Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 14, 2011
This book is great when it comes to studying microeconmics (especially for beginners, like i was). The content is easy to understand and the examples are pretty catchy so you can remind yourself of the theories easier. I can only recommend this book for studying, as long as you are not in too deep into microeconomics already. But for starting, it was a good book.
on September 5, 2009
The book is detailed yet simple with plenty of examples. Excellent book for learning economics on an introductory level.
on August 3, 2014
I got this book because I like reading Economics from different perspectives. I'm like that with a lot of my textbooks. It helps me to understand on multiple levels, and I tend to be better that way in school. Sometimes a passage in a text is undecipherable when it's written by a particular author, but then the lightbulb comes on when reading from another source. (Who's to say that the first source was useless; I think the first source could have helped in planting a seed of information.)

In regards to this particular book, I'm of mixed feelings with the actual text of this book. It's not exactly written in a down to earth format; however, I do find the examples relative and engaging. One of my favorite examples was how tenants still lived in a rent controlled apartment in India even though the building had been condemned. They did not leave because rent was affordable even though the building had been condemned. Economics is the study of choices in the midst of scarcity - desperate people do desperate things. I love how this book points back to choices. Other texts not so much, and not so vividly.

Aside from the examples, the actual text can read a bit cerebral at times. What I particularly like about this book is the bolded vocabulary words (as opposed to yellow highlights that some publishers are doing nowadays). I also like that this book is very colorful (as opposed to just a three or four color palette). For me, color helps me to learn and to cateogorize. Economics is not all that difficult to grasp once it's studied, and this book was helpful in my studies. 4 stars.
on May 6, 2013
I used this book for college and it was a great source of information. It had great study material and the chapter review and summaries at the end were great for assisting in passing the course material.
on April 19, 2016
Solid intro to microeconomics book - covers all the basics that a professor teaching an entry level course would want to teach. Everything from basic supply / demand elasticities, international economics, relative terms of trade, how to calculate GDP, etc. Krugman is quite well known in the world of economics as well!
on April 26, 2010
I have taught microeconomics online for five years, and have used Krugman & Wells for most of that time. Students generally like it.

The book is not, as a previous reviewer claimed, tied to Aplia. It is a stand-alone book. Aplia is a platform of assignments and experiments for a number of disciplines; even within microeconomics, Aplia can be used with over two dozen different textbooks.

Whatever problems the other reviewer had with Aplia should probably have been addressed via his or her instructor, since answer tolerance windows are set by instructors, and instructors can override Aplia grades in case of error. Almost all of my students who have claimed a grading error have, in fact, not understood the details of the question asked. Perhaps this reviewer's professor could have explained the feedback Aplia gave. My students generally love Aplia, especially its experiments in which they participate together.

In any event, Aplia is not the textbook, and the textbook has a very comprehensive coverage of microeconomics, including some current hot areas others don't do well, or don't do at all, such as moral hazard, markets with "lemon" products, uncertainty, and all-or-nothing vs. incremental decision-making. Aside from the usual few typos it's error-free, as one might expect from a Nobel Prize-winning author. It's also non-political, as one might not expect from this particular Nobel Prize-winning author.

The only reason I do not give it five stars is its price, and that is not the fault of the authors but instead has much to do with increasing concentration in the textbook industry (see chapter 15) and artificial product differentiation via planned obsolescence (see chapter 16).
on February 2, 2010
So far I have used the first three chapter in the book. I am thankful for the way terms are connected with common life experiences. I see the book uses a baby step way of learning the terms. I think this gives me time to think about the terms for a moment and get a grasp on the topic. I can see this being annoying for someone who just wants to get through the material.
on July 23, 2013
Was a good microeconomics textbook. It covered introductory topics such as supply and demand, consumer and producer surplus, elasticity, profit / revenue and cost analysis, taxes, and decision making when resources are scarce.
on June 20, 2013
I needed this textbook for school and not only was it in great condition but extremely affordable. I would recommend this product.
on January 17, 2012
It looks old but quality!! but no study guide~ There has no page lost and dirty things on the book~ and its a pretty good deal~~