Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Evernote For Dummies
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon April 28, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Evernote is a great application, but it has always had one flaw: While there is excellent online support, there has never been an instruction manual for it. That's what "Evernote for Dummies" is, and it is an outstanding guide.

The book covers everything, from downloading and installing the program, through starting it and creating a note, and on to integrating it with other applications. It is thorough without being pedantic and conversational without being simplistic. Style is very much a matter of personal preference, but I found the tone of the book absolutely perfect.

In addition, readers of other "...for Dummies" books know that the authors often try hard to be cutsie. For me, a little of that goes a long way--a long, LONG way--because I want solid information, not lame humor. This book is completely free of that kind of cutsiness. The author is clearly a professional, and he treats the reader with respect.

Bottom line: If you need a guide to Evernote's features and operation, this is the book to buy. It's packed with good, solid information and written in an easy-to-understand, adult manner.
66 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 15, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using Evernote for a little over a year now, and have been doing so without a Dummies Guide or any other guide. So, I asked for this book to see if it would strengthen my Evernote skills beyond what I have come up with so far. Of course, if you have no use for Evernote, you won't like this book--although reading the first chapter will help you see why you might have a use for Evernote after all.

However, I'm not selling Evernote here-- I'm talking about the Evernote for Dummies book.

On to that book: Evernote for Dummies fits pretty well alongside other for Dummies books that I have seen: it starts extremely basic. As in, the first couple of chapters really are just about justifying even having Evernote. After that, it is the very basics of usage: how to sign up, how to create a note, how to install on more than one device. Most users either figure these things out or don't bother with the software.

The next several chapters give the intermediate type of information that some users will have figured out on their own or with the Evernote help system. It's plainly presented and easy to apply, just like the instructions on device-specific usage.

The closing chapters give a brief look towards advanced use, but not a lot of detail is present.

Summary run down: if you are new to Evernote, it's useful. I wish I had used this a year ago before I fought through learning these basics of the system. The drawback is that software moves pretty quickly, especially when you are dealing with a multi-platform program like Evernote and some of the features/screenshots are going to be different soon, if not already.

It's a good cheap guide if you want that in print, but you can gather most of this info on the web through Evernote's own tutorials. The biggest benefit is the shared notebook on Evernote from the author, but that's accessible to anyone who searches for the Evernote for Dummies Notebook--you don't need the book for that.

3 stars: not indispensable, but helpful.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I chose this book from the Vine because I figured that it was a more comprehensive guide than Evernote Essentials, the 100 page guide that has been the standard for Evernote the past couple of years. There are some parts of this book that cover new material, but overall I still like the Evernote Essentials guide better.

The format of the Dummies books is aging fast. I love the detailed table of contents that make it so easy to find something, but I hate the page layout. It is so busy that its easy to lose the information given. There is also a lot of repetition in a book like this, and if you have ever used Evernote you won't need much of it.

Overall, I like Evernote Essentials better because it just gives you the information you will actually use, its prettier, and it's the original (Evernote actually hired the author after he wrote it). That being said, if you already have the Essentials book, this Dummies title may give you a few extra tips. The last section on tips for business and school had some great ideas and I picked up some info on how to use Evernote with my Kindle that I was not aware of. Recommended for Evernote junkies who want to learn a little more or newbies looking for a deal ($15 bucks is a great price, half of the Essentials guide).
on June 18, 2012
As a completely new user--I downloaded Evernote on Thursday, ordered the book Thursday afternoon, received it Saturday with Amazon Prime, and finished it Monday--this book met all of my expectations. I know I'll be referring to it repeatedly as I become more familiar with the features. Just reading it EXPOSED me to the features--which was the primary reason I purchased the book.

I saw a handful of books on Evernote on Amazon, and opted for a printed version so I could highlight important things I learned and then pass the book on to my co-workers. I chose Evernote for Dummies because my familiarity with the 'for Dummies' series was almost a guarantee the book would provide a good overview with helpful tips and short, easy-to-read sections--and I was right.

Particularly valuable were the platform-specific instructions. For any particular feature, the author explained how it worked on Windows, Mac, iWhatever, Android, and Blackberry; for any example of web interaction, he gave separate instructions for Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer. This made for quick reading too because I could simply skip over all the sections related to platforms I did not need.

The only thing I wish this book had more of was "Best Practices". If I am truly going to fill Evernote with hundreds--and then thousands--of notes, receipts, screen shots, photos of items in stores, blogs, great quotes, Kindle/Nook notes, etc., I would like to have seen some real-life examples of how to organize it all. The author encourages organization and explains (briefly) how to do it, but he does not give a practical example of how to do that with thousands of items. So I am a little worried about leaping in the deep end lest I inadvertently develop a poor organization structure. I realize Evernote is not rigid, so his examples might imply only one correct way when that's not true, but that still leaves me wanting. Perhaps the forums or some online videos will expand on that.

