Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on June 7, 2000
This review text is an excellent resource for speech-pathology students. It provides a comprehensive review for the NESPA and comps. This book is even broad enough to include sections devoted to anatomy, physiology, neuro, research, audiology, and others. This book would be very valuable as you begin practice because it has every subject related to SLP's. Beyond the vast amount of subjects, this text provides chapter outlines, topic intros, summaries, and it highlights the most important areas. There are also test questions at the end of each chapter to help prepare for the NESPA. It's impossible to go through every bit of notes you took in graduate school! This text will help you review and help you identify weak areas. It is definetely a must for your collection.
on June 19, 2003
This book serves as a guide but I found it a little too basic. I find it's ok to have when studying but not worth the money. It fills over with information in bullet format - not really great to memorize and the information I found not to be really relevant. I recommend to go to the AHSA website and print out the content index of the praxis (for SLPs) exam. Take the index as a study guide and go to your books and notes from the lectures you had or go to the university library. I didn't use this book even though it was available to me and I passed the test the first time.
on June 16, 2002
I purchased this book my last semester of grad school. I found it to be a great book for refererence and resource. I wish I had had this book at the beginning and throughout the speech program. This book gives good information regarding theories, anatomy,neurology, speech and language. Other areas; for example special topics were more general (this area is a must for NESPA prep) It was also a plus to have to refresh and solidify many of the courses I had previously taken. As far as a preparation for the NESPA exam, I didn't feel it competely corrolated to what was actually tested on the exam. It did not assist higher order thinking skills or serious techniques needed to actuallly unravel the complexity of this exam. Lengthy case studies and/or hypothetical scenarios were not addressed, but then again I used other resources for NESPA preparation, and they too, never really prepared me for what was really on this exam. Still, it is a great book for basic reference and review for coursework. Maybe someone will publish a NESPA prep book that really depicts the ambiguity and lengthy "narrative-like questions" the NESPA requires one to answer.
on October 25, 2001
This book is a great resource for students in graduate school for communicative disorders and students who are studying to take the national exam for speech-language pathology. It gives a general overview of most of the main concepts taught at the graduate and undergraduate level. It is not a resource for obtaining detailed information.
on September 5, 2005
This book was required by my department, but I am elated that they required it. It is very helpful, in that it allows you to focus in on what will be asked on the NESPA. I use it in every one of my graduate classes and I will pass the NESPA on the first attempt because of it. The study tapes are a welcomed addition. I listen to the tapes on the way to classes and they do help in recalling the information I read. Its a must if you want to pass the test.
on November 23, 2004
This book is an excellent review for the certified speech language pathology exam. This was my number one resource while studying for the exam. I was able to pass the test the first time thanks to this book. It gives you great bullets of what to know and review for. I recommend using this book in preparation for the certified speech language pathology examination.
on January 17, 2010
I purchased this book to study for the Speech Language Pathology Praxis exam. I am a speech language pathologist with ten years of Canadian work experience. When we moved to Georgia, I had to write the Praxis exam in order to get my license to practice. This book was the only book I used to study for the exam. I felt that the book summarized the important information in each subject area very well. The information in each chapter was up to date as well. The practice exams on the CD that comes with the book were only somewhat helpful. The main criticism I have for the practice exams is that there is less text to read in the questions compared to the actual exam. When you write the Praxis, you will find that many of the questions require a lot of reading before you can answer the questions. I was really unprepared for this and, as a result, took the entire 2 hours to finish all the questions. I had no time to go back and check any answers. Still, I ended up with a score of 760.
on December 30, 2004
This is a great place to start. It gives reviews of the major theories for all disorders, and basic therapy strategies. It is outdated (published in 1999), so the book has some points that more current research either supports or challenges. Also, there are some minor errors in content, and some of the answers to the Q&A can't be found anywhere in the book. But, as I was reading, I was able to recall info from classes without pulling out textbooks, so it really did help me get an idea of what I knew and what still needed more work. I think the best strategy for studying for the NESPA is to start with this book and then review your notes when you find information that you think is contradictory from what you learned or when you feel information is lacking. Also, try to buy a used copy. It's way too expensive at regular price.
on February 9, 2008
If you plan to take the praxis for speech-language pathology this book is a must have. Memorize it and you will pass the test. In retrospect I wish I had purchased this book when I began my studies and referred to it for every class. That way at the end my study of it would've been more like a recap or review. In any case the book is an excellent resource and a reference manual you will refer to for years to come as you build your practice. Worth every penny.
on March 12, 2009
If you're looking for accurate, concise practice Praxis tests this is NOT the book for you.

Bought this book because my prof told me it would help study for Praxis AND it came with a fancy CD with practice tests! The content is ok (a little wordy at times, vague at others). I'm taking the paper-based Praxis, and it took me a long time to figure out how to print the practice tests (without answers) so I could practice with a hard copy.

The CD program was not created or proofed well. Some answers were typed in wrong (e.g., 43.13% instead of 34.13%). It wasn't that big of a deal because I already knew the answer...but what other questions did they screw up on? Also, test 1 did not have the correct answers on the CD...I had to look them up one by one with the "book reference" chapter.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in this book with regards to the Praxis practice part. It is a good quick reference for the wide range of subjects in SLP scope of practice. Wouldn't buy it again.