Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon December 18, 2012
Sabrina Eckhart is rebuilding a life that was going great and then hit a financial flat tire. The sunlight is shining now she believes as she begins the search for a silver mine her uncle left her as an inheritance. The problem is the help she needs to check it out is with the one man that irritates her as much as he enchants, PI Alex Justice.

Alex has been waging his own battle of avoidance with Sabrina knowing she is the one woman he will not be able to walk away from. Helping Sabrina starts out simply enough with a quick trip to the land to "check things out." This trip quickly turns into a nightmare fight for their lives neither expected. Someone is not going to let Sabrina find out what the mine might have in it but the cost of her life is more than Alex will tolerate. He goes into defense mode and embraces all of his skills as a former Navy pilot and more importantly man in love with a woman.

Sabrina and Alex chase down leads, investigate too many suspects, and wind up holding onto each other with both arms. When couples fight side-by-side the learn what they are made up of together and apart. What Alex and Sabrina discover is that they are a match made in fire and full of light.

Kat Martin writes from what she knows adventure and romance. The characters are captivating and the romance hot enough to burn up the pages. This series gets better with every book and readers know that Ms. Martin is the real writing deal.
VINE VOICEon January 17, 2013
I'm kind of surprised by how much AGAINST THE ODDS disappointed me. It came across as a very dated romantic suspense novel, and I kept wondering when it was written, thinking that maybe this was a re-release, but no, it's new. When the story described the heroine as wearing "blouses," jeans, and Reebok sneakers, I had this flashback to the 80s. Then the hero wore a blue, flowered shirt to a fancy dinner and the pictures in my brain weren't pretty.

Alright, so what turned me off? First and foremost it has to be the heroine, Sabrina. She's supposed to be this "fiesty" redhead who overcame a provincial, smalltown upbringing to become a female stockbroker. Any woman who can work in what is still a male-dominated field should have a tremendous amount of confidence, right? Wrong, Sabrina was terribly insecure and downright naive when it came to dealing with men. She didn't strike me as an authentically modern woman as the story progressed, and this turned her into nothing more than a damsel-in-distress. Bleck.

I thought the beginning was strong, and I liked how the couple were thrown into dire straights almost immediately, but before they could really bond and generate some chemistry the author pulled their butts out of the fire. After that it was pretty much downhill for me.

The writing was certainly competent, but it lacked that sizzle and polish that I've come to expect (and obviously been spoiled by). Also, I absolutely hate it when the woman protests at the beginning of a sex scene with stuff like, "No, we shouldn't, we can't..." etc. This happened twice, and once was too much for me. I realize that this is a personal preference, because some readers do like that whole, reluctant woman who must be seduced scene, but personally, I hate it.
on December 20, 2012
4 STARS
Against the odds keeps you guessing right to the end who is trying to kill Alex and Sabrina. The action and drama are nonstop. Thier a few love scenes that I skipped over.
Sabrina Eckhart hired Alex Justice former Navy pilot now P.I. to fly her out to the property she inheirited and help her find the mine her Uncle found.
On thier way out to the deseret to find the property the helicoptor they rented started to have problems. Alex used all his skills to get them down without killing themselves. When they got down the copter got fire.
Sabrina had sprained ankle and concussion. Alex had bruised rib. They were lucky. After a couple of days they started to walk out. They were found and flown out of the deseret. On thier way in they found the mine.
Sabrina and Alex were attracted to each other. After they got back they slept together and then Sabrina paniced. She did not want to ruin thier friendship. Plus her best friend was married now to Alex's friend and boss Jake.
Then Sabrina was in a car accident when her steering gave out she almost got hit by semi truck. Instead with quick thinking she avoided the semi and got rear ended instead.
The mine her Uncle discovered before he died was actually worth a lot. A few days before her Uncle's death he left everything to her instead of his children because of the way they treated him.
So was someone trying to kill Sabrina because they knew them mine was rich or was thier a different reason.
The women are strong willed, they are likeable. A lot of the men who work with Alex are hot and brave. They are willing to help each other anyway they can.
I have read a few books in this series The Raines of Wind Canyon of books and look forward to reading the rest of them.
I was given this eboo to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA (December 18, 2012) 400 pages ISBN-13: 978-0778314226
on December 27, 2012
I love this author and this series. This book in particular is at least in my top two of the series. I'm a sucker for hot chemistry and these two have it big time. I really liked both characters, cared very much what happened to them and the mystery in this story was very well done. The writing and editing was top tier and if all this isn't enough we get an extra romance in the form of the heroes sister and friend-loved them almost as much as the primaries. The characters from previous books make an appearance and we are updated on their lives. I try to always balance my reviews and not gush, but honestly there are no minuses and only positive things to say about this truly entertaining, hard to put down book.
on August 12, 2015
I enjoy this series. The men are realistic .They lose their tempers, apologize, and have baggage. Alex loves Run a from the very beginning, but he is hurt by Rina's negative opinion of him. Inheriting a silver mine, Rina needs someone she trusts to help her check out the mine, and then keep her alive. The romance is amazing!
on December 26, 2012
We met Alex and Sabrina in Against the Sun book 6 of the series and these two did not like each other (but you know what that really means)