I highly recommend this book. It took me about 2-3 hours of thoughtful reading, including both highlighting key points and testing a couple of things I knew I would be doing right away. This book was an excellent purchase for me and saved me many hours of trial and error and even hours of scouring the Evernote forum.
on May 12, 2012
I was hoping to get some helpful advice about how to use Evernote but this book was poorly written, poorly edited and poorly produced. The book sometimes refers to icons or figures that are not actually reproduced on the page and the figures that are included are hard to read. The instructions and help provided are not consistently easy to follow. If you are trying to learn how to use Evernote, I would not bother with Evernote for Dummies.
on April 6, 2013
Given the fact that Evernote technical and customer support are LIGHT YEARS BEHIND the potential of their product, "Evernote For Dummies" helps to fill that enormous vacuum. It is a reasonably easy read (do it with Evernote on the screen in front of you). Evernote makes it abundantly clear their only objective is to move you from FREE to PREMIUM.-- and they absolutely refuse ANY telephone contact service at either level. Their "live chat tech support" offering (not available to FREE customers) is archaic, tiresome and totally enervating. I believe "Dummies" would have been a treasure to Moses as he wandered for forty years in the desert, much like the new Evernote customer stumbles through the darkness of the company's antediluvian support system. Sama does a good job. Head and shoulders above the other two third-party Evernote books I purchased. Hardest part of this purchase was admitting I am a Dummy. I fully expected Amazon to come to my rescue.
on May 25, 2012
Ran into the first typo pretty early on - a sentence that was obviously missing at least one word.

Understand that you don't need a lot of what's in this book unless you are running Apple AND Windows AND Android products plus the web app, but since Evernote works so well on so many platforms, the author is obliged to cover them all.

I ordered this book and then spent the two days before it arrived playing with Evernote and reading their tips and help screens. Having used Springpad for a few months, I already understood the concepts of notebooks and notes and sharing. I wanted this book to uncover unique features and approaches for using Evernote. Sorry, but it just wasn't there.

Toward the end of the book, the author provides some "useful" links. The author pointed to the Evernote Trunk page, and said to just "click the Notebooks tab". Couldn't find that link anywhere on the Trunk page. Then he provided links to someone's three-part compilation of tips; those links didn't work, but I found that writer's tumblr page, but it hadn't been updated in nearly 7 months. (With a product like Evernote that's always expanding it's device base and capabilities and affiliated apps, 7 months is a long time. And I acknowledge that under those circumstances, it's next to impossible to write a book and get it published and have relevant "current" information.)

About the only benefit for me was stumbling onto the Evernote official update feed and their FB page, but I didn't really need to pay to get those.

If you're considering trying out Evernote or you've just created an Evernote account and aren't sure what to do next or where to get help, then maybe this book with help you. If the concepts of Evernote or Springpad notebooks and notes and sharing is new to you, then this book may help you.
on May 24, 2013
I have several Evernote booklets and cheatsheets that I downloaded here and there, but I always seem to come back to the Dummies books. I like the consistent format, and the nice "chunking out" of topics, so that I can go from the Intro to the specific task at hand. I assumed that I could manage Evernote on my own, as I have some experience with this sort of thing. Well, I have to admit that I did not find the interface intuitive, and once I completed the first section of this book, I was able to begin to sketch out the structure of my Notebooks. The only thing missing for me was a collection of annoted screen prints, showing the controls and icons.The author covers Notebooks, Notes, and Tags very well, and I was happy to have a "real book" to jot stuff in the margins and dog ear the pages. I was immediately comfortable with the trusted Dummies name, and the book did not let me down.
on May 28, 2013
If you're just starting to use Evernote then you absolutely need this book. Evernote is a powerhouse of a program with a lot of features. However, instead of being needlessly complicated for the beginner, you can use the software very simply and then expand your feature set as you go. Evernote for Dummies is excellent for guidance in getting you started and then helping you progress to using more features.
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
First let me say that Evernote is the best app I have on any of my devices. I use it constantly and because it syncs between all my devices which is great. So I thought I would learn what I didn't know about it. And . . . there was a lot I didn't know. This book is just what the doctor ordered. It opened up a lot of new features for me that make my life easier. The book is clear and concise and pretty well written. When I discovered there was a Kindle version I bought it for my Kindle Fire. I recommend both the versions and recommend Evernote to anyone with a smart phone, PC and/or other Android device.