Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Feminist Ryan Gosling: Feminist Theory (as Imagined) from Your Favorite Sensitive Movie Dude
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 6, 2012
I was positively giddy when this showed up in my mailbox. I had almost forgotten that I pre-ordered it! it's been a few years since college, when I took gender studies and read works by Irigaray, bell hooks, Foucault, Fausto-Sterling, and many others that I can't even remember now. I was delighted to discover Henderson's internet meme combining these legendary theorists with pop culture, iconic feminists like Gloria Steinem and Hilary Clinton, the Bechdel test for films, or obscure Latin references to feminist dystopian novels like Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. This subject matter exploring oppression and dark topics is lightened by adding actor Ryan Gosling's face on it. The juxtaposition of serious subject matter with lightheartedness is interesting. I think that adding pop culture to the meme helps make it more accessible to those who would ordinarily be totally disinterested in gender theory.

This delightful meme and its book has prompted me to revisit some of these theorists. I think it's great for people to learn about feminism, check out the theorists for themselves, and this meme will certainly expose a greater segment of society to gender theory instead of just a handful of undergrad and graduate students. I think this meme gives a great platform to explain concepts like the patriarchy or male privilege to others who see the Feminist meme images and are curious about the complex theoretical terms that are often presented in Henderson's work.

This book gives me a lighthearted laugh at complex subject matter and the culture that we live in. Many thanks to Danielle Henderson for creating this meme and this book to help make gender theory more accessible, and to get people thinking and talking about how our society views and regulates gender.
on August 5, 2012
This is one of those books I plan on keeping stacks of around the house for gifts and just to give away in general. Funny, smart and silly, FRG the book is even better than FRG the blog, which is saying something. Cannot wait to see what comes next from the brilliant Danielle Henderson.
on April 5, 2016
Bought this for a female friend for Christmas along with a bottle of wine and some bubble bath for the ultimate "girl's night in".
Obviously Ryan Gosling is a dreamboat, so any book with a picture of him on every page is a girl's best friend, but the "Hey Girl.." entries are hilarious. The author is genuinely witty and makes reference to actual feminist theory such as that of bell hooks. The author uses the (fe)male-gaze in a way adds irony to amusement. Genius! Love it!
on August 22, 2013
I bought and almost immediately returned the Kindle version, because this is a book that is formatted as a two-page spread, and on the Kindle, the text and accompanying photos aren't able to be viewed at the same time in most cases (and that's where the genius and humor of this book lies).
on May 1, 2013
The Gos. Judith Butler. Can I get a "hottest 3-some ever!" ? But really, the idea of a beautiful, intelligent, feminist man; THAT is what we all want -- not calendars of scantily-clad muscley men vaccuming or doing the dishes. Danielle Henderson, you're a genius. I bought a few of these for my friends as gifts. So good.
on July 12, 2013
I bought this book for a friend who was a gender studies major in college and she just adored it. Some of the references were lost on me so if you don't have a grasp of feminist theory this book will occasionally fly right over your head like it did mine. That isn't to say that it's not entertaining regardless though because, let's face it, a book with Ryan Gosling on every page is pretty much better than any other book. ;)
on August 12, 2012
If you like a) tongue-in-cheek academia, b) the oh-so-handsome Ryan Gosling, or c) feminist theory, this book is for you. A few of the pages are laugh-out-loud funny. It's a great book to grab and sit around a coffee table with some girlfriends.
on March 13, 2013
I've enjoyed the Feminist Ryan Gosling site on Tumblr for the last two years, and I like this collection because it includes the most humorous images from the site and also some jokes that I had missed.
on November 26, 2012
This book is a funny primer on some basic feminist ideas. It's definitely amusing to think of Ryan Gosling saying all of these things. There are some quotes or references to authors that are certainly less well-known - I would take that as an opportunity to expand your knowledge. It would be a great gift for a teenage girl who needs a nudge in the right direction.
on February 5, 2013
Clever, humorous; a fun look at Feminist Theory. I was introduced to the blog/memes in my introductory Women's Studies course and have been hooked ever since. Great collection, a great new addition to my library.