Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Character and Cops: Ethics in Policing
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon May 16, 2012
Delattre is a giant in the field of police ethics. He is one of those gifted few that can grasp the works of the greats and still speak in a voice that the average person can relate to. His takes on ethics, morality and what it takes to be an officer in democratic society are worth venturing into... even if you are not an officer, this is an important book to give insight into the how and why of what does and more importantly, what should happen.

I believe the strongest value of this book is his explanation of the police role in democratic society and natural tensions based upon that role. I have never seen it explained as succinctly or eloquently.

I initially read this book in the 90's and recalled it being a solid book, but dry and uninspiring. I just finished this edition (read it three times for a promotional exam) and either he has tightened his writing up tremendously, or I have finally grown enough to appreciate it... :)

In conclusion, regardless of why you pick it up, I do not think you can go wrong with this edition of Character and Cops!

All the best,

Jay
on May 31, 2014
Vivid examples that made sense. Referred to television show characters and even Dirty Harry, Helped me pass my supervisory test. Didn't have to read it straight through. Skipped to certain sections and then came back to others. Very thick book but worth the time to read. Helped me pass my promotional exam.
on April 21, 2014
This book is very insightful into the world of law enforcment. Whether one is new to law enforcement, a law enforcement manager or supervisor, or a law enforcement trainer this book is a must read.
on September 25, 2013
Book was in perfect condition and cheaper than a new book. I was bummed that they couldn't buy it back. I will use this method to purchase books through out my remaining college years.
on April 23, 2014
Excellent source of information for those who have have either worked within the criminal justice system, or those who choose to. It was very insightful and educational.
on January 5, 2014
Not your normal boring police ethics book. Material backed up with real police experiences. Interesting read! Highly recommended read for law enforcement personnel.
on March 27, 2014
Purchased it for a promotional exam. It was ok...a lot of fluff! Probably would have put it down except for it was required reading.
on July 6, 2014
Worked out great for class. Thanks.
on February 24, 2016