient Olympics. Actually, at first women were not permitted to participate, nor were they allowed to be spectators until the 2nd century A.D. They did, however, have their own festival at Olympia called the Heraia with the only sporting event being a short race. In Sparta, a state in southern ancient Greece, girls were encouraged to take part in sports and games (Olympics, Oxlade and Ballheimer; Eyewitness Books, 1999). So, the information provided in this book is actually factual.
on December 5, 1998
This is one of the best books I have ever read (and I have all of them!) The coolest part is when Jack and Annie leaped on the horse for a ride to the treehouse where they were safe and sound! I like your books so much that I gave them to my friends as birthday presents, and now they enjoy them too! I hope you keep on writing!
on October 10, 2001
"Hour Of The Olympics" is good because of the ways you learn about the Olympics, and the Olympic events, plus the legend of Pegasus, the flying horse. So amazing, I almost applauded so loud my neighborhood could hear me. Trust me, you can't miss out on this one.
on November 11, 2003
The book you are going to read about is called Hour of the Olympics. Mary Pope Osborne wrote it and she is a great writer. This story is about the first Olympic game. The two main characters are named Jack and Annie. This book comes from a series of books, so this is only one adventure. The problem in this story is that Jack and Annie are at the first Olympics and no girls are allowed. Annie sneaks in and gets caught. Can Jack get her out of this mess? To find out you will have to read Hour of the Olympics.
on March 19, 2005
The last Magic Tree House that I read was Hour of the Olympics. I liked it because it had a lot of interesting facts about the early olympics. I thought it was funny that some people wore armor when they ran in races! I suggest that you read this book!
on December 17, 2012
These Magic Tree House books are a lovely way for children to learn a bit about history, but in a fun story format.

In this book, Annie and Jack go back to Ancient Greece and get caught up in the Olympics. Initially, unmarried women were not allowed to watch the men's Olympic Games. Annie needs to make sure she is not discovered and when things get a bit tricky, Pegasus comes to Annie's and Jack's rescue.

Don't forget the Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #10: Ancient Greece and the Olympics: A Nonfiction Companion to Magic Tree House #16: Hour of the Olympics book which goes hand-in-hand with this book and provides more historical information on Ancient Greece. Another book that also provides historical information on the Olympic Games in a fun time travel manner is the The Olympic Adventure: Magic Necklace Series (Volume 1)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 22, 2014
As an adult reading this book aloud to the children after studying the ancient Olympics in school with them this week, I was disappointed in the lack of depth and information in this book. The adventure felt extremely short and the lack of suspense was frankly, pathetic! All Jack and Annie got to do/see was see some acting, meet up with Plato, see the beginning of a chariot race and fly off on Pegasus.

There are SO many more interesting facts about the ancient Olympics that could have been intertwined into this fictional story. Other than Plato, there were was no interaction with any of the other people of the time. If you are looking for a mediocre story then this will work for you but if you are looking for something "meatier" then I recommend giving this a miss.
on December 9, 2014
This series sparks creativity and imagination. I read these wonderful chapter books every night to my daughter and we love where the magic tree house takes us. I highly recommend their books for any age.
on April 14, 2015
My son, nephews, and nieces have all enjoyed this series. When I began reading with each child they were barely able to read a chapter without getting frustrated and pushed to try new words. Then by the time they reached the tenth book in the series they were all flying through with ease. This series is a wonderful introduction to fantasy and critical thinking.
on August 25, 2012
The was a very good book. I enjoyed the part where Annie tried to participate in the games even though girls were not allowed. I also liked the part where they learned about a secret poet from Plato, that was a girl. She gave them her story to take back home where it would be safe because girls were not allowed to write stories in early Greece.