Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on November 6, 2012
Kevin Pollak's Kevin Pollak's Chat Show podcast is a treat as Kevin Pollak interviews celebrities in a freewheeling 2 or 3 hour chat about show business and their career. What makes Pollak's show so appealing is his enthusiasm for the business, his love of both the comedy and acting craft, and his seemingly endless enthusiasm to know more about others. What shines through behind Pollak's smart ass exterior is a genuinely nice guy who seems to be in awe of the fact that he gets to do something he loves among people more famous than he.

Kevin's goofiness and ease with a story transfers well to How I Slept My Way to the Middle, a mostly good natured celebrity tell-some about his Zelig-like (his comparison) journey through Hollywood. Pollak has worked with some of the best in the business and tells loving stories of working with the likes of Nicholson, DeNiro, Cruise, and Samm Levine. Like the best of these types of books, it's light, breezy, funny, and a little bitchy at times. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on April 7, 2015
This is pretty much the book that any one of us average Joes would want write (if we had the talent) should we have magically found ourselves working with some of Hollywood's biggest names.

Pollak's somewhat rambling memoir is incredibly entertaining. It alternates between "I'm just a schmuck - how did I get here?" and "This is the ballsy thing I did that advanced my career" and "I got to hang out with these famous people people." Sure, there's a lot of name-dropping - but it's always done in an entertaining way and with a sense of slight disbelief and awe. It's a damned funny book and rich with tales from the unseen Hollywood.

I personally found the DeNiro, Brooks, and Nicholson stories to be priceless. Although one of these days, I'd like to see "Club Willis."

If you're a follower of movie biz, then you'll find this to be an entertaining way to spend several hours. I recommend the audiobook, so you can benefit from KP's myriad impressions (btw, his Paul Reiser is EERIE).
on May 10, 2013
I am a little puzzled by a few of the negative reviews saying he is self involved or annoying. Don't you just expect that from celebrities? He even admits he is thoroughly self involved, so what is the problem? He is a good story teller and he has a lot of exciting or interesting stories about people you know. Kind of like the stories that celebrities tell when they go on a talk show. It is like a series of these talk show panel appearance stories, thoughtfully and creatively organized. Just what you might expect from a celebrity book. There is lots of name dropping, but he is writing about his experiences in comedy clubs, movies and tv so you would expect a name or two or a hundred to pop up. The pace is fast and light and the tone is generally very deferential.
on March 5, 2013
I picked this up after seeing Mr. Pollak on G4 promoting his book. I enjoy Kevin's comedy, so I figured I'd enjoy his foray into writing. And all I can say is... meh. I mean, there are some funny parts to it, and it is definitely chock full of anecdotes about how he made it into the Hollywood lens.

But I walked away with the feeling that this was less about him and more about who he's rubbed elbows with. Which, don't get me wrong, isn't necessarily bad, but I was really hoping for more of Mr. Pollak's own humor to shine through. He clearly has quite an affection for Tom Cruise, and I have to admit, it was hilarious reading about his interactions with Jack Nicholson, but overall, I felt like I wanted more. It was just okay.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2014
I've been a fan of Kevin Pollack for years, mostly accidental, since he's always been a supporting player in the movies I've seen him in and never the sole reason I buy a ticket to see the films he's been in. Some of those films are some of my all time favorites - The Usual Suspects, That Thing You Do, etc. - and I've always enjoyed his banter on shows he hosted or co-hosted (such as a Celebrity Poker). To top it off, he and I are both from the same town and went to the same middle and high schools in San Jose, CA.

What's my point? My point is that ALL of that useless information above is irrelevant to why I love his book. I downloaded the sample, read the first story of his about meeting Robert DeNiro just before shooting Casino and I was laughing out loud, then bought the whole book immediately.

Each chapter is a great read and I laughed many more times, out loud. Some, I handed over to my wife and said, "Read this!", to which she laughed out loud as well. His stories of him messing with Paul Reiser and Alan Arkin is worth the purchase, alone. My favorite thing about this book is how Pollak pulls you into his world in which he's a fish out of water and living the good life for the first time. I will say, I was slightly disappointed that he didn't mention anything about his experience on Tom Hanks' film That Thing You Do, but again, that's one of my favorite movies, so I'm sure not many others would mind that omission.

If you love reading behind-the-scenes anecdotes of what goes on during a movie shoot, at a lavish hotel suite (aka Penthouse) occupied by the likes of Bruce Willis and friends, or just want to laugh at a great comedian's very humble tale of climbing the fame ladder, you must buy this book. Highly recommended!
on March 1, 2015
Star worshipping stories of Kevin Pollack rubbing shoulders with famous actors. A whole chapter about how the great Tom Cruise gave him a very expensive pen.
What was I thinking when I purchased this book? I figured a comedian who's been trolling for work in Hollywood for a few years might have a little insight. Or at least some good dirt...... Not.
The best part of it was his personal tale, as a young start-up, of interrupting a Rich Little show to showcase his own imitation of Peter Falk. That's good stuff. Took a lot of chutzpah. The rest of it is too much name dropping, slavish genuflecting of Jack Nicholson, Cruise, all the rest. Nothing much happens except he WORKS with them and maybe they talk to him for a few minutes. Wow.
on May 9, 2013
Kevin Pollak takes the reader through a life on stage and screen with his own signature sense of humor. From his days of lip-synching to Bill Cosby routines to working alongside screen legends, Kevin gives a real behind-the-scenes look at the worlds of stand-up comedy, television and film. To get the full experience, I strongly recommend you also pick up the audiobook because there's nothing like hearing Kevin do his impressions.
on August 20, 2015
LOVE Chat Show - great man. And hearing his humble beginnings was a fun little trip down mammary lane.
Thanks Kevin. GFY. :-)

LKG - I remember writing my first book and got to use the first ball point pen made by a company founded by my uncle Sebastian. I still have it, sadly Sebastian passed away sometime ago. Lake Mohawk, NJ you're on!
on March 9, 2014
Kevin Pollak is a delight. He's very funny and does great impressions. His reading of the book aloud is really nice because he really accentuates when needed, and of course, does his many voices. I'm not sure I'd listen to it over and over, but the first time was very entertaining.
on August 27, 2013
I purchased this book after I had the pleasure of seeing Kevin Pollack live and meet him and he was discussing this book. I thought it sounded good and it was and it was really funny too. Recommend to all to read a great read!