Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Child's Book of Character Building: Growing Up in God's World - At Home, at School, at Play, Book 1
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Practical application of the Bible: it is a vital part of our walk with Christ, whether young or old. A Child's Book of Character Building is exactly that: practical application of the Bible fitted toward a young elementary child's life.

The book takes a series of character qualities, and systematically takes the child through a simple definition of that quality, a Bible verse, a Bible story that illustrates that quality in the life of Jesus or someone else in the Bible, then 3 one page stories illustrating that quality in the life of a child at home, at school, and at play, with some "character development challenges" questions at the end.

No talking vegetables of glossy color illustrations, but simple, Biblical instruction that kids will understand and learn from. Great for family devotions or for young readers to read to themselves.
on May 14, 1999
I recognized this book as a treasure when I first found it years ago, and gave a copy to my sister's preschool-age children. Over a decade later, when they were mourning a friend who had ruined her life, their Mom asked them (they are now teenagers), what had influenced them to avoid similar disaster. "It was those blue books, Mom", was their quick reply. These books have been out of print for several years, but have always been in demand, more recently by homeschoolers.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2009
I have enjoyed having this book and found it to be a great way to teach my child Christlike behavior. The book is simple to read and understand with large type for little eyes that might want to look on as you read (or some children may want to read it on their own). The concepts are easy to explain and are valuable for teaching Godly living.

The book has twelve sections with each section focusing on a particular character trait. Each trait is featured in four different stories showing the trait in the Bible, at Home, at School, and at Play. For instance, "Attentive" is one of the traits. The sections are as follows: Attentive in the Bible, which discusses how Jesus was attentive; Attentive at Home which highlights how a little girl should have paid attention to her Mother; Attentive at School shows how a child should have paid attention to his teacher; and Attentive at Play teaches how a child should have been attentive in an outdoor family activity.

At the beginning of each section there is a Bible verse to use alongside the stories, and each section concludes with Character Development Challenges which reinforce the lesson. There are full page black and white photos at the beginning of each story which depict children and could be colored if desired.

Scripture used is King James, which might need explanation for children who are not accustomed to this translation. Also, as a homeschool Mom I had to tweak the school stories a little bit, usually opting to show how this trait could be used in Sunday School or in group settings where other parents might be teaching or directing my child.
on September 12, 2009
I have really enjoyed using this book for my 4yo daughter's devotions in the morning before starting her homeschool work (even if she was attending school it would be wonderful to do over breakfast). She looks forward to hearing the stories and the questions at the end of the chapter give some ideas for additional activities. The chapter on faith had a suggestion to make a list of 10 things to pray for. It was so neat to sit with her and hear what she came up with. At prayer time before bed sometimes she gets frustrated because she doesn't know what to say but this activity helped her so much. The first chapter was about the concept of "Attentive". My daughter often notices now when she or others are being attentive and points it out to me. So, I believe the goal of the book is being met in that these ideas are really being understood and sticking with her. My one complaint (if you can call it a complaint) is that the version used for the scripture memory verses must be King James (thees and thous). This makes it a little harder for her little brain to commit these to memory. I think I will begin using the same verse in another translation from my bible and teaching her that instead. Overall though I am very pleased with this purchase and will order Book 2 when we complete this.
on May 8, 2007
I have loved and used The Child's character building book 2 for many years. Now I can add book one, full of additional character traits to my instruction. As a mom of now grown children, a current public school and Sunday school teacher, I appreciate the four fold application of each character trait; bible, home, school, play. This is a good resource for parents who want their kids to be able to identify and apply virtues that help us emulate Christ likeness. It can easily be adapted as active lessons for all children. My only wish is that the illustrations were color and less simplistic.
on May 27, 2009
A friend graciously gave me her copy of this book, and what a blessing it has been! We read it over 12 weeks, reading one application of each virtue each day, 4x/week. My kids and I adored it. I was tempted to let them color in the pages directly, but as it was shared among multiple children, I really couldn't. (I wish I had read Mrs. Thomson's review before we read it: what a great idea, photocopying the pictures so the kids can color them!)

In a world where molding a child's character seems to be sort of an afterthought, if even that, it was so edifying to just have simple applications demonstrating oft-overlooked virtues. Seriously, in a culture fixated on self-esteem, how wonderful is it to have children being instructed about contentment, meekness, or tenderheartedness? It spoke to my kids' hearts in a way that surprised me...they were just ravenous for the readings and follow-up discussions.

Volume 1 covers Attentive, Faith, Creative, Diligence, Patience, Contentment, Obedience, Wisdom, Tenderhearted, Thankfulness, Honesty, Joyfulness. I wish Volume 2 were still in print; alas, whomever is selling it at prices ranging from $57-155 could benefit from a little character development themselves.
on March 13, 2013
This book had some good examples of the different character qualities, however it was very Old Testament law based, and lacked some of the New Testament grace I was hoping for. I felt like I was trying to guilt my child into doing what is right.
on January 7, 2016
This book is really great. We use it for daily family worship with our 3yo and 5yo boys. Each day we go over the meaning of the word and the text and then read one of the corresponding stories. Nice and short and they seem to like it. My only problem is that I think some of the texts could be better chosen. Meaning I think there are some texts that apply better to the character trait than the one they chose. I will probably choose some different texts next time we go through it.
on January 29, 2010
I can't say enough about this book. All three of my children (5,4, 3) LOVE it and look forward to each story. We use the principles taught in this book on a daily basis. I recommend it to everyone I know who is trying to instill basic, Biblical truths in their kids. The stories are short and very true to life. My only complaint is that it's not long enough! We're so sad to be on the last character trait. Love it!
on September 17, 2009
I have used this resource for over 9 years and finally had to buy a new one. It is my very favorite for my little ones (3 to 8) for character training / building. The stories are short, and to the point, and for the kids who can't sit still, it is so helpful to be able to photocopy a coloring page from the story each day, to help keep them quiet and listening while mom reads. Each section comes with a specific character quality, its definition, a relevant Bible verse, and then a story demonstrating that quality in the Bible, at home, at school and at play. A little Bible study and question section is written at the end of each character quality. It packs a big, powerful punch for all ages. Mom and older kids are equally convicted!