Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on November 4, 2011
To DK Publishing,

This is by far one of the best books that DK has done so far. Their work includes the Definite Visual Guides for Earth, Universe, History, Art, Science, Ocean and their best-selling Animal. I have never ssen a history book that gives a definite visual chronology of the events and people that have defined our history. From our own origins to the death of Al-Qaeda Leader Osama Bin Laden this book gives it's ultimate best in providing a clear picture of our human past and the events that have changed our world. For anyone who is fascinated with History, this is a must-have. It's a great reference for students and teachers alike with a passion of understanding the Past. DK Publishing, do continue your great work. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Curtis Spratte-Lennington
0Comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2011
I hardly ever write product reviews but I have to comment on this book. This is one of the most amazing books I have ever seen. It is over 500 pages long, full color on every page, and incredibly comprehensive. There is an astounding amount of information inside! The timeline at the bottom of each page is a great quick-reference tool and I also noticed that important words or points within the text are bolded. I love the fact that it focuses on the entire world and does not seem biased toward U.S. history. It is a steal for $25!
11 comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2012
I'm still reading this wonderful history book. Each of the pages are beautifully laid out. Covering all of history in one book means that it is fairly superficial, but it is a pleasure to go through at a leisurely pace. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes DK books (Dorling Kindersley). Their books seem to only get better and better. More and more competition seems to be out there, but no one does it better than DK. I own dozens of their books and have rarely been disappointed. This is the kind of book that you must own and hold in your own hands. No e-book could ever take its place. It is the best world history book I have ever seen.

Two small caveats, I sense a bit of British bias as I read through this book, and there's the rare and minor typos that most books seem to have.

As a former teacher I would rate this book high school to adult. Some younger children with a very good vocabularies and high interest in history might enjoy it as well.
11 comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2012
This book is fantastic. So much information and gorgeous pictures, I can sit for hours looking through this book. This is my 14th DK coffee table book. It takes you from the beginning when humans first walked the earth up to now. One of my favorite DK books.
11 comment22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
This book is a must have for those interested in history or for educational purposes. I love this book and the layout and design is amazing. Would make a great gift for the serious reader.
on March 29, 2012
Simply, a great work of History and Human Evolution. Very detailed content with satisfying visual support. Easy Reading.
Have at least 20 books in this category (Visual Reference Book on History) & can easily say one of the best.
on June 18, 2012
This is a wonderful book for all ages. My grandson,age 15, spotted this in a book store and was quite fascinated. I bought it for him for his birthday and we all enjoyed it!!
on September 27, 2013
I was super-duper excited about this book. I love history and I love lush visuals. However, I'm not in love with this book. It needs more maps. AND it is squished. Every page could use fewer images but larger and better quality images. Go ahead and squeeze all the printed info onto each page, but declutter the overall impression, please!!!

The best I can describe this book is "channel-surfing." That's how I feel when I try to enjoy it. Or like this book has ADHD, if that makes sense!

A few of the spreads are great, but overall I am quite disappointed. I'm going to give this book as a gift, but I'm back on the prowl for a more cohesive, more beautiful visual history of the world.
11 comment21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2014
This is a huge, neat book with tons of facts...from early origins of man to last year's Arab revolutions. The illustrations are good and I especially like the timeline at the bottom of each page. It's interesting to see what was happening when - good for adults and kids!

However, the book arrived looking already read and worn. The sleeve cover was torn, the ends were dented in and there was a security block/box inside the book. How does that happen Amazon??
review image review image
on May 4, 2012
The Timelines of History is a great quick reference book. Concise summaries of major historical events, starting with human origin, supported by good visuals, make this an interesting and easy read.