Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Systems Analysis and Design in a Changing World, 6th Edition
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 15, 2013
A $200 textbook that didn't teach me anything Wikipedia couldn't have done for free. Terrible, terrible book. Only good news is that I can sell it back to Amazon at the end of the semester for about half of what I paid. Buy used if you have to have this book for class, like I did.
on February 23, 2012
This book is an absolute waste of money. Explanations of concepts using the word "things" isn't the best way to explain an idea in my opinion. Every 2-3 pages there might be 1 paragraph of useful information. Teachers - Don't use this book, Students - Don't buy this book. There must be a better book on the subject area of Systems Analysis and Design out there somewhere.
on May 1, 2013
The 6th edition of System Analysis and Design in a Changing World is a major revision to all its predecessors. Unfortunately, the authors chose to sit idly by for over a decade, during which their book became obsolete, ambiguous and out-of-touch. Prior to the 6th edition, each eddition added a few notes, tips and technology.

Pedagogical approach, the content, the organization and overall lessons remained the same in each and every edition since the first.

It appears, however, that the authors have listened to their readers (FINALLY). IN this edition, instead of throwing a lot of nonsensical, useless and theoretical concepts and formal definitions at you, they decided to adopt a case-base approach. The cases are no longer presented as an exercise at the end of the chapters (who has time for those?) INSTEAD they are put right within the content.

Furthermore, ALL (previously) ambiguous, conceptual definitions have been replaced by CLEAR, better definitions. If you think that's not enough, keep reading: the authors actually now spend a few lines explaining each and every concept.. every single concept comes with a few real-life examples. It is impossible for you not to be able to get a concept/definition that they throw at you.. and you'll know their vlaue and place right away.

What a major re-work, revision and re-thinking! I'm so glad that the authors finally decided to change their old ways.

This book is indeed the best one on the market in this field. highly recommended
(WARNING: DO NOT BUY THE 5th or 4th edition - they are very bad).
on February 10, 2013
I am taking this class in college that requires this book. I tried to get away with the 5th edition, but they were nothing alike. The instructor assigned questions at the end of the chapter that didn't exist in the 5th edition so I had to upgrade. I can say though that the 6th edition is MUCH better than the 5th edition. However, as far as IT textbooks go, this one kinda sucks. IMO

Chris
on November 28, 2014
When I think of all the things I could do with over $200 it makes me a little sad that I have to buy this for a systems A&D class.... nevertheless it is a great textbook with a lot of excellent reference materials. I will be keeping it for informational purposes down the road.
on July 15, 2013
I got absolutely nothing out of the class with this book. And it was not at all the professors fault. We actually did have a good time in class. But doing homework from this book was a nightmare. Answers were nearly impossible to find for several questions. One answer I even had to look one chapter ahead to find. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT IF IT'S IN THE NEXT CHAPTER?????

Anyway, if you have to buy this book, Amazon is always the cheapest. But if you can avoid this class, AVOID IT!
on March 21, 2015
Personally I find this book very informative. Great examples, explanations, definitions. I bought this for my analysis class and found that it was more helpful to me having not taken my courses in order. I took all my programming classes before I did this, so I already had a pretty good handle on how certain things were done. That being said, I could see how this book could be a little confusing if you're new to programming concepts/terminology. I would recommend it with this caution in mind I guess.
on January 9, 2015
I did not like the way things were organized in this book. Many very important concepts in this book are lost within large blocks of small text without even changing the font. If you like to read these things word for word, go for it. You can learn these concepts online in a fraction of the time. I gave up on the book a third of the way through the semester and still scored an A. I just looked at what the chapter was going to teach and found well thought out powerpoints and pdf's from other universities to study.
on December 4, 2015
I won't deny that this book does get it's intended point across. However, I have not been a fan of Cengage books for some time. They tend to be a rather dry read, and with long chapters (average for this book is around 30 pages), comprehension and retention can be a challenge. In all fairness, though, this particular title was probably a little better than some of the past Cengage books I've studied.
on May 5, 2016
This book was used during our Capstone class and provided a great refresher on many of the topics of the entire degree.

Get this book for an intro or exit to an IS program, but don't use it for a deep dive into any of the topics (well, maybe at an undergrad level).