Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Alabama: The History of a Deep South State
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 21, 2012
I was born in Alabama and this book really helped me understand the histories of my ancestors. Very well written and very readable.
on February 14, 2015
This was text book for graduate course. It is very easy to read and very interesting.
on January 8, 2015
This book is so full of apologetic bias that I really started to dislike it. The authors look down their noses at so much that is associated with rural life. There is a lot of good history included, but it's oftentimes presented with a wink and a smirk. They make unsupported comment after unsupported comment with regards to the motivations and inner thoughts of people profiled in the book. They do a good job of fairly representing the issue of slavery and racial relations, so I give them credit for that. But almost quit reading it several times due to the urban superiority slant they put on so many of the pages.
on September 14, 2015
It has been decades since my elementary and secondary education, and the details of Alabama's state history had nearly disappeared from conscious memory. Reading this book sparked faintly recalled facts, and created a new understanding of Alabama's complex historical legacy. As an adult there have been numerous times when I'd read a news story about our government at work in Montgomery that left me (SMH) shaking my head in disbelief. After reading this book which provides detailed historical context, it must confessed that I am less dismayed by what happens, but even more upset that we have allowed it to happen. If improvements require knowledge, then reading this book is a first step to acquiring the historical understanding needed to turn this state around and leave it as a place that others look toward as an example of positive transformation.