This is the 7th book of the series and I think they keep getting better.

Sabrina Eckhart not only lost her retirement on the stock market but due to the times she is now on a leave of absence from her job. Worried about her future she decides when her Uncle Walter leaves her in his will a vast amount of land in Texas that he claimed had silver on it, she decides this may be her only chance to improve her financial situation. Problem is no one else really believed Walter and she needs someone to fly her there so she can see for herself. Regardless of there past and her feelings that Alex Justice has a ego the size of Texas she doesn't trust anyone else to go with her.

Alex cannot believe that Sabrina came to him for help but there is just something about the little red head that messes with his libido. Since Alex is a pilot he fly's them to the west desert town and also fly's the helicopter they rent to take them to where they think the mine is. Turns out the helicopter was sabotaged and it crashes and blows up. Alex and Sabrina manage to stay alive out in desert and a truce of friendship is strung between the two before they are rescued. But that ends up not being the last attempt made on Sabrina's life. And Alex being a very alpha man makes it his job to protect Sabina at all cost.

Here the story kind of branches out into two stories. There is the mystery surrounding who wants to kill Sabrina and also a side story of his sister and her daughter who had left Connecticut to move to Texas to start over after an abusive marriage. This ties into an old case of Alex's of a child murderer that was set free on a technicality.

This was a great book that kept you guessing what was going to happen next at every turn. I really liked that it had the two romances in it plus we got to see a lot of Jake and Sage and the other guys at the PI firm.
on January 1, 2014
WOW! Did I enjoy that book. It had several story lines going and they all connected GREAT. I stayed up late a lot to get to where I could stop to sleep, but when I woke up I was back at while I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of course I had snacks in between meals also. Alex Justice is alpha male to the max.
Sabrina is something else, she took care of business when necessary and still stayed a girlie girl. Her family is a hot mess with all the issues they have. She handled it great.
I liked Alex's sister Rebacca and his niece Jenny. Sorry this kindle fire changes words that it thinks it should spell words instead of how they are spelled. I am glad Joe is with her.
You will not be sorry reading this book. Like I said about this series the alpha males and the women half wonder women and girlie girls are amazingly great books to read. GO KAT MARTIN!
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2013
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Alex Justice is a private investigator with employment at the same agency the Sabrina Eckhart's best friend Sage's husband worked at. He had just help find the killer of a ten year old girl and the reporters were pestering him. He was a terrific investigator and a good looking man at 6'2", blue eyes and dark blond hair.

Sabrina has inherited from her uncle some land out in the middle of nowhere in Texas and knows she needs to look it over as her uncle truly believed the old silver mine there was not bust but could be very productive. Sabrina needs to make arrangements to go out there and she knows Alex Justice is best qualified as he is an ace pilot.

From their helicopter crashing and only not killing them due to Alex's skill to being hit by a car, Sabrina/Rina is realizing that someone is trying to kill her. As she has a mining company explore the land her uncle left her and they find deposits in quantity of a fairly rare mineral, she knows her uncle was right and the land is worth more than first thought! But can she stand the annoying, womanizing Alex to continue to be her "bodyguard"?

I loved the mystery and how most of their relationship progressed. I just felt that on Sabrina's side she "doth protest too much."
on December 20, 2012
One of the best. I have started collecting and the Raines books are deffinitly keepers. trouble is Against The Edge is'nt due until April (already ordered) and Against the Mark does't show on sell yet. Great book and makes you want to back up and re-read, which I may do while I am waiting. One of my favorite authors. I think I am addicted. Thank God for Kat Martin and Amazon.
I can't say enough good things about this author. The suspense was almost making me want to go to the end poo f the book to see what happened, but I didn't. There was suspense right to the very end of the book